a Travesty in action

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Travess, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Cheers - Family film night, with my feet up, has definitely been earned.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  2. Travess

Monday (08/04/19) - Rest Day

Tuesday (09/04/19)

I had intended a second rest day for myself today, but I was needed to provide cover at one of our sister school, as 1 instructor would be absent, whilst the other one would be running late.

Karate @ 60 minutes - I got things underway with some moderate Pad Drills, by means of a warm up, before moving into some Restrictive Sparring/Partner Drills (prescribed attacks, and counters, mixed up, and thrown randomly)

I then broke the class down into Kata Groups, and assigned senior grades to work with those groups - It was shortly after this that one of the main instructors turned up, so I slotted myself with a pair that had just started to learn Seyunchin.

Not sure what tomorrow will hold yet.

Travess

3. animeshsaxena

animeshsaxena New Member

Please share the best one from this thread.

4. animeshsaxena

animeshsaxena New Member

Please share the best one from this thread.

5. Travess

Gotta be honest with you @animeshsaxena, I have no idea what you are referring to...

Wednesday (10/04/19)

I had no idea of what I wanted to do, nor any real idea of what direction I want my training to take over the next few months, so, for today, I just did a little something to get myself moving.

Warm-up:
    5 x 45 seconds of Light Shadow Boxing
    10 minutes of Stretching

Exercise:
    I decided that it was (way passed) time that I tried to introduce some Yoga into my training repertoire (something that my brother has been pestering me to do for a few years now)

In the 1st instance, I just decided to download an at home Yoga App. to get the ball rolling, rather than spending the time/money, on a local group.

Cool Down:
    10 minutes of Stretching
    Tensho Kata

Duration: 45 mins
    Starting HR: 71 bpm
    Max HR: 144 bpm
    Average HR: 90 bpm
    Calories: 183 used

Travess

axelb likes this.
  6. Travess

Thursday (11/04/19)

Kids Karate @ 60 minutes - I got things underway today with some High Intensity Drills, involving Shuttle Sprints, Push Ups, Burpees, and lots and lots of Padwork, to get their little heartrates up.

After a short breather (whilst we got them kitted up with chest protectors) we worked on a few Sparring skills - I took the intermediates and seniors thru a few Set Combination and Conditioning Drills, to start with, then moved on to Restricted (only Bodyshots, front kicks, and thigh kicks allowed) 'Free' Sparring. (Bit of an oxymoron there) Meanwhile, one of the other Sempais took the junior grades thru Light Contact Sparring Drills.

They all did really well, but I was especially impressed by a select few, whose sparring has come a long way.

Adults Karate @ 90 minutes - It has been a fair few sessions since I took part fully (i.e. not been teaching) but tonight I found myself back in the line-up (which was nice)
    Sensei got us warmed up (and then some) with a good 20-minutes of Kihon Drills, before breaking the class down in 2 groups. Not sure what the other guys were doing, but my group spent the next 1-hour+ on Sanchin Kata, mostly looking at Body Stacking, Appropriate Tension, Timing and of course, Breathing. (There was even time for 10-minutes of [soft] Shime Testing at the end to boot)

Good times...

Travess

axelb likes this.
  7. Travess

I signed in today to add my log for the weekend, but was surprised to find out that I'd not even added Friday's efforts yet...

Friday (12/04/19)

AM:
    I started my morning (after breakfast) with a spot of Walking, on my new (to me) Treadmill - I mostly just set it up to adjust the feet, to make sure that it was level, but I figured I'd take it for a very brief spin whilst I was there.

Duration: 6 minutes
    Distance: 0.29 of a mile
    Average Pace: 17m 06s per/mile

PM:
    Note to self: If you are planning on an active rest day, with nothing much more done than stretching (and possibly yoga) on the cards, then listening to Alexa blast out the Rocky 4 soundtrack, whilst you prepare dinner, probably isn't the best move!

