A really cool Tae Kwon Do video with a great knock-out

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Slavist, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Slavist

Slavist New Member

I saw this video at another forum, and I am sorry I might be cross-posting. I went to the original site, but I don't speak Korean, so I couldn't read it. I think that this is Tae Kwon Do at its best. True, they don't have their guard up as much (which is strange, considering they punch to the head) but they are all great fighters - fast, powerful, skilfull and fun to watch.

The first K.O. is just brutal.

Finally, you got to love the North Korean cheering on. By the way, what country is KTJ?

Link: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/printthread.php?t=222696

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  2. TheDaveman

TheDaveman New Member

haha you were right that first KO is awesome! the other fight was pretty good too, but i rooting for the guy with the white gloves. they got some pretty cool kicking combos.

3. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Some incredible kicking which I can only admire. But it did seem like none of them had any idea what to do with their arms.

4. WhereMyRiceGo

WhereMyRiceGo Banned Banned

That is so sweet! really nice kicks! Wow.

5. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

The first fight of the vid was posted here a short while back. The top ITF competitors really possess some devastating stuff.

Oh believe me, they do. It's all about the distance, and appropriateness of technique. Why punch outside of your punching range? Punches, as in all martial arts occurs in close, when you're four or five feet from your opponent, punching is simply in appropriate. You'll see when they do get in close that their punches are hella fast. Of course, you've gotta get past the kicks jamming your way first :D

I could have sworn I saw one of the guys attempt a headbutt in that second fight...

6. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

oh yeah, the exceptional punching ability was definitely shown when they threw their hands. that stumbling, leaping attempt at a jab would have knocked that guy out im sure if he hadnt almost fallen over in the process of launching it from the moon. And im sure that the one later on where he is on one leg, going backwards, and wildly throws a punch at the same time- man he was just muhammad ali in disguise, he knocked people out when walking backwards too!

seriously though cool clip, fast kicks.... but once again it shows people who cant protect their faces.

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It's semi contact sparring, not self defence.

They're different.

Why does the guy throw the punch whilst travelling backwards and on one leg? It's obviously not an attempt at a knockout, it's simply a defensive technique to catch the opponent if he happens to be coming in/ward him off.

Different sparring rules encourage different styles of sparring. None are about self defence, that's why it's called sparring.

Sorry, don't mean this to sound snotty, just that people need to understand what they're looking at. :)

Mitch

8. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

looked full contact to me and i fail to see why it being a tournament and not self defense is a reason why they throw crap punches. and this was in reply to onis post about how really, they do know what they are doing. i dont think they really did and going from the way they punched in that video they sure dont look like they do.

9. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

It's about the strategy of ITF competition, Ikken. They're not punching with the intent of pummeling their opponent in the ground, they're punching with for speed and accuracy. It's not like Muay Thai or Boxing where the punching strategy is pretty much WYSIWYG. Put them into competition under different rules, and then they'd probably be punching more the way people are used to seeing.

They may look like they're swinging wildly and recklessly in a video, but they're not. The punching of those guys is fast, and they do have power, even though the aim is to score points, not a knockout. Perhaps they're not the most powerful punches in the world, I'll admit that, but they're not thrown like that for the hell of it.

The point about punching on one leg to catch the opponent off guard is a valid point also.

Punching to knock someone out and punching to make a quick shot at an opening for a quick couple of points are two entirely different things.

ITF is still continous (not point-stop) point sparring, even if people do get knocked out and there's heavy contact. With regards to the competition rules, those competitors do know what they're doing when they punch.

10. TomB

TomB Train Hard, Fight Easy

lol that was too much ikken

obviously all the TKD guys are going to defend their art, but common guys punches could have been used WAY more effectively in those bouts when did you ever see them use their fists as a deterrent, if its anything like karate they are modified punches which are kind of frowned upon if you are throwing them all the time anyway, god help me if i ever threw a combination when i did karate

11. TomB

TomB Train Hard, Fight Easy

no thats not how i see it, speed and strategy are one of the main things i train my punches for, thats why i am so good at countering (not to toot my own horn) swinging wildly wont really get you anywhere unless your looking to get knocked out or brawl

12. Mitch

It's not. It's semi-contact continuous sparring. But tournaments can get a little "lively" :)

Because they can be done quicker and critically with less energy expended. It's so they can win.

They do, they're working to maximum effect under their competition rules.

Take them on under their rules and see how far you get. :)

Again: Sparring is a game of tick with hands and feet. It is not self-defence.

Mitch

13. hux

hux ya, whatever.

not all of us. The more clips I see on the web the more I am beginning to realize that our TKD school might really be a kickboxing school. Our sparring looks a lot like that, but with hands UP and we punch like boxers. Jab, cross, hook, uppercut. Our kicks look the same. We wear headgear.

:eek:

14. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

you're not allowed hooks and uppercuts in comps.

15. Leo_E_49

Leo_E_49 Valued Member

Haha, nice 360 round house that one! I've seen that happen a few times. He's pretty fast all right.

Yes, I noticed that also. Bit of a shame. :( Otherwise a good match.

16. hux

hux ya, whatever.

we are, just not to the face. Hooks(to the liver, etc) and uppercuts(floating rib) are allowed to the body all day long.

17. Mitch

TAGB thread hijack:

You might want to check that Cavallin. Mr Donnelly says that punches do not have to be straight to score in competition (even if many umpires/refs seem to be under a quite different impression!).

Hooks/Uppercuts may not score as often, primarily because they aren't as visible to all judges, but theoretically they should. This was discussed at the last Umpires II course earlier this summer.

Cheers,
    Mitch

We now return you to your general discussion thread. :)

18. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

really?? it's another of those annoying "grey" areas in the TAGB umpires course :(

19. hux

hux ya, whatever.

forgive my ignorance, please...I keep seeing TAGB referenced but have no idea what it is?

20. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

TAGB stands for Tae Kwon Do Association of Great Britain. It practices ITF style tae kwon do (with a few slight adjustments) but is not affiliated with the ITF, instead it is a member of TKDI (Tae Kwon Do International) which promotes tae kwon do without complicating stuff with politics. Web site is here: www.tagb.biz