A less-than-ideal introduction

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Kagete, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I googled Pekiti Tirisia Europe and got a load of them so you might want to reconsider your self-righteousness

2. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

In Bacolod City or Houston, Texas, I'm fairly sure Grand Tuhon wouldn't be walking the streets without his favourite pistols. But when he's in, let's say, Norway, he's left them at home.

3. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

4. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Actually, I'm not being self-righteous. It's probably more a case of our different IP locations yielding different google results. I totally see your point, however I will maintain that the people I train with didn't discover the group by way of advertising.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Which was never my contention in the first place. But yeah, I think my colleagues have proven my point about imaging.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Which, again, has nothing to do with branding. No FMA teacher I know walks around with a kris either. (Or a stick, for that matter.) But they still show up in the branding with regularity.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

[​IMG]

Nothing to see here...move along...no knives at all...that's a big spoon...no other weapons either...that's clearly a Frank Spencer beret rather than anything military.

8. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

I've heard of a couple, but again, they live in the Philippines.

9. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Again, I googled "European FMA instructors" and "Pekiti-Tirsia Europe". Your wording may vary.

10. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

And I'm still saying that I highly doubt that had any bearing on how people find out about us.

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Google image search is a patchy thing at best.
    I do image searches all the time and all sorts of crazy stuff turns up.
    You are splitting hairs to try and make a point when CLEARLY fma is heavily promoted on knife fighting and PTK in particular has a military background and promotes itself as such.

12. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

No, it has a tribal background. And see my previous post.

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I can't tell whether you genuinely don't get this or you're deliberately being standoffish.

So, once again, this has nothing to do with YOU. It has everything to do with newbies' expectations of FMA as a whole based on the public branding we do ON THE WHOLE.

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

So Tim Waid in full tactical webbing and fatigues, or Tuhon in a military beret and uniform, those are tribal?

15. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Which part of "advertising has little to bearing on how people find the group in which I train" is it that I'm not managing to explain?

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

The point of the observation.

It doesn't matter how he found YOU. The question is how he arrived at his preconceived notions of FMA.

17. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Find me pictures of Conrado, Balbino, Theodorico, Francisco and Carino Tortal wearing that attire and I'll attest to the military origin of PTK.

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Kagete, you're not even attempting to understand the point being made. Or you are, in which case God help you. We're not talking about origins. That's been made clear enough that literally everyone else in this conversation gets it. We're talking about current branding.

19. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

*YOU* were the one who contested what I wrote about the origins of PTK. That is indeed a side track, but you also chose to head down that road. Berating me for clarifying that issue is not befitting of a mod IMO. My earlier responses to you should also make it clear that I know we're discussing contemporary branding.

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You're free to report me at your convenience. I'm pretty confident of my position here. And I'm clear that this isn't going anywhere worth going. So I'll leave it at that. I think what's been posted already speaks for itself.