a little bit of sparring

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by KaliKuntaw, Jun 29, 2013.

1. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

A little light sparring.
    My first time sparring in a long while because of a car accident a year and a few months ago.

2. ned

ned Valued Member

Think you forgot the link! ;)

3. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Yeah, looks that way, lol.

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Congrats on getting back to it! I had a couple of long layoffs from injury issues. I had a couple of years where I couldn't CLF spar. My CLF is far behind my years because of it.

Funny thing is, absence made my heart grow fonder of sparring. I did it at first because, well, you have to to be a MAist. But my primary focus was to become a better person through MA training. Fighting was the tool to get there, but not my end goal.

When I got back to sparring, I now enjoy it immensely. Something about having such a key primary element of training taken away from me that made me appreciate it so much more than I did before.

I have a lot of catching up to do, but I am enjoying the process of that too.

5. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Yay! Glad you're getting back into it, OP. :) Being away from practice is awful. :(

6. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMT3BsqYi3s&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]YouTube[/ame]

Sorry, there it is.
    I am very aware of my stupid inclination to drop my hands.
    But ill make believe i do it to set up an ABD.....lol

7. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I know what you mean. I hated sparring because it is too much like sports, but now i want to get in and mix it up with the young bucks.

8. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

All that hopping around on your feet after a kick is going to get you knocked out by anyone half decent. Get out of that habit, even at this level.

There was no dropping of body weight for the body strikes.

Roundhouse kicks were just flicks, there was no real emphasis on actually landing a proper roundhouse strike, even for light sparring.

Also if you're going to throw front kicks get your knee up into your chest and push out more, as well as get the step off of your rear leg. Don't throw them out half baked it's just a waste of energy.

Also, taking into account this is the Kickboxing forum, an instep to the knee is an illegal strike as far as I am aware. So are knees to the body (knees aren't even legal in Kickboxing).

I suppose I should ask what style of kickboxing this is supposed to be, because the style you do may do some things different. It look like there's some Chinese arts thrown in there along the way.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  9. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

thanks for posting it!

The kick that the person in white does at 15, 21, and 38 seconds or so - is this one of those Wing Chun kicks? I don't know the proper name for it, sorry.

10. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

So what's your excuse for those terrible red shoes? :D

11. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

They look close to what my style (Choy Li fut) calls an instep lift. It is sort of a combination scoop/ lift with a push at the end. Most common target is the knee cap.

Of course, I might be reading my style into something totally unrelated and be completely wrong.

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm not sure what it's called in wing chun. In my FMA school, we called it "sipa." From the backyard game similar to hacky sack. (The kicking motion is similar to that used to get the hacky sack airborne.) The game is called "sipa" as well.

In English, I've heard it called "cross kick" and "hook kick," (though that one's confusing for obvious reason).

13. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Oblique kicks or i believe Coup de pie bas in Savate.

14. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Yes most of what went out at my friend was flicks and and jabs.
    Like i said in the title, light sparring.

15. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

By the way, no style really. Just my own way of Kickboxing.
    Thank you for you evaluation.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  16. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

My lovely red Title Boxing ensemble. :hat:

17. Guitar Nado

Thanks - I know I have heard it called an Oblique kick from somewhere. I've never actually been taught this kick, but I've tried to figure it on my own. Your post has inspired me to quiz some folks at my school about it.

18. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I use the arch of my foot or sole of my shoe to stop hit the shin.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTA7e0cEwAw&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Coup de pied bas - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DqJgrdzPHE&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Self Defense Technique - Paul Vunak Front Knee Kick - YouTube[/ame]

MOD Note: Please post an explanation with these videos. Thank you.

19. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

There is no explanation required.
    The person asked,"what was the kick?", i provided two different views of the same kick. In the post with the extra two videos the explanation is above the links.
    " I use the arch of my foot or sole of my shoe to stop hit the shin."

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  20. Guitar Nado

Thanks for posting - the Paul Vunak video pretty much explains it enough for me.