a lil bit of boxing sparring

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by hewho, Oct 25, 2013.

1. hewho

hewho Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPaGI9_D0Bw"]sparring - YouTube[/ame]

Points I've noticed:
    hands too low too often
    footwork too linear
    crossing feet when circling

any other advice? :) not too much hate please, I is sleepyz!

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Which one is you? Also, are you training at a legitimate gym or is this just some kind of get together rumble on the court between buddies?

There is a lot of room for improvement, would be easier to critique if we knew who you were and what your access to training coaches/facilities are.

Post Edited: The Mankini made me feel naughty.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Credit for sharing the video. Other than that ditto what Ero said. Which one's you, or were you after critique generally?

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'll be honest and say props to you for posting video of yourself training for everyone on here to see. That takes cojones and deserves respect.

I'm sure those with experience of boxing will chime in with all sorts of things, but I hope those that do, and perhaps those that already have, might keep that in mind when commenting on someone brave enough to post a video of their training on a public forum.

From my point of view I thought there was good stuff to build on there, but you guys could work at your distance and movement, plus keeping hands up, not lowering them to an attack.

Mitch

5. hewho

hewho Valued Member

sorry, I'm the shorter one (in video description ;)) I train at a legit, if small, gym in Bridgnorth, the other guy is looking st starting and has been bragging about how great he is XD (mankini where? o_O)

6. hewho

hewho Valued Member

oh and cheers for the advice so far :)

7. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Please bare with me as I'm posting from my iPhone.

Too flat footed: you need to get on you toes more. Skipping is good for practicing this as it will build strength in your calves. A lot of your striking is dependant on pushing off your back foot or pivoting. Being flat footed takes away a lot of your effectiveness. You kind of get on your toes at parts but then revert to flat footed when you need that rear foot up for striking.

Not jabbing enough or properly: you need to jab from the shoulder and use your advantage, range. At the moment you seem to claw at the jab. Would be best to get proper instruction on jabbing as this is one of your most important tools.

Not moving your body with your punches: for example when you attack low, rather than drop your body low and strike, you drop your arms to strike leaving your face wide open.

Lowering your hands to block body shots: this is a big no no. Leaves your head wide open and experienced boxers will bait you in for a big shot.

Lastly, relax more. You look a little rigid at times.

Edited to reflect correct practitioner. I hope you find the feedback useful. Thanks for posting.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  8. hewho

hewho Valued Member

cheers man, shall pass that on :)

9. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Like others say - good for you to post this.

Offhand I would say I see not much head movement. There aren't a lot of combos being thrown - just single punch then move back, maybe a 1-2 combo by the guy in blue sometimes. It also seems you pause and reset after every exchange - someone punches, the other moves or punches back and then you both stop. I guess it is natural to do that some, but it seems like you both do it a lot. There is some lowering of hands to try to block low punches- like at 2:08 - using both hands to block a low punch. Sure that punch doesn't hit you, but doing that really leaves you open to someone punching your head.

I'm sure others will have a lot more (and better) things to add. I know I have a lot of problems with my own sparring, and I'm just basing the stuff I'm telling you on stuff I have been told I'm doing wrong sometimes in the past!

10. Ero-Sennin

Alright cool.

In all honesty there are a ton of things that you can really improve on. The biggest is the foot work, because that's what boxing is all about. Punching is all about the legs!

You seem to have a grasp on basic movement, being you step in the direction with the foot that is in that direction (forward with lead food, back with rear food, etc.). It can take weeks to get people to grasp that, so that's a plus. You have to learn to be on your toes naturally, you're very flat footed. I would suggest getting in front of a mirror at the gym or home and just practice basic movement while focusing on keeping your weight on the ball of your feet. Once you have the grasp of that you'll naturally move into bouncing around and doing quicker movement. You have to be patient with it and make sure you're doing it right though; foot work is the most important aspect of boxing and it's not good if you develop bad habits.

