a Travesty in action

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Travess, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Friday (02/11/18)

Following an unexpected rest day yesterday, and with another planned for tomorrow (Kids grading from 9 til 3, which will probably leave me all Karate'd out for the day) I decided to bite the bullet, and get another Insanity Workout out of the way.

I had been dreading this one, entitled Pure Cardio, since discovering that it was nearly all work, with barely any rest periods.

As per the other discs, this one started with the usual warm up of 10+ minutes of Moderate/High Cardio Drills, followed (after a 30 sec rest) by 7+ minutes of Stretching/Breathing Exercises.

The main routine (following another 30 sec rest) was 15 minutes (uninterrupted) of High/Intensive Cardio Drills - made up of 15 separate drills, running for 1 minute a piece.

The session then finished up (following the 3rd and final 30 sec scheduled rest) with 5+ more minutes of Stretching and Breathing Drills - which I also added a Tensho Kata to.

Note: the full workout was only meant have 1m 30s worth of rest (3 x 30s) but due to a few unscheduled water/towel breaks, I think my overall rest time was somewhere between 2m and 2m 30s

Duration: 40 mins
    Starting HR: 88 bpm (following a 30 min walk)
    Max HR: 179 bpm
    Average HR: 154 bpm
    Calories: 401 used

Travess

axelb likes this.
  2. Travess

Saturday (03/11/18) - Rest Day

Sunday (04/11/18)

Okay, so I didn't actually have anything planned today, I just kind of rolled outta bed, started pushing the ground, and the rest just folliwed.

40 x Push Ups
    - 10 x Military (on knuckles) 10 x Regular, 10 x Incline and 10 x Decline.

40 x Squats - 10 x Regular, 10 x Sumo, 10 x Goblet (12kg KB) and 10 x Pistol. (5, 5)

40 x Abs/Core - 10 x Crunches, 10 x Mason Twists, 10 x Leg Raises, and 10 x Full Sit Ups.

40 x Bicep Curls - 20 x Supinated Grip (10, 10) and 20 x Hammer Grip (10, 10)

Not a massive workout day, by any stretch of the imagination, (The whole thing only took about 10 minutes - these are what my Wife likes to refer to as more 'age appropriate' workouts) but it'll do for today.

Travess

Monkey_Magic and axelb like this.
  3. Travess

Monday (05/11/18)

Karate @ 110 minutes - I was at the hall, changed and ready, 20 minutes before the start of the session, so I took the time to run myself thru some Moderate Cardio Drills (10 mins) as well as a few Static Stretching Exercises (the other 10 minutes)

Once the class was underway, we jumped straight into some work on Peer-to-Peer Kata Analysis - Which in today's case, made up the 1st 70 minutes of the session - I was paired up the other club Sempai, who suggested we run a little Shisochin Clinic for ourselves, which is exactly what we did. Looking at different focus points, problem areas, and individual mannerisms, we ran thru Kata several times, with varying levels of intent - we managed to iron out a few issues, and even crispen up few movements that we didn't even realise were lacking.

We then stepped away from Shisochin, and back to Gekisai Di Ichi, to see if we could apply any if what we'd learnt to another Kata - the results were fairly pleasing.

As a massive change of pace, the final 20 minutes of the session were spent on Pad Drills, working Multiple Targets - 1 striker, 4 pad holders - looking at how even the slightest stance change can add power, create opportunities, or improve angles.

Both Instructors are away this Thursday, so it will be down to myself and the other Sempai to run the session, which will predominantly be spent on Kicking Drills.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  4. Travess

Tuesday (06/11/18) - Rest Day

I had the best sleep that I've had in a while today, which is to say, a lot of it, so I took the win, and took it easy for the evening.

Wednesday (07/11/18)

I honestly thought that I'd lost my window of opportunity to get any training done today, when I slept through my alarm (by over an hour) being woken by end-to-end phone calls from both my daughters schools, wondering why the hell I wasn't there to pick them up... :oops:

...but, instead of getting a slap on the wrist from Mrs Travess (as I was expecting) she sensed how much I was beating myself up over it, took pity on me, and granted me a training reprieve (she was meant to be heading out for a walk)

I got myself warmed up with 5 minutes of Moderate Cardio Drills and loosened up with 5 minutes of Stretching and Mobility Exercises, before heading out to pound the pavement.

