about sound card

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Infinity, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Infinity

Infinity -Invincible-

i have a sound card that can output 192k HZ sound , if i select it can my speakers play it? if a speak is not capable of it can it still work? i read somwhere that it deosnt mater what the speaker can do itll be fine. but what if it cant then the sound would be bad>?

2. KageAkuma

KageAkuma Valued Member

If you put too much output and your speakers can't handle it, you'll blow your speakers. Simple as that. You have to look up your speakers and see what they can handle.

3. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Test your speakers for high frequency outputs like this by firing them up, and lowering them into a bucket of water, while standing on one leg to prevent an electical circuit through your body, if you can still hear them when they are underwater you are going to be ok.

4. xen

xen insanity by design

no speakers on the planet will be designed to output 192kHz.

Human hearing tops out at 20Khz

Also, Hz is a measure of frequency, not power.

What you will usually see is frequencies of that magnitude quoted alongside a 'bit' number.

This is telling you how fast the sound-card's analogue to digital converter can sample an input and how fine the amplitude resolution of the sampling process is.

Just to put this in perspective, CD quality is defined to be 44.1kHz/16-bit.

5. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

As stated above, 192 khz is the resolution of the sound, it has no relation to power, it's a digital figure...sort of like dpi of an image...the speakers never hear digital data, they get the signal after it goes thru a D/A convertor and gets turned into an analog signal.

Infinity, not to sound mean or anything, but your questions are just funny sometimes, you need to take some basic PC classes or something. You say somethings, in all my years of techning, I have never heard anyone say, and I thought I have heard itall, you prove me wrong frequently.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  6. Durkhrod Chogori

Durkhrod Chogori Valued Member

Mate, why don't you switch from computers to this kind of stuff. You'll have more fun and get less stressed:

[​IMG]

;)