A few questions on Heavy Bag, over training and weights.

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Fillythebish, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Fillythebish

Fillythebish Valued Member

Rather than making 3 threads I'll put all three questions here.

Question 1: Use heavy bag 4 days a week?

I have a heavy bag that weighs 45kg.

Is it ok to use it 4 days a week? I do anywhere from 4-10 3 minute rounds.

Is this gonna damage my joints? Should I look into getting a lighter bag to mix things up with?

I do boxing at my club twice a week and we use lighter bags mostly there. So I'm using the heavy bag 4 days a week and mixing it up at the club twice a week.

Question 2: Is this enough / too much?

I'm currently doing 6 days a week and the workouts last anywhere from 2-3 hours.

Is this ok or will I burn out at this rate?

Typical workout is..

15 minutes jump rope
    15 minutes light stretching and joint prep
    45 minutes bag work
    30 minutes circuit training
    30-60 mins cardio (bike and running)

And twice a week I do weights with bag work...

15 minutes jump rope
    15 minutes light stretching and joint prep
    1 hour weights
    30 mins bag work
    30-60 mins cardio (bike and running)

I do feel quite tired on sunday which is my rest day. I also work as a plasterer in the building trade which can be quite tiring in its self.

But, I appear to be doing ok and not too tired as to lose my performance. Just worried about over training as I know it can creep up on you.

Question 3: Weights at High reps or Low reps?

I read that doing high reps with low weight (25-35 reps) is better than high weight with low reps.

But I also heard that low reps (6-10 reps) builds more power.

So, would it be wise maybe, to do high reps one week and then do heavy low reps the next week?

Or is one pointless compared to the other?

With heavy reps, I do 6 sets each muscle and have 3 minutes rest between sets and with light weights I do the same but with just 1 minute rest between sets.

Thanks to anyone who read all of this and tried to answer at least one of them! :cool:

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

(1) Don't see any reason why you can't, though if you're already doing 2x a week at a gym you might want to stick with 2-3x outside of it tops.

(2) That's a pretty tough regimen, especially if you have a fairly physical job. If you're working out 6x a week I'd make one very light, or else just work out 5x a week and have two solid days off.

(3) If you're doing as much as you said already, there's no real reason to train for muscular endurance when all your other workouts are doing just that. Stick with heavier weights for multiple sets of low reps, that's my opinion at least.

3. Fillythebish

Fillythebish Valued Member

Thanks for the quick response.

I never thought of it like that, that makes sense.

4. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

Here is some advice from an 'old geezer'. That is a very aggressive work-out schedule IMHO. Unless you are training to fight professionally. The heavy bag is my best friend. The heavy bag never lied to me or cheated on me. The heavy bag never yelled at me. The heavy bag takes a lot of abuse but is always there for me. I do have arthritis though, especially in the wrists. Wrap up really good. Don't power lift.

Thanks,
    Tom

5. Seviko

Seviko Enlightened

You should do Heavy weights and train in strenght. That is nothing over 5 reps. 8-10 is what bodybuilders do but strenght you use even heavier weight and lower reps. Also if you are doing any cardio on the same day as ur weights that is more than 10minutes (warmup)...do iit at least 8 hours before or after and make sure you eat eat eat protein and carbs to replenish your body.

If you wish have more explosive power and use your strenght to its fullest i would recommend ploymetrics combined with your heavy weight workouts..Example Heavy squat, rest, Jump squat ploymetric, rest, Heavy squat :)

Make sure you do compound excercises..isolation wont do you much good for fighting.