Distance: 7.3km
    Terrain: Road / Path
    Time: 42m 03s
    Pace: 5m 47s per/km

The main goal of my run today, was to start out at a slow pace, and to gradually increase that by an average of 5-10 seconds, with each passing Kilometre.

Km 1: 6m 11s per/km
    Km 2: 6m 06s per/km
    Km 3: 5m 59s per/km
    Km 4: 5m 45s per/km
    Km 5: 5m 39s per/km
    Km 6: 5m 39s per/km
    Km 7: 5m 20s per/km
    7 - 7.3: 1m 24s (4m 40s per/km)

I then finished up with another 5 minutes of Stretching Drills, and a single run thru of Tensho Kata to cool down.

Duration: 60 minutes
    Starting HR: 84 bpm
    Max HR: 174 bpm
    Average HR: 147 bpm
    Calories: 562 used

A perfect way to clear my head, and to get some phys. in. :D

Travess

axelb likes this.
  5. Travess

Thursday (08/11/18)

As I will be running the adults class tonight (read: exerting the troops, not myself) I figured that I'd get a quick pre-breakfast Strength Session in:

32 minutes of EMOM, alternating each minute between 10 x Push Ups, 12 x Bicep Curls, 15 x Leg Raises and 18 x Squats, for the 1st 7 sets/28 minutes, then AMRAP* (24 x Push Ups, 35 x Bicep Curls, 38 x Leg Raises and 45 x Squats) for the final set/4 minutes.

Note: 24 was my limit on the push ups, but I hit the 1 min limit on the other 3 exercises.

Is all I can say is, following my run yesterday, and my 170+ squats today, that I'm glad that I won't be doing that much kicking tonight.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  6. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I don't envy the leg DOMS you'll be enduring from that!!

Travess likes this.
  7. Travess

Which was just the excuse I needed to give myself a couple of rest days.

Friday (09/11/18) / Saturday (10/11/18) - Rest Days

Barring 10+ minutes of stretching on the Friday, and shopping/rearranging both my daughter's bedrooms/cooking a roast on the Saturday, I'll be doing as little as possible, other than enjoying some family time.

Sunday (11/11/18)

I found myself with a rare empty household today, so (after assembling my youngest's new bed) I got my day off to a cracking start, with the next installment of my Insanity Program.

Unfortunately for my recovering legs, the next workout in the programme (I appear to be resolute about doing them in order at least) was Plyometric Cardio Circuits: As with the previous workouts, there is a set 10+ minute Moderate/High Cardio Warm-up, followed by 7+ minutes of Stretching, before the main routine.

The main workout was comprised of just over 20 minutes of High Intensity Cardio Drills, varying from 2 to 5 minutes in length, with each being made up of 4-6 Exercises. (30s rest between each 2 to 5 minute drill)

The workout finished up with a short 3 minute Cool Down of Stretching and Breathing Exercises, which I also added a Tensho Kata to.

Duration: 43 mins
    Starting HR: 76 bpm
    Max HR: 181 bpm
    Average HR: 159 bpm
    Calories: 489 used

Note: This was one hell of a bloody struggle today, and I must have taken liberties with my rest periods by at least an additional 45-60 seconds throughout the whole workout.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  8. Travess

Monday (12/11/18)

AM:
    I discovered that the loose weights from my dumbell set, actually fit over the the bar for my barebell set, so I now have the (non) astronomical lifting potential of upto 60kg/132lbs - This, as coincidence would have it, also appears to be my 1 Rep Max Weight on the Bench Press' - So, to improve on those figures, I decided to spend some time out in the garage today, to give myself a baseline, and play with a few percentages.

I started with 5-10 minutes of Mobility Drills, Stretching and Breathing Exercises, before getting the session underway.

Flat Bench:
    7 x 30kg / 5 x 36kg / 3 x 42kg / 5 x 48kg

Standing (bent) Row:
    10 x 30kg / 8 x 36kg / 5 x 42kg / 5 x 48kg

Note(s): The weights used were 50, 60, 70 + 80% of my 1 rep max, on the above exercises.
    The rep count on the the 1st 3 sets of the Flat bench were a tab low - I increased these for the standing row, and had intended to do the same for the Incline Bench, but I ran out of time (promised I'd be in by 12.15 for lunch )

Deadlift:
    3 x 5 x 60kg

Bicep Curls:
    10 x 15kg / 8 x 18.5kg / 12 x 21kg (6,6)

PM:
    Karate @ 90 minutes - The session started with customary Kata based warm-up, sticking to just Ichi, Ni, Saifa and Seyunchin.

