A good alternative to makiwara training

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Dirk Dagger, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Dirk Dagger

Dirk Dagger I Love Kelly Hu

Makiwara... PROS and CONS...

Yes, the problem. Should we train Makiwara or not? Is it safe?

I've read a lot of views and insights in this stuff. So here's my opinion... and perhaps a solution...

KNUCKLE PUSH UPS!

If done properly, knuckle push ups can be a good subsitute for makiwara training. It makes your knuckles tougher, and your wrist stronger to receive impact. But of course, it's not a good substitute for focusing targets etc. But to the health and safety conscious, it's knuckle push ups for you.

:)

2. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

or heavy bag ;)

3. Dirk Dagger

Well, a heavy bag can also help. but the floor is more rigid and makes your knuckles calous from the friction.

But you also have a good point.

4. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Don't really want caloused knuckles ;)

5. Dirk Dagger

Yeah. It's a turn off for the chicks. But it'll make your knuckles tougher and it'll sure make a good impression to the ladies when you knock the other guy down with just one gyakuzuki. hehehe
    :)

6. ketong71

ketong71 Valued Member

Hi,

Makiwara training is not suppose to create callouses or toughen the knuckles. Makiwara training is suppose to teach you focus and power. It is also suppose to help develop your punching muscles how to properly absorb impact. The reason why the makiwara is designed to be thin at the top but thick and the base is so that the board would absorb your punch and spring back give your arm feedback of your impact. If your arm was off-form (wrist down, shoulder up), you will feel it upon the spring-back.

If you are punching the makiwara for callouses your missing the point of the tool.

Train harder but train smarter.

Regards,

Ketong71

7. Dirk Dagger

Thanks, but I can't help noticing the calouses in my knuckles. :)
    I know what makiwara training is for. Of course, it is best to train your focus. But remember that we're talking about knuckle push ups as an alternative for the health and safety conscious. Thanks anyway.

8. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Hmm, see the thread titled, "Makiwara" :D

9. Dirk Dagger

Thanks Ronin! Oh Lordless Samurai!

:D

10. SilentFuryTSD

SilentFuryTSD New Member

Hey now,

This chick is TURNED ON by it! :p Just about any true martial chick will appreciate good conditioning & training! :)

11. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Heavy. Bag.
    Knuckle conditioning= pointless.

12. Adam

Adam New Member

Not really. Knuckle conditioning = matter of choice and deciding whether the risks and effort are worth the results.

13. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

which they aren't. IF you fight bareknuckle, regularly, there MAY be a case for it. If you're doing that, you need to look at your lifestyle.