A short video, comments or advice welcomed

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Saved_in_Blood, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Man, it's such a shame you couldn't make the MAPMeet, we would have had a blast on the pads! I was teaching exactly this, talking with Simon about the same thing too!

The leg delivers the kick; the pivot and hips create the power. That's a slight oversimplification, but a good starting point.

Mitch

2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I think I've mentioned this before, but two of my (now former) school's MT instructors were Brazilian women who competed professionally in MMAs - they used the phrase "hit like a girl" when they were describing someone who punched ( or kicked ) especially violently, lol.

Maybe the phrase will have the opposite implication in years to come as it does now - if women's involvement in professional combat sports continues as it has - who knows?

3. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

No kidding, I'd be honored if someone said you throw like a girl after watching Ronda Rousey.

4. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

Simple physics. Yes a heavier muscle can give you extra power.

Force = Mass x Acceleration

But at what cost, correct technique maximises the acceleration part of the equation, if you increase the mass to increase the force, you will just end up fighting at a higher weight, whereas, increase acceleration with correct hip and body rotation, and you are able to deliver more force from the same mass.

5. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

lol, I am assuming that the one doing the kicking already has good technique, I'm just saying that with a little more added weight, it could carry that little bit of extra pop is all.

6. Saved_in_Blood

It's a PC thing... women shouldn't feel degraded by it IMO. How many times do you hear women say "yep, that's just a man to do this or that"? I've heard it many times and it doesn't bother me. There is no need for there to be an issue with women in sports, but the simple fact is they are many times physically weaker than a man of equal size, there again is nothing wrong with that either because women have other areas where they have advantages over men.

My point is simply that this isn't a thread that I wish to start a discussion on what is proper to say and what isn't.

7. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Sigh* And THAT is the way one group thinks they get to dismiss what people in another group are saying. "Oh, it's just a PC thing, I don't have to pay attention to it." A little awareness and sensitivity to how you are coming across isn't a bad thing. And it shouldn't be such a big deal. And you don't get to tell another group how to feel when when talked about in such a way. And let's not pretend your original story was with the intention of what pseudo or belltoller said. kicking like a girl was clearly meant in the original antedote to mean kicking weakly.

And you brought it up in the first place with your story of what your instructor said. So you don't get to shut down the conversation when you don't like the way it turns.:rolleyes: You get to tell your story. No one said you couldn't. But I get to respond with my opinion of it.

It seemed like it had run its course and had returned to the orginal topic. I certainly wasn't going to say more on it. Then you brought it up AGAIN here, so again, others get to respond to it.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Yes and no.. (obviously you need all muscles in the body) but if you're talking about extra "pop" via muscular strength. Then do stuff like various jumps/box jumps/squats/intermittent sprints. Which works thighs primarily, and the surrounding muscles (calves, buttocks, lower back etc).

Its the "push" off the ground that gets you going , but ultimately the calf (since thats what you seem to be concentrating on) does nothing as soon as it leaves the ground.

Kinda like swinging a sledge hammer. The hammer head is not whats driving it to the target, its the swing itself. And where is the swing coming from?
    The hips, which is as far away as the hammer head could be (unless you're doing it wrong, then good luck!)

9. belltoller

'Fraid it was me that resurrected that Frankenstein, Aaradia. I'm particularly bad about blundering into threads and doing that.

SIB just responded to something I brought up.

But we're all friends here, then? My bad.

[​IMG]

10. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I am genuinely gutted I couldn't make it. I hope I can make the next one. Shame it's only done on an annual basis.

More than welcome to pop down to the gym I train at and have a mess about on pads though.

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Sorry but that is mathmatically incorrect, in comparison of muscle weight kg for kg an untrained female is estimated (from memory /bro science) around 60% -80% as strong.

12. Saved_in_Blood

ok, whatever you say. I started this thread on what I am doing with my own training and asked for advice on it. What my trainer said or what I said should really have nothing to do with the conversation and if people are sensitive about it, that's fine, but then just stay out of the thread. You can label me a sexist or whatever you'd like... that's fine.

13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Nice, first we get you to jack in hapkido for sport arts, next we'll make you a half decent human, and eventually we might even make you a feminist atheist.

Its just one step at a time ;)

14. Saved_in_Blood

nope, I will always beat on women, children and the elderly.. and always love God too.

15. Saved_in_Blood

Also, I have to say that I would still do the CHKD if I had the extra money and time though. I did enjoy the learning and the atmosphere. It would also be A LOT more fun to spar with the same guy as before lol.

16. belltoller

I really thought you'd look like

[​IMG]

17. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

This has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. Fancy taking it to PM's?

18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I agree.

I'll admit I've just opened the thread and haven't read all of the posts, but I would ask that you take this to PM, or better still create a new thread for discussion.

19. Saved_in_Blood

ok, sorry

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Wind it in, folks. Now. I'll be addressing individual posts shortly.