A question on the heavy bags?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by LeeGreg89, Oct 10, 2005.

1. LeeGreg89

LeeGreg89 Valued Member

I was interesting in buying a Muay thai Kicking Bag it says its dimensions is
    14"x 72"

would that be 72 long and 14 thick

the 14 thick part is impossible because 14 inch diameter is very small

please help anyone?

2. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

That's correct, it's a 14" diameter bag, 6ft long.

It's not a conventional Thai bag, thai bags are usually very wide. But there are a lot of 14x72 bags around, usually synthetic. instead of leather.

To be totally honest, if you're above 170 lbs they're a waste of time, they'll fold on you if you hit em too hard.

Better off with a decent wide 4ft bag.

3. LeeGreg89

LeeGreg89 Valued Member

What do you mean fold on you?

Arent Thai Bags Excellent though to practice low kicks and stuff.

4. Pyro

Pyro New Member

They must make them very poorly where you come from then. Mine is like hitting a 50kg bag of cement (powder) that you get at the local hardware store. If I put full power into a hit and follow through it shocks right up my arm and shoulder. It's a gem for shin training though :D

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  5. LeeGreg89

LeeGreg89 Valued Member

I found this one

Muay Thai Bag

it says its material is

•21oz. PVC coated vinyl outer shell

is that good material I want a heavy bag that will last me.

6. Pyro

Pyro New Member

Seems ok. I paid $225 for my bag. I don't know anything about that brand though since we don't see it much here in Australia (at least not where I am) sorry.

7. LeeGreg89

LeeGreg89 Valued Member

what type of material is it?

How should I hang a 125 pound bag would it be safe to hang on the ceiling

8. Pyro

Pyro New Member

Vinyl shell. Mine weighs something around that also, maybe a tad more. I hung it in my shed with chains from a cross beam (iron).

9. LeeGreg89

LeeGreg89 Valued Member

How would u suggest to hang mine I am scared it will break my ceiling.

10. Pyro

Pyro New Member

Hang it from a support beam. I am not sure what type of material you are trying to hang it too but there is no way I would hang my bag from the ceiling of my house, even through a cross beam. The constant pounding on a fairly light wooden beam would not be wise imo. If you can't find a decent steel cross beam maybe bolt a frame off the side of a wall outside for it to hang on.

11. LeeGreg89

LeeGreg89 Valued Member

I was planning to hang this in my basement my basement is finished so I dont have any cross beams visible how would I be able to find out if I do?

12. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

The one I have is made of Vinyl, with tightly compacted material on the inside. It works really well. Nice and tough enough.

Hanging it from a support/cross beam would be ideal.... but if you don't have one.... :s

Do you have an outdoor covered area that has a cross beam or two?

13. LeeGreg89

LeeGreg89 Valued Member

i dont really now if i have a cross beam because my basement cieling is covered so how would I find out if i do have one
    I must have one because its a basement right

No i dont have a outdoor covered area