a newb question

Discussion in 'Judo' started by akybo, Mar 4, 2004.

1. akybo

akybo New Member

I want to know if in judo u can throw bigger guys than you.I mean if I have 70kg can I throw someone of 90kg?
    I am asking because what I see on tv I see judokas are divided in categories.

2. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

Yes you can throw bigger people than you, like in practice at your dojo but in a proper tournment etc. you will be divided into weight catogries.

A friend recently did a moroto seionage to a person much bigger than him, the Tori (attacker) weighed 11 stone (70kg-ish) and threw the uke (defender) weighing 16 stone (90-100+kg-ish).

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/moroteseoinage.htm

^^^
    Animation of a moroto seoinage

~@~
    Anyway isnt Judo about minimal effort and maxium efficenty, so your useing the other persons weight/strength against them? Lol, the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

3. Picksey

Picksey New Member

For the sake of competitions in most martial arts, competitors are almost always seperated in to categories according to gender, age, height, weight, grade...

In training sessions, however, I see no reason why you shouldn't find yourself working with anyone - bigger/smaller, more/less experienced, male/female... though I suppose this will depend on the club. I think this is important because you learn that what you do against one opponent will not necessarily work against another. To take the example of your throw, to throw someone slighter and less experienced than yourself you could probably get away with using a poor technique backed up with a bit of brute force. Against your 16stone instructor, however, you will have to learn technique. I used to throw my 16st karate instructor when I was just a wee schoolgirl :)

4. brown belt

brown belt New Member

yes it is possible only a few weeks ago a green belt of 13 yrs who was only 50kg threw a senior blue belt who was around 100kg+
    this goes to show how effective judo can be

5. hEmPY

hEmPY Banned Banned

Removed due to unsuitable comments for this forum

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2004
  6. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

slightly on the pervy side dont'cha think Hempy?

7. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

It also depends on the technique your doing to take down that person with power.

8. hEmPY

hEmPY Banned Banned

Removed due to unsuitable comments

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2004
  9. Scaramouch

Scaramouch Lost Soul

Depends how you personnally take your Judo training. Whether its purely for sport or more as a MA for self defense/cross-training with other MAs.

In a sport context, weight divisions are used to keep fights as fair as possible. You could imagine that in the case of 2 judoka with a big size/weight mismatch even if they had similar technical ability that the bigger, heavier one would most likely score more points.

In a MA context (and IMO closer to Kano's intention when he developed Judo) the essence of Judo is to allow smaller Judoka to throw/control much larger opponents. Kano himself was a small chap and some of the throws he developed and modified were expressly for use on larger, heavier opponents. Similarly in the BJJ world, Helio Gracie was a little chap who could defeat much larger opponents under vale tudo rules.

10. akybo

akybo New Member

Thanke you for your responses.
    Long time ago I spoke with a judoka and he sais he will let me lift him up on the air(grab with arms)and try to put him down.He said no metter how I will try this,when the fall comes,he will always be on top.Are there any techniques if there is no foot on the ground?

11. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

definitely, as long as you have the proper entry and technique