The only other thing I'll suggest is when you're working on your foot work moving around and whatnot, practice keeping your elbows tucked to your side and your hands up and guarding your face. Your elbows and forearms should be touching your body, and the second knuckles of your hands should rest on your cheeks. Practice this like it's your new religion, or you'll end up getting knocked out like this guy does towards the end of the video: http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1074758220&postcount=93

I wouldn't worry about trying to get too much information on things to work on from the internet right now since you're starting out. It doesn't matter if you don't throw a single punch for a month while working on keeping your hands up while moving and moving correctly. You'll have spent your time much better than a lot of other people who think it's all about throwing your upper limbs around really fast. Really dig into your instructors experience to learn when you're at the gym. Get them to criticize you and watch you as much as you can.

11. hewho

hewho Valued Member

cool man :) genuinly considering taping my hands to my face for the week off I have! (that'll look good for job interviews!)

12. hewho

hewho Valued Member

13. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Hewho please see my edit. The advice is fairly similar but I picked out a couple of other points for you.

14. hewho

hewho Valued Member

UC: thanks again, really helpful :)

15. Ero-Sennin

I'm the guy getting knocked out by the way.

16. hewho

hewho Valued Member

wow you both make me look very slow! but that's why we train right? to get good at what we love! :D

17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Props for posting. It's really nice to see members posting videos, it really helps build the community spirit.

One thing I would have you do is keep those hands high. It sounds simple, but we all do it, even after years of training. Some of us instructors tell our students to keep their hands up and yet drop them occasionally ourselves.

If you have a mirror I suggest sticking a bit of tape on it about 6 inches long horizontally at chin height.
    Now when you punch you have something to aim for and you can also see when you drop your own hands below that level.

Do you remember those toys that have a hoop that you have to weave around a metal wire? The ones that buzz then the hoop touches the metal wire.

Now imagine your hands are the hoop and they have to pass along a line from your starting position to the target. If they drop just slightly on the way back they touch the metal and the buzzer sounds, so you bring them back on the same line they went out.

Out at 50 back at 100.

If you can do this seemingly simple thing you'll have your hands and arms back in position to protect your face and body. This will help with the flinching and turning away when the opponent punches.

I shot a video series on sparring recently and you may just find something that helps.
    The videos on conditioning and sparring drills would be a good place to start. Go light and slowly build confidence.

Note at 2.20m in the sparring drills video my training partner (in blue) keeps his hands high and brings them back on the same line he sends them out.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112598

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUtx8WEhHwY"]Conditioning and Body Shots - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbNMcSxX7M4"]Sparring Drills - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  18. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Hey Jack! You need to post here more often!

19. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I'm not a pro by any means but I love Boxing. :)

Here are a few things that I've noticed;

As others have said, relax (knees and shoulders). Try not to stand too upright, this will make you easier to hit. Put a little bit of bend in your knees.

Focus on your rhythm, this will make you less predictable when you throw your punches (skipping is ideal for this).

Bring your back hand/non punching hand up higher (near your cheek). Keep your chin behind your lead shoulder (slightly tucked).

When throwing a straight body shot, try to squat down, rather than throwing it from a standing position (try to keep at eye level with your straight punches).

Try to avoid switching from orthodox to southpaw and vice versa or crossing your legs.

Try not to lean over your front foot or back foot, you want to be focusing your weight in the center (between your legs), other wise you'll loose your balance and your punches will be weaker.

Keep both feet grounded when punching (your back foot should be up on the ball).

Try to focus more on the jab and the cross for now before moving onto hooks and uppercuts (try to keep it simple but consistent).

Work on blocking punches at this stage rather than bobbing and weaving (like hooks and uppercuts, they involve similar mechanics).

Here are some good sources to get you on the right track;

http://www.youtube.com/user/tripleVVV3

http://www.youtube.com/user/myboxingcoach

http://www.youtube.com/user/expertboxing

http://www.youtube.com/user/BoxingFitFactory

20. hewho

hewho Valued Member

cheers guys :) will check these links out after eating, I am sparring again in the next few days hopefully,so will post that as well :)