A couple of questions.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Thephenom52, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Thephenom52

Thephenom52 Valued Member

Hi guys and girls, how u doing?

It's been a while since I've been on this site but now that I'm back I have 2 pressing questionx that have been itching in the back of my mind for quite some time. Here goes-

1) What, in your mind, makes a quality martial arts instructor/sensei/arjarn/...?

and...

2) At the moment, the class I attend, I feel is slgihtly overcrowded- where learning techniques comes second to fitness. Do you consider it worth going to? (Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that fitness is a big aspect of the training, especially for Muay Thai, I just obviously have more of a leaning towards learning techniques)

This is probably somthing that's been asked before, i just can't find the post.

Any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Thephenom52 :cool:

2. Kraen

Kraen Valued Member

1)Someone who strives to make you better than themselves.

2)You can always work on technique. Just because you're not learning NEW techniques doesn't mean you're not learning. Unless if you're jumping rope or something akin to that.

-Kraen

3. Stanislovas

Stanislovas Valued Member

1. Someone who wants to honestly wants you to be the best you can be, using what he knows to help you get there.

2. In my gym, we practice for an hour. First couple of minutes warming up, then the rest solely on technique. I really appreciate this, because I train on my time, and don't want to waste class time doing what I could do at home.

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

His ability to pass on his skill to his students

Are you in a proper gym or do you train in a leisure centre/village hall?

5. Ironized

Ironized Valued Member

Ive only had one instructor and im completely happy with him.

To me what makes a good instructor is a couple of things:

Understanding of the,its advantages and flaws.
    understanding of bio mechanics.
    Ability to teach verbally, by demonstration and by correction.
    pride in his students and his dojang.
    desire to teach 3 aspects, sparring, fundamental movements and self defence, while explaining the differences between them
    showing courtesy and respect
    Ability to tell when students are exhausted and in need of a break.
    Ability to correct students.
    Understanding of your limitations
    Desire to motivate you to push your self
    Punctuality

I could keep going.

This is a club that uses a town hall.

6. Thephenom52

Hiya, thanks for the response. I'm in a proper gym.

7. Moi

I've seen both and the clubs that pushed fitness were usually in a leisure centre.
    Fitness is the responsibility of the fighter here with an occasional beasting session at the end of a lesson. Lessons are for technique/learning, the fitness gained from them a by-product.

8. Thephenom52

Thanks. I'm of that opinion as well- which is why I am worried. I work on my fitness and techniques pretty much everyday, it would be lovely to just go down to a class and focus on technique. That's, what, I believe, they should be there for.

I just wanna end by saying a big thank you to every1 who's replied. You've all been a big help. I think I know where it is I need to go from here.
    I appreciate the enlightenment. :hat: :cool:

9. Moi

Does your club have a fighters session that you don't know about? Begineers at ours never see the sparring etc: until they're ready. Scares too many people off.

10. Thephenom52

It does have a fighters session but, it's only for people heading into competition.

11. Moi

That's were you need to be looking at then. Most people in many gyms have no intention of fighting so pushing the fitness side of it in a general lesson makes sense. Once you're fit enough the should hone your technique. Ask the instructor about the fighters session.

12. Thephenom52

Thanks a lot man. That sounds like good advice. I will definitely be looking into that! :cool::)