Warm-up:
    6 minutes on the Treadmill (3 walking / 2 jogging / 1 sprinting)
    10+ minutes of Stretching
    Sanchin Kata

Workout:
    Decided to head out into the garage, for a bit of Low Level Lifting, working in Supersets, of just 2 exercises.

Superset 1: (10 down to 5 reps)
    10kg Bicep Curls / 25kg Flat Bench Press

Superset 2: (7 down to 3 reps)
    20kg Bicep Curls / 35kg Flat Bench Press

Cool Down:
    10 minute Yoga Exercise
    Tensho Kata

Duration: 57 minutes
    Starting HR: 73 bpm
    Max HR: 176 bpm
    Average HR: 107 bpm
    Calories: 306 used

Travess

axelb likes this.
  8. Travess

Continuing my relaxed post-run week, I decided to give myself a couple of Active Rest Days, over the weekend.

Saturday (13/04/19) - Active Rest Day #1

Not an overtly energetic day, but with 60 minutes of Kids Karate in the morning, and just north of 20,000 steps walked throughout the day, it wasn't exactly sedentary either.

Sunday (14/04/19) - Active Rest Day #2

Not as many steps hit as yesterday, coming in at just over 16,000, but I did allow myself a low energy 'workout' just after waking up - This consisted of 10+ minutes of Stretching, followed by 4-5 minutes with the Foam Roller, then finishing up with a gentle 13+ minute Yoga set.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  9. Travess

Monday (15/04/19) - Rest Day #1

I had (half) intended today to be the day that I started to ramp things up again slightly, but things didn't exactly workout the way I'd planned - I still attended Karate tonight though (but I was teaching for the entire session) and, as with yesterday, I still got in around 16,000 steps.

Tuesday (16/04/19) - Rest Day #2

This ended up being a proper rest day - No stretching, no yoga, no teaching, and not even 10,000 steps reached.

My week of easy going seems to be in danger of turning into 10 days of easy going...

Tuesday (17/04/19)

Time to stop this lazy train in its tracks, and put my new Treadmill to a proper rest (despite that fact that my wife, and my eldest, have been using it everyday since I bought it!)

Warm-up:
    25 minute Walk

Tempo Run:
    I played with the pace pretty regularly during this run, ranging (up and down) in speed between 4 mph and 10 mph, in 0.5 mph increments, every 60-90 seconds.

Duration: 30 minutes
    Distance: 3.3 miles
    Pace: 9m 07s per mile

Cool Down:
    10+ minute Yoga set
    Tensho Kata

Duration: 80 minutes
    Starting HR: 78 bpm
    Max HR: 188 bpm
    Average HR: 121 bpm
    Calories: 657 used

Glad to be 'back on the horse'

Travess

axelb likes this.
  10. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

New treadmill sounds like it's getting use!

We've been thinking of getting a new treadmill for a while, ours has no incline feature and Max weight 15stone (I usually fluctuate between 13.5-14.5 throughout the year).

I feel I should join the yoga train also :D

11. Travess

I'll be honest, and confess that an upper weight limit never even occurred to me - Just looked up my model (Horizon Omega GT) and it apparently is safe up to 19.5 stone, and hopefully I'll not be pushing that anytime soon.
    I'm far from a 'Yogi' (is that the right term?) as I just follow a few simple exercises/poses on my phone, but hopefully I will start to see some benefits... Eventually.
    Wednesday obviously, not Tuesday

Thursday (18/04/19)

AM:
    No set stretching routine or yoga planned for me this morning (though I may try to squeeze in the latter at some point later on) just some time on the TRX, for a Deck of Cards Arms/Legs session.

Warm-up:
    5 minutes of ROM/Mobility Drills

Deck of Cards:
    Clubs - Bicep Curls
    Hearts - Reverse Lunges
    Spades - Tricep Curls
    Diamonds - Pistol Squats

Cool Down:
    5 minutes of Stretching

Duration: 37 minutes
    Starting HR: 69 bpm
    Max HR: 154 bpm
    Average HR: 112 bpm
    Calories: 253 used

PM:
    Teaching during both Karate sessions tonight - Light Sparring, Ground Skills and Randori for the kids, and Kata, devising a Flow Drill, and then adapting it as part of a Sparring Drill for the Adults

I did however manage to squeeze in my 10+ minute Yoga set, in between the sessions.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  12. Travess

Friday (19/04/19) - Rest Day

This was a family day out kind of a day, so despite some Foam Rollering in the evening, and the 12,000+ steps that running around with my kids afforded me, my day was mostly spent chilling (whilst at the same time suffering from rather harsh leg DOMs!)

