AAU NJ State Karaate Championships

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Tom O'Brien, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

The Ronin Martial Arts Club competed @ the AAU NJ State Championships today! I took gold in fighting (kumite), silver in forms (kata) & bronze in weapons (kobudo), in the 'old geezer's' division. Misha took silver in forms & bronze in fighting & weapons. Miguel took gold in fighting & forms & Josh took gold in fighting & weapons, silver in forms. 6 of us competed & we took 11 medals home! :cool:
    Here is my fight for gold, I'm on the right. It's 45+ - I'm 64 ;)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Congratulations Tom.

Should there be a link?

3. Tom O'Brien

AAU State Championships

Oops! The upload failed - back to the drawing board. I'm old & technologically challenged :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  4. Tom O'Brien

AAU State Championships

OK, sorry about that. Here are the old geezers fighting. Again - I'm the handsome guy on the right ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki_nBkTsEuI"]AAU NJ Karate Championships, 4/14/13, Sensei Tom O'Brien, fight for gold, adv. 45+ - YouTube[/ame]

5. stuckTKD

stuckTKD Valued Member

Jeez Tom, well done and brilliant at 64! I really hope I am as fit as that and still competing at that age, fantastic achievement keep it going.

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I liked the uraken-uchi at 02:00 - straight off the mark and he didn't see it coming.

7. Tom O'Brien

AAU Kumite

Thanks guys! Yeah that uraken-uchi at 02:00 is something I try to impart to my students to get a quick waza-ari. That & the head kick (jodan mawashi geri) helped me. I was getting my butt kicked in the beginning. I could feel that guy & the guy before him actually run out of gas. The cardio is very important.

8. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I wish my knees would cooperate and let me compete still.