A quick question

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Andy Cap, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Which side do your black belts where their stripes? For example a 2nd dan has two stripes on their belt. Do they where the stripes on the right or the left?

2. calleo14

calleo14 Banned Banned

The right

I would say the right is what our instructor wants us to, because it has somethhing to do with the sordmanship hand being the right hand :)

3. Gizmo

Gizmo Valued Member

We don't use stripes for black belts at all... all Dan grades wear black belts, some have only their names or Taekwondo embroidered.

Gizmo

4. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

When the belt is tied, the stripes (or Roman numerals in the case of ITF), should be on the right side.

5. Yudanja

Yudanja Euphoric

Actually the stripes should be on the left.. according to ITF. (Roman Numerals or stripes.. whichever you wear.) They always go on the left.

6. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Thats what I was led to believe also, black belt or not we must wear our tags on our left.

7. Yang Dae-han

Yang Dae-han Realising the 'edit'

I love the fact that none of my belts have any stripes to worry about...though, my clan name and association do go on the left....not sure if this is for KTA, or just what 'some' of us do....

Cheers,

DH

Edit: I forgot...I have a gold buckle on the tip....shoot.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  8. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

Hrm..weird, must tell my instructor that. Looks like I'm gonna need to pull out the unstitching gear and sewing machine.

9. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I didn't actually know there was an "Official" side to wear it on.

10. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Oh yes. They have thought of everything my friend. You just have to ask for the answer. :Alien:

11. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

yes, you are right.

i also wear it on the left side.

but what about coloured belts? do you use the same rule?

12. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

we have them on both sides!!!

13. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

We have them on both sides too!

14. MaxAdam

MaxAdam New Member

For TaeKwondo - ITF and WTF the stripes go on the left side.

15. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I'll have to ask our instructors. I've seen them on both.

16. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Our TKD belts have our name and stripes on one side and the "Presented by Master Gray" on the other side. We wear the stripes and name on our left side. As a color belt, when we wear tips, they go on your left side only.

In Korea, we didn't have stripes, but we wore the name side of the belt on the left and the affialtion side of the belt on the right.

This seems to vary from school to school....

17. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

It is funny to me because I started in Tang Soo Do. In TSD it has always been on the left. I moved and studied Tae Kwon Do for a few years and in that school the stripes were on the right. I opened a school in TSD and went back to the midnight blue with stripes on the left. A few years later while running my school I studied Tae Kwon Do as well to continue my training there - this instructor had no stripes - just our salutation and name. ei. Mr. Waters. In Tang Soo Do I received my 4th dan which is a midnight blue belt with a red stipe lengthwise. There is no left or right except that my name should be on the left to be right side up. A few years ago i went back to Tae Kwon Do and in this school the stripes are on the left. What is really funny about it is that the instructor's name is on the other end of the belt and is upside down if the stripes are on teh left, but if the stripes are on teh right my name and title ie. Mstr. Waters are upside down. So, he instructed us that the stripes are on the left.

Long story - I know :( Anywho, my wife and i got into it over this, and I told her I would poll the audience and see what they thought. :)

18. angry

angry Valued Member

The majority of schools I've visited or trained with either are on the left side or don't have a particular side. It is really down to what the head instructor wants.

No one will be shot if it is not correct as per someone's requirement.
    (at least I hope not! :D)