A noob question

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Infesticon #1, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I have recently started using my dumbells again. My question is should I do my exercise (just holding it in hand palm up pulling hand back to bicep and returning to a slightly bent straight arm) sitting down or standing up?

I'm also a little confused about whether I should do 5 sets of 5 or 3 sets of 12. Or even if I should up the weight even more and just do less reps.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Standing up or sitting down makes very little difference.

That said sitting down does allow you to rest your elbow on you leg and helps prevent swaying, or throwing the weight up.

If you are standing keep your elbows stationary, your back straight and be strict with the movement.

3. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Thanks Simon. I currently do them seated with my elbow on my thigh and wasn't sure if it was cheating.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Definitely not. Give that extra squeeze at the top of the motion.

You can add a little forearm work by twisting through the motion.

Weight palm down at the beginning, then twist into palm up.

5. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

For biceps, the more reps the better, since you are only training a single muscle group and I suppose you want to pump it up a bit.

Pick 3 different exersices of dumbell curls, like alternating dumbell curls, concentration curls and hummer curls and do 4 sets of 12 reps.
    That's what I did in my gym when I did a bodybuilding program.

But you'll have to increase the weight after some time.
    How are you gonna do that and what kind of dumbells do you have?
    Also, do you have a chin up bar? Chin ups is a great exersice that would work your biceps and your back.

6. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I will look those exercises up. I have the kind where you can take the end off and put whatever weight you want on.

7. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Standing up will be more challenging as both a core and bicep exercise, while sitting down will limit any hip motion which you might say is the whole point of an isolation exercise..... yet to get stronger you need to lift heavier, and one way to do that is progressive overload, more weight than you can do with strict form.

Contrary to popular opinion there are some positives in breaking strict form when you know what good form is and the goal is strength. Start with the heavier weight for upto 8 reps per set, then switch to a lighter weight with strict form for remaining sets upto 12 reps per set.