A less-than-ideal introduction

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Kagete, Sep 3, 2013.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I haven't trained in a commercial school in more than 20 years. I'm unclear on your point.

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

for ?

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I think it's fore? I ducked anyway :)

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Seems like a whole lotta something over a whole lotta nothing.

If this was that exciting that you had to share it, I'd hate to see what a typical class is like.

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

There was this one time, in band camp ......

6. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

You were the one who brought up the need for selling points in FMA. We don't advertise, people search us out.

7. shootodog

shootodog restless native

The point being that it was bad manners but nothing to write home about. Unless the guro decided to teach him a lesson right there and then, at no extra charge.

Other than that, you can feel indignant but of the guro did not take offense maybe you should let it go too.

8. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

He's not a guro, he's actually a mandala maginoo. I decided to write about it because I could tell that he was going to be responsible for at least more than one headache in the future. Sometimes you just know that you're heading for trouble and there's nothing you can do about it. In times like those, it's sometimes preferable to vent.

9. shootodog

Mandala maginoo...pekiti tirsia. Which area?

10. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Europe.

11. shootodog

Under Uli Weidle! Wonderful! I hope to see him next time he's in town.

12. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Yup, me too. I was hoping to head to the four day dumpag camp in late October, but some other stuff got in the way. I'll probably be able to catch him again early next year.

13. shootodog

Dumpag! I think it was 99 or 00 when GT Gaje unleashed that on the brotherhood. Fun times. Painful times.

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, Kagete, but that has sweet sod all to do with the business/advertising practices of one single training group and everything to do with FMA as a whole. The question is whether it's unreasonable for a newb to come in with that approach. And if FMA in the US is often marketed in that way, regardless of whether your particular group markets itself that way (or at all), that's what any new person is going to absorb as the norm. So, if you're looking to point fingers, I think you're pointing them in the wrong direction. The way FMA is glamourized in books, magazines, etc. is placing the emphasis. These students are just following those leads.

15. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

*cough cough*

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Again, you're missing the point. If someone does an internet search on FMA, what comes up isn't being limited by geographic location. I only specified the US because that's where I am. I'm going to go on a limb and say that if I started perusing for European FMA teachers (particularly PTK), I'd find plenty of images of guys in tactical clothing, strapped with weaponry, and brandishing large knives. You dispute that?

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Oh come on now...FMA in Europe is also advertised as knife fighting, weapons and all that.
    Sayoc Kali is "All blade, all the time". That sort of thing.

*Not directed at you Stu!

18. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Good thing for me I don't do Sayoc and aren't part of any group that advertises at all, I suppose.

19. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

I tried picture-googling "European FMA instructors" as well as "Pekiti-Tirsia Europe", and given the results, I'm afraid that I do dispute that.

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Yeah because its not as if PTK relies heavily on aggressive and military imagery to sell itself globally or anything...... :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]