Saturday (20/04/19) - Active Rest Day

More of a Self Care kind of a day, than an active rest day per say, as I am currently still a suffering resident of DOMs-ville. (I was even uncharacteristically inactive during the Kids Karate class this morning)

Late Evening:
    5 minutes with the Foam Roller
    2 minutes with the Foam Roller
    10+ minutes Yoga

Tomorrow will definitely be a training day for me now though, regardless of how my legs are feeling.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  13. Travess

Yeah, maybe not!

Sunday (21/04/19) - Active Rest Day

5 minutes using the Foam Roller, 10+ minutes of Stretching, and a little over 15,000 steps - Between Easter egg hunts, family get togethers, helping my parents shift furniture, and getting my head down ahead of the night-shift, I was left with very little time for anything else.

Monday (22/04/19)

Karate @ 90 minutes - Sensei gave us no quarter tonight, getting us started with 15 minutes of High Intensity Kihon, before moving us straight onto 30 minutes of Pad Drills, focusing on a couple of variations of Mae Geri (Keage and Kin)

With half the session now behind is, we finally got to slow things down a little, the cost of which though was that we would now be kicking each other - Working on Inside Leg Kicks (good job my DOMs had subsided) as a posture disruption technique, to see what Striking opportunities they opened up, as part of a Restrictive Sparring Drill.

Slowing things down further, we finished up the 90 minutes with some Relaxed Kata.

Extra Credit:
    Foam Roller
    Stretching
    15,000+ steps

Travess

axelb likes this.
  14. Travess

Tuesday (23/04/19) - Another!!! Active Rest Day

The usual format of Foam Rollering, a set Yoga routine, around 10 minutes of Stretching, and somewhere in the region of 18,000 steps walked.

Note:
    I'm squeezing in as many if these as I can for the time being, but will be cutting them down to once or twice a week, once we get into May.

Wednesday (24/04/19)

As I spent most of the day sleeping, and would be spending close to 6-hours sat on my backside, watching an Avengers double bill in the evening, I figured I'd bang out a quick 5km Tempo Run, to keep my demons at bay.

Warm-up:
    20(ish) minutes of Walking (school run)

Run:
    Distance: 5km
    Duration: 25m 32s
    Slowest Pace: 6m 11s per/km
    Fastest Pace: 4m 05s per/km
    Average Pace: 5m 10s per/km

Cool Down:
    10 minutes of Stretching

Duration: approx 60 minutes
    Starting HR: 85 bpm
    Max HR: 186 bpm
    Average HR: 143 bpm
    Calories: 532 used

Travess

15. Travess

Thursday (25/04/19)

No extra curricular activities today, just my regular Thursday evening Karate classes.

Kids Karate @ 60 minutes
    - Today's session was dedicated to Ground Submission Skills, focusing on Posture Disruption, Scalf Hold, Side 4 Quarters Hold and Rear Naked Choke, all of which were drilled in semi-compliant isolation. We then finished up with 15 minutes of Free Randori, pressuring testing the above holds/chokes, against non-compliant opponents.

Adults Karate @ 90 minutes - Sensei focused on 2 traditional themes tonight - Kihon and Kata - The former of which started off as standard line-work, but then evolved into kind of a Hybrid Style, which was half way between Traditional Kihon, and Shadow Boxing, which was interesting.

