A NEWBIE in the ART (FMA), w/c style to CHOOSE?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by pinoy, Sep 10, 2004.

1. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

:confused: :confused:

ei guys, dunno if this is a right question to ask, but am going to ask it anyway :bang: .

am a newbie in the ART and I really want to learn, is it important to choose the styles (i.e. kalis Ilustrisimo, PTK, KDL, LESKALAI, etc), or as a newbie, that would not be important :cry: .

Also what are the ange range of those training in the art? I mean, like me am 32yro now, would my age hinder me to train and learn fast?

pls help :cry:

tnx

2. NeilX66

NeilX66 Valued Member

I don't think the choice of art is particularly critical if your a complete beginner, but you should be aware that some of the styles have a very different emphasis, for example in Sayoc Kali the use of the blade predominates, to the extent that it has become the trademark of the style, so you will need to do a bit of research in to what you actually want to do, also its going to depend on where you are and which instructors you have access to, but the FMA are excellent all round arts, covering stick, knife etc, empty hands and which ever style you pick you will be exposed to everything eventually.

I wouldn't worry about your age either, I'm 34 and have just passed my 2nd degree black belt, and there are people both older and younger in my club.

What part of the world are you in?

Neil

3. chenstyle44

chenstyle44 Valued Member

which style? hmmmm.

HI,
    I think you should find a school first.
    Some areas of the world dont have a wide variety of styles to choose from and some have various styles but no substance. Im hoping I have some substance, but I have my doubts.
    Anyhow, go partake of a free class or ask to view the class before making up your mind and shop around. If the group wont let you view or offer a trial lesson then... they might not have a lot to view.
    Good luck.
    gord walker :bang:

4. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Don't worry about your age, Grandmaster Canete is over 80 :) . 85, I think?

5. rick_nz

rick_nz Valued Member

I agree with the above especialy neils reply,
    Age dosnt matter especialy for eskrima/arnis training.
    Participate in a free lesson in all the styles you mentioned & then you can choose which style/system suits you .
    It also comes down to how the class is structured /presented by the instructer & fees & traveling distance

6. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

Find the best teacher you can find in a convenient location with students you can get along with. Forget the style. They're all good.

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

*Applause :D

8. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

hi neil, am from the Philippines :) . Actually, I just want to learn how to use a stick, knife plus enhance my (little) knowledge in empty hands fighting. You know, street fights here more often resort to weapon like sticks, bolo (bladed weapon) & knife.

9. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

thanks sir :eek: :eek:

10. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Where in the P.I.? Maybe we can tell you who's in your area.

11. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

hometown antipolo rizal, workplace makati :) , however, my sked is on shifting w/ 24x7 operation, 2 off's are given per week, assigned off is rotated every month :cry:

tnx :eek:

12. Roman_Rapido

Roman_Rapido New Member

Hmm, can I make a guess that you are working in a call center? Don't worry, I also used to work in a call center. My sked is similar to yours :) . How do I get to practice regularly? If my day off or my free time is on the day of my teacher's sked, I would go to his place place to train. If my shift is not in-sync with his training sked, he will give me some drills or techniques to work on in the next few weeks and I will practice it on my on when I have the time. That way I will have the skills for the next lesson. It pays that my teacher is very considerate and generous with his time to teach me and all of my classmates are good guys. The only thing he ask is to come on time. :)

13. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

hey thanks roman_rapido :) , actually am not in call center job, am in telecommunication also, we are just operating on 24x7 & shifting sked like the call centers minus the unusual sked like 2am-10am. we have 3 regular shifts 6-2pm, 2-10pm, & 10pm-6am, rotating per month. Anyway thanks for your thought :D