We then rolled straight in to some Restricted Sparring Drills, with commited techniques, but limited speed. This lasted for 4 rounds, before we moved on to the bulk of the session, which was spent on Kubotan Revision, running through a range of Joint Manipulation, Pressure Point, Limb Control and Tearing Techniques. Firstly on a compliant/static partner, then as part of a Resticted Kubotan based Grappling Drill - From a standing clinch, kneeling clinch, on the ground, and in multiples - which lasted 9 rounds all told.

Great session, a lot of fun, but definitely more of a cognitive lesson, than a physical one.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  9. Travess

Tuesday (13/11/18)

Just a simple, no frills, Road Run today

Warm-Up:
    6 minutes of Moderate Cardio
    (30s rest)
    6 minutes of Stretching

(4 mins Rest - Whilst I changed into my running gear)

Road Run:
    Duration: 43m 13s
    Distance: 7.94km
    Average Pace: 5m27s per/km
    Fastest Pace: 5m 01s per/km
    Slowest Pace: 5m36s per/km

Cool Down:
    5 mins of Stretching
    Tensho Kata

Duration: 1h 06m
    Starting HR: 79 bpm
    Max HR: 186 bpm
    Average HR: 158 bpm
    Calories: 705 used

Travess

axelb likes this.
  10. Travess

Wednesday (14/11/18)

I was originally meant to give myself another Cardio thrashing today, but after waking up all congested, with a scratchy throat, and then spending most of the morning dozing on and off on the sofa, I replanned things.

I ended up settling on an 8 Exercise, (odds and evens) Bodyweight (TRX) Deck of Cards Workout, with plenty of breaks between sets.

Warm-Up:
    2-3 minutes Range of Motion/Mobility Drills

Deck of Cards:
    Hearts - Arms
    (evens: Bicep Curls / odds: Tricep Curls)

Clubs - Shoulders/Back
    (evens: Low Row / odds: 'Y' Flyes)

Diamonds - Chest
    (evens: Press / odds: Push Ups)

Spades: Abs/Core (non-TRX)
    (evens: Leg Raises / odds: Mason Twist)

Cool Down:
    2-3 minutes of Stretching

And that'll have to do me for today!

Travess

axelb likes this.
  11. Travess

Thursday (15/11/18) to Monday (19/11/18) Inclusive - All Rest/Recovery Days

So, the congestion and scratchy throat that I was experiencing on Wednesday, turned out to be only the tip of the iceberg (joint ache, irritating cough, fatigue, a tight chest/difficulty breathing, and dizzy spells apparently being the rest of the iceberg...) so, under protest, I was resigned taking a few days off from training.

Edit #1 - My body may have only been (mildly) broken, but my mood was so much worse, so as a bit of a 'pick me up' I allowed myself a few sets of Bicep Curls. (Just 12kg, for 10 sets of 10, alternating between Hammergrip and Supinated Grip between sets) on the Sunday afternoon.

Edit #2 - I went along to Karate last night (Monday) with the intentions of just watching, and catching up on some of the kids class admin, but whilst I was there, I was asked if I felt well enough to teach some junior grade stuff (I did) Nothing intensive, just Gekisai Di Ichi revision, an introduction to Gekisai Di Ni, and a lot of discussion about Bunkai.

Edit #3 - I managed to make an initial draft of my 'Training Advent Calendar', during my 5 day training hiatus - which this year will consist of 24 x 24 minute sessions, alternating each day between Strength and Cardio Work, making use of either Tabata, EMOM, Round Work, or just a 24 minute solid block - Here is hoping that I am more resolute with it this year, than I was the last one!

Feeling closer to human again now, so I am hoping to feel well enough to do a short Bodyweight Circuit, when I wake later this afternoon. (But we shall just have to wait and see...)