Next up, we broke down into grade groups, and focused on the Kata portion of the class - Myself, and my peers got to work on Shisochin. We had 2 in our group that had only just started to learn this Kata, so we didn't really stray beyond just practicing it end-to-end.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  16. Travess

Friday (26/04/19)

I signed up to a gym this morning, one that boasts, in addition to all the regular things that a gym might have, BJJ classes, MMA classes, Boxing Classes, and even a Wrestling class (run by a guy with a background in Russian Sambo) which I am hoping to sample, over the coming weeks.

There were no classes when I popped in for my tour today, so I just did a bit of this, and a bit of that.

Warm-up:
    5 minutes of Treadmill Running
    5 minutes of Stretching

Weights:
    Lateral Pull Downs* (10, 9, 8, 7)
    40kg Weighted Crunches (10, 9, 8, 7)
    35 kg Flat Bench (4 x 4)
    20kg Bicep Curls (9, 8, 7, 6)

Note: *unknown weight - They were old plates, and the numbers had worn out of recognition

Extra Credit:
    4 x 45 second High Intensity rounds on the Heavy-Bag (15s rest between each)

Cool Down:
    5 minutes of Treadmill Walking, whilst Stretching out my arms and chest.

Duration: 50 minutes
    Starting HR: 68 bpm
    Max HR: 187 bpm
    Average HR: 121 bpm
    Calories: 341 used

Travess

axelb likes this.
  17. axelb

I went to a gym like that, took me a while to work out what weight the plates were and if they were lbs or kgs :D

Sounds like a good gym, plenty to offer :)

Travess likes this.
  18. Travess

Saturday (27/04/19) - Rest Day

I spent the majority of the day, as an official at an all day (9am til 4pm) Karate event, where I could be found either sitting on the panel of a Junior Shodan-Ho Grading (mid-morning) running the Kata Competitions (mid-day to mid-afternoon) or Scoring during the Team Event (late afternoon)

Not a workout in sight, but still a pretty exhausting day.

Sunday (28/04/19)

Still with no real focus in place with my training, I only really wanted to do some Stretching, and practice a little Kata today, but I figured that I might as well try and get my heartrate up whilst I was at it.

Warm-up:
    5 mins Foam Roller
    5 mins Slow Treadmill (6m 45s per/km)
    10 mins of Stretching

Workout:
    5 x 45s Shadow Boxing (15s rest periods)
    5 mins Moderate Treadmill (5m 44s per/km)
    5 x Kata (Ichi, Ni, Saifa, Seyunchin and Shisochin)

Cool Down:
    10 minute Yoga Routine
    Tensho Kata

Duration: 45 minutes
    Starting HR: 73 bpm
    Max HR: 166 bpm
    Average HR: 122 bpm
    Calories: 334 used

Travess

axelb likes this.
  19. Travess

Monday (29/04/19)

Karate @ 90 minutes
    Tonight (finally) was a session that I had really been looking forward to - As part of our clubs 2nd Dan syllabus, the candidate must train in another discipline, outside of our school/style, for approximately 6 months. On completion of their extra curricular training, they would then plan a teach back session, based on what they had learned, and run a mini Seminar for the rest of the club.

The extra curricular training in this instance was Boxing (The candidate even took part in one of those charity White Collar Boxing, open to the public events, that seem to be all the rage these day)

(I took the warm-up, whilst the instructors discussed the lesson plan) We started off with some Footwork Drills, working on Angle Changes, how good footwork can aid good Head Movement, and Range (reading and countering your partners footwork)

Next on the agenda was a Depth Perception/Timing Drill, which involved striking a Medicine Ball (jab, cross, or uppercut) that was being thrown AT you - This was done stationary in the 1st instance, then again dynamically, utilising the above mentioned footwork.

The seminar finished up with a Pad Flow Drill, which started off with a simple Jab, Cross, Hook sequence, but which added in Slips, Bobs, Weaves, and Counterstrikes along the way, again calling upon the head movement/footwork drills already covered earlier in the class.

This was a lot of fun, which was presented in an informative and enthusiastic manner - Two thumbs WAY up!

Travess

axelb likes this.
  20. axelb

That sounds like a great syllabus concept for Dan grades, and clearly benefiting all with the teach back.

Travess likes this.