Abs work out question

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by MindTricks, Apr 2, 2013.

1. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

I got a list with about 13-15 different ab exercises, like crunches, leg raises, scissors etc...

to get better results should i;

do more reps but with some rests between exercises

or

less reps but with out rest between exercises

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you know the basics of weight training? If so, then all the rules apply to your core muscles except you can do some kind of work with them nearly every day. Make sure you progress slowly to the more difficult exercises! Difficult core exercises when you're not ready for them are a good way to throw out your back when they involve rotation!

3. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

whats the aim of this workout ?

4. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

yeah, thanks

first time i started working on my abs separately , used to just get them from other work outs and warm ups

be able to take punches and look good :p

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

To look good you need to attend to your diet, not do crunches. The saying 'abs are built in the kitchen' is the truth.

6. Ero-Sennin

Is that a sarcastic "yeah thanks?"

7. Ero-Sennin

I read that and though, "Hmm, I wonder if they sell abdominal muscles of swine or cattle at any grocery stores?" :eek:

8. Frodocious

Well tripe is stomach, so it's close! :)

9. Ero-Sennin

Is tripe something I shouldn't explain to my wife if I cook it for dinner? :confused:

10. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

i am pretty skinny...

noope.. i said yeah to "do u know basics" and thanks for you telling me "same rules apply"

sorry for confusion

11. Ero-Sennin

No problem! Abdominals work the same way. You would do good to set your rep range for hypertrophy (10-12 really concentrated reps w/ the correct ration for eccentric and concentric portions of the movement) and then dieting and burning calories to get that "good looking" look.

As far as being able to take a hit, do sit ups for a 3 min rnd while pounding your abdominals with your hands or a med ball. Toughens up that abs pretty good.

12. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

aha thats pretty nasty exercise we did it at our circuit training once, thx for reminding me !

13. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

how?

14. Ero-Sennin

I don't really know to be honest. I can make a few guesses at it, but it's a common practice in boxing gyms w/ all levels of fighters. I should have phrased that suggestion in a different way, starting with "a lot of boxers do . . . . . to toughen up their abs, give it a try?"

15. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I guess you hold the medicine ball above your head, do a sit up then when you're lying down, drop the medicine ball on your abs, pick it up, do a sit up, drop the ball, pick it up, do a sit up...

16. Ero-Sennin

Nooooo. As you sit up, and as you come down you pound (tap really hard) the med ball into sensitive parts of your abdominals (not so hard you hurt yourself). Same thing with your firsts. There is no real "acceleration" of the med ball from any real distance.

17. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I think it's good to practice that quick tensing needed to take gut shots. I've not used a medicine ball, but some friendly punching or jogging over each other's stomachs can be good.

18. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I use 'drop' very loosely lol.

I find getting a partner to slap you with a Thai pad works pretty well too.

19. Frodocious

LOL! It depends how squeamish she is over what she eats! :D

20. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Amen. You can have monster abs, but underneath even half an inch of body fat, you won't notice them that much. If you want to look ripped, diet is 90% of the result. And abs are among the more easy muscles to show off. If you want nice muscle definition in your arms and shoulders, you need to work a lot of weight and reduce your body fat a LOT. At least in my experience.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013