Travess

axelb likes this.
  12. Travess

Tuesday (20/11/18)

I didn't really feel up to my planned bodyweight circuit in the end, but, not wanting to excuse myself from any/all exercise, I still banged out 70 x Incline Push Ups (14 x 5 reps) - Starting with 5 regular push ups at the foot of my stairs, then moving up a step for each set of 5, until I reached the top. (I had hoped to get this done in a minute, or less, but it took my 73 seconds in the end!)

Not wanting to waste the journey back down, I followed the same format, doing 5 x Tricep Dips per step, until I reached the bottom (did 2 sets on the penultimate step, to compensate for not being able to do one on the flat of the floor in my hallway)

Just another something of nothing day again today - I might even be kidding myself though, by not classifying it as a rest day

Travess

axelb likes this.
  13. axelb

I hope that illness clears up whatever it is. :(

That didn't sound like a rest day to me!

14. Travess

Cheers Alex - To be honest, I reckon that if it wasn't for the additional 'festivities' that asthma brings to the party, the only lingering symptom of my 'Man Flu' would be a very runny nose.
    I guess - I know I'm probably just being hard on myself, for needing to take some time out of training, (all be it essential time out) but I'm really wary of slipping into bad (lazy) habits.

Wednesday (21/11/18)

Decided that I'd start pushing the boat out a little bit again today, with an extremely light 9 Station Timed Circuit - 30s per station, with as much rest between each station/circuit as I deem necessary at that point.

Warm-up:
    Light Mobility Drills

Circuit:
    Station 1 - Plank
    Station 2 - Jog-on-the-spot
    Station 3 - Pistol Squats (15s / 15s)
    Station 4 - Left SidePlank
    Station 5 - Shadow Boxing
    Station 6 - Bicep Curls
    Station 7 - Right Side Plank
    Station 8 - Suicide Drills
    Station 9 - Butt Bridges

(Just 4 circuits in total)

Cool Down:
    Breathing and Stretching Drills

I did not set a timer (beyond that used at each station) but I think the whole workout lasted about 30/35 minutes, beginning to end, and not too surprisingly, my biggest hurdle ended up being enthusiasm and motivation - Easily had itvin me to do another lap, but managed to find something more 'pressing' to do...

Travess

axelb likes this.
  15. Travess

Wednesday (21/11/18) & Thursday (22/11/18) - Both Rest/Recovery Days

My cough/congestion/joint ache/breathing issues had flaired up quite badly again unfortunately - I did help out with the Kids class on the Thursday, but over 50% of that was spent wrapping up some admin from the previous grading, that still needed doing. I also stuck around to watch the adults class that followed, which, as it included a fair amount of body conditioning and pad drills, I am glad that I did not take part in...

Friday (23/11/18)

I am meant to be attending a private Iain Abernethy seminar tomorrow, and whilst I have been given the go ahead to just watch, I'd really rather try to take part, and just see how I get on -

So, with that in mind, I decided to do some Light to Moderate Kata, (just plenty of Sanchin and Tensho really) Shadow Boxing and Stretching Drills over the course of the day (nothing too consentrated at any one single point in time) so that I could a) Blow off a few cobwebs, and b) To be able to give myself an idea of what level I should be able to maintain tomorrow, in the event that I am still feeling rough...

...I found, as long as I wasn't puting too much effort in, that I managed pretty well, bespite still struggling for breath on occasion.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  16. axelb

:( that sucks, coinciding wth a private seminar!
    When my chest is like that I use steam and naps to get me through such activities.
    I hope it clears up by tomorrow

17. Travess

Been getting plenty of steam - I've been favouring hanging my head over a big bowl of boiling water, with a couple of fingertips of Tiger Balm dissolving away inside, for as long as my eyes can handle been under the towel.

The naps have been fewer and farther between, as I have my 3-year-old home with me, Mrs Travess will be home for the next few days now, so I am hoping that this ratio will improve now.
    Not nearly enough, unfortunately, which made taking part much more of an uphill struggle than I would have liked, but at least it did not impact on my enjoyment.

Saturday (24/11/18)

Iain Abernethy's 'Lost Goju Kata' seminar:

'Lost' is a bit of an oversimplification though, as the kata itself, Niseishi, (or Nijūshiho) is a an advanced kata, found in many Shotokan, Wado Ryu and Shi-to Ryu syllabi. A more accurate/in-depth description would be that Chojun Miyagi, having learned the kata from Kanryo Higaonna (alongside the father of Shi-to Ryu, Kenwa Mabuni) decided, for whatever reason, to drop the kata as part of his Goju Ryu curriculum.

