a question about JKD can anyone help?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by TigerAnsTKDLove, Jan 3, 2004.

1. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

i heard this from someone no names mentioned but anyways is it true in order to do Jeet Kune Do you first have to have a black belt in 1 of any martial arts? is this true or is this some stuck up rumor? cuz im in tkd a green belt here im a long way from black belt but showed interest in JKD. i also expressed my interest in Hap Ki Do. and another question about JKD what age do u have to be? thank u!

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Never heard of a grade of any kind being required to start JKD.

Agewise, all I'd suggest, is that you're of an age to think for yourself!

3. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

Rumor. You can have it as your first art if you wanted to :D

4. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

thank u for all ur help!

5. Disciple

Disciple New Member

Jeet June Do is a philosophy above and foremost. It isn't a style nor form.

And in the true sense of what JKD is, what you were told is a stuck up rumor. Unless their particular club of people that practice JKD makes this a requirement, which is just silly IMO.

6. surgingshark

I couldn't agree with you more :)

God, I hope that comment doesn't start another endless discussion...

7. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

In hopes of stopping that thread before it happens, at any certified JKD school you'll be learning Jun Fan Kung Fu (which is the techniques that Bruce Lee assembled). Jun Fan and JKD are "functionally" interchangeable terms (your instructor will get into the details around them).

No you don't need prior experience to learn Jun Fan. In fact I know a number of people who started with Jun Fan/JKD as their first art.

- Matt

8. surgingshark

Thank you, Matt...

9. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

The philosophy the name "Jeet Kune Do" refer's to has been around long before Bruce Lee aswell...

(Some people may understand what I mean when i say this, others may not.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2004
  10. FullContactKid

FullContactKid New Member

This is definetly a rumor I practice Jeet kune Do and though I had previous martialarts experience no rank from another style was required to join the school and start to learn. i started at age 16 I dont know if there is an age requirement though there isnt at myschool we had a class of 5 yr olds at one time

11. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

It's supprising the ammount of people who do not realise what Jeet Kune Do is. Luckly as i first started training, i purchased this excellent book called Bruce Lee: The artist of Life which is full of his univisity notes, and packed with his personal writings on the philosophy of JKD & his writings on where he got the idea of JKD from (Plato & Descartes).

12. redi knight

redi knight New Member

haha, cool.
    the very last thing written in 'tao of jeet kune do'

"if people say jeet kune do is different from 'this' or 'that' ,then let the name of jeet kune do be wiped out, for that is what it is, just a name. please dont fuss over it"

no, if its authentic bruce lee jkd, you dont need any belts from other styles, though i dont see how it could hurt either..

13. Sun Hwang

Sun Hwang Train to eat,Eat to train

Yeah, Bruce prefered it if you didn't have any previous MA training, that way you don't have any set preferrences. Bruce Lee thought MA should be like:

"a finger pointing to the moon. Why fix your intense gaze on the finger and miss all the heavenly glory."

Afterall the usefulness of a finger is in pointing away from itself.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2004
  14. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

And without any previous training, the mind is open, has a desire to learn, and is like a sponge, willing to obsorb...

15. LordofTheSword

LordofTheSword New Member

Hey when i was learning jkd i was told to learn ballet(do i spell it correctly?)

1st. The requirement is only for me alone(i was so stiff and imbalance both feet)..jkd aint different for any MA ,it is likely the enhancement of different martial art style and philosophy combine produce the new art named jkd

karate,kung fu,tkd judo and many more were brought into jkd. Not that jkd is combination of those many art just some of those tech were being added or cut were they seem to fit. The rumor maybe true then but it is not that necessary ma are just the same in different way(im might not be correct but im pretty sure that im not wrong) if the instructor feel it is so ,who are we then to question the requirement?

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Lordofthesword,

Where did you train JKD? I'm local to you (assuming you're in Georgetown, DC) and am curious.

Stuart

17. LordofTheSword

LordofTheSword New Member

JKD private training at home. No you're not local to me since i dont live in the West. George Town , SEA.

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Ah, I gotcha. Being egocentric obviously. Mea culpa.

There are a couple of JKD teachers in this area. Thought you might be with one of them.