About the art...

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Greg-VT, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Hii...

Can someone give a basic description of Ninjitsu for me please? Principles, ideas, type of training (Kata.. etc)?

I've found a local training center here in Newie. I'd just like a bit of info before I go check it out.

Thanks

2. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

be relaxed, don't go bowing and osu'in but be respectful. if there wearing hoods or uttering starwars type cr3p, or getting all mystical, walk out the door(if i'ts a proper school your looking for anyway.

the art centers around natural body movement for power, if you see tae qwon do type kicks, the guy is probably teaching that art and calling it ninjutsu.

enjoy

dazza

3. Kalifallen

Kalifallen looking for partner

It is a pretty basic art. You have strikes (punches and kicks), highest you kick is about chest hight, attacking muscle and bone strikes, some pressure point strikes, throws, joint locking techs, and grappling. Also, near the black belt ranks you'll probably learn some stealth, meditation, spiritual and mental stuff, how to take care of your body, climbing techs, weaponary - bokken/sword, kusari-fundo, shuko, shuriken, hanbo, and probably some others. I think that's about it....
    It is generally a very open atmosphere. Ninjutsu is all about working on your strengths and improving your weaknesses. Plus, learning how to avoid battles and, when need be, to stop your opponent before the battle gets out of hand.

So, if or when you got there just be polite and follow the rules. Also, ask a lot of good questions. Like, how do you teach? What style of ninjutsu (Bujinkan, Genbukan, another)? Instead of asking questions like, How long will it take me to learn? Or anything that might sound childish or unclear. Like, instead of saying, When am I going to learn fill in the blank? Ask, What will you be teaching in the Kyu ranks? Or, What will you be teaching in white belt through 7th Kyu? A question like that sounds much better if you have to ask a question like that because it sounds like you have put some thought into it and it is easier for them to understand and answer.