The seminar itself ran a very simple (and efficient) format - As a class, we copied along, as Iain ran thru a couple of movements of the kata, before breaking down into pairs, to drill that particular sequence (one practicing, one observing)
    Next up, Iain showed us a piece of Bunkai for that particular set of moves, which we again drilled in pairs. We followed this pattern 2 or 3 times, working each sequence, and the corresponding piece of Bunkai, in isolation, before piecing them all together.
    The resulting 'product' was a fairly clear understanding of/ability to perform the kata in its entirety, as well an accompanying Bunkai Flow Drill, that ran thru from the opening move until the kata's close.

I broke a sweat, spilled some blood, got a few knocks, learned an entirely new (to me) kata, and thouroughly enjoyed myself. (Due to an existing head cold, I almost had to excuse myself before the end of the seminar, but it turned out that I only had 30 minutes left, so I muddled thru.)

It is my understanding that my Instructor intends to (re)introduce this kata in the to Goju Kata stable (at least as for as our club is concerned) and look forward to the opportunity to be able to dissect it further.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  18. Travess

Sunday (25/11/18)

I woke up feeling a whole hell of a lot better this morning, which is to say, for the 1st time in over a week, that I could actually breath.

Still, not wanting to push my luck, I kept things nice and light with another Circuit session, made up of 6 stations, which I did 6 circuits of in total. (Against my better judgement, I forewent both the warm-up and the cool down)

Circuit:
    Station 1 - 10 x Bicep Curls (TRX)
    Station 2 - 10 x Tricep Curls (TRX)
    Station 3 - 10 x Squats
    Station 4 - Kata*
    Station 5 - 10 x Push Ups
    Station 6 - 10 x Flutter Kicks

(Note: *I rotated thru 2 x Niseishi, 2 x Sanchin and 2 x Saifa for kata stations)

I felt pretty good at the end of the session, more fatigued than I would usually have been, but still pretty good.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  19. axelb

that steam with vicks or tiger balm is a favorite of mine also :) yes I know what thats like trying to get enough sleep with young children in the mix :D

It's good to read that you still benefited from the seminar even with that cold.

Travess likes this.
  20. Travess

Even when in good health, I've been on my fair share of non-beneficial seminars, but I dare say Iain's have never been in danger of falling in to that category.

Monday (26/11/18)

AM:
    20 minute Plank Drill - Broken down into 3* x 10 seconds Plank (with 10 seconds rest between each) then 3 x 20 seconds Plank (with 20 seconds rest between each) then continuously increasing in 10 second increments, up to and including a 3 x 1 minute Plank (with 1 minute rest between each) to finish up.

(Note: *Right, front and left planks)

PM:
    Karate @ 90 minutes - I didn't really feel that up for training tonight, but it would have been frowned apon for me to attend an all day seminar on the Saturday, only to sack off my regular training on the Monday.

The session started with a 10 minute Cardio based Warm-up, to get the blood pumping. The next 20 minutes (or so) was then broken down into (approximately) 4 equal parts - 5 minutes of Stretching / 5 minutes Mae Geri Kihon followed by 5 minutes of Stretching / 5 minutes of Yoko Geri Kihon.

The remaining 60 minutes was then spent on Pad Work, specifically drilling variations on the above 2 techniques - Front leg, Back Leg, Moving Targets (pad holder closing the distance) Varying Objectives (creating distance, stopping them in their tracks, destroying their structure) and then finally, Multiples.

This lesson will continue on Thursday, where we will move on to Mawashi Geri and Ushiro Geri, following the same structure as above, but which will this time hopefully leave some time for some Kicking isolated Sparring.

Tuesday (27/11/18) - Rest Day

Despite today being a rest day, I decided to follow yesterday morning's theme, and isolate a single exercise/muscle group - 100 x Push Ups - Which was broken down into 3 x Super Sets (12, 10, 8) of Military Push Ups, Regular Push Ups and Incline Push Ups, then with one final single set of 10 x Decline Military Push Ups...

...Tomorrow will probably be legs!

Travess

axelb likes this.