a cop in need of advise.

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by master35, Apr 1, 2004.

1. krys

krys Valued Member

Great! I am a Chinese martial arts stylist myself, even tried my hands at wing chun. Can you give me the name of those championships? Was it a high level tournament or a glorified toughman contest? I'd love to get references to help me in my debates against friends who do nothing but worship at the altar of Rickson Gracie, Kazushi Sakuraba, etc and put down the traditional arts. Unfortunately, the only references I get about wing chun vs muay thai has all of the wing chun fighters getting ko'd in the first round. And the only times I've seen it in mixed martial arts competition, Igor Zinoviev picked up Steve Faulkner, slammed him then choked him out in about 20 seconds and Dave Beneteau ground and pound another wing chun fighter to a tko win.

It was a national tournament, he went there four times :1993-94-95 and 2003 ( he was 39 years old in 2003) and won every time. I am not 100% sure of the name of the championship but think it is the british full contact championship, if you are really interested I can inquire....

(In 2003) it refers to this event:
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=146101&postcount=45

There is wing chun and wing chun.... I've visited 6 places with bad wc before i choose this one.... as with other arts there are good and bad instructors. WC became popular and there are too many teachers who shouldn't actually give instruction, this is also the case with fmas (at least in the west)...

I am convinced wing chun is a good complement for fmas....
    It seems on a superficial level that mastering arnis is easier than mastering wing chun or other kung fu systems but to aquire proper arnis skills is as difficult.... lot of dedication is needed. If you look at the escrima-arnis GMs they also relly on fine motor skills.

2. Plywood

Plywood New Member

Well, the Philippines has certain inherent comparative disadvantages vis-a-vis Thailand. It's an archepelego of islands with a north south axis, thus making infrastructure, communication and cultural congealment (see I did development studies too!) and subsequently economic development more difficult. It is in the typhoon belt, unlike tranquil Thailand. Indonesia? Yeah, that would be a good role model!

BTW, which championships did your wing chun sifu win again? What's his name?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2004
  3. krys

krys Valued Member

Sifu's name is Paul Smith, the championship victory is confirmed in the map link I provided in my last message. I'll have to ask him for the exact name.

4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

thailand and singapore interestingly has corruption factored in to "doing business" but they still make it work. the diff? a govrnment system that works. free health care. working infrastructure. gov't. subsidised/ assissted agri.

it's workable if we stop electing the a-holes to government.

5. Gryphon Hall

Gryphon Hall Feeling Scholler

Oh, if it were only that simple, sir! But I think that it is more deeply rooted, more connected with the way the average Pinoy sees the law as arbitrary. I mean, take cheating and stealing, for instance. Students will cheat and cheat, and when caught, come up with a boohoo story that, incidentally, is true. For instance, "Sir, my mother works hard to send me to school and my father is dead. If I do not cheat, I will fail the subject, and if I do, I will have to repeat it and we cannot afford it." What does one say to that? How does one deal with people who are so used to cheating to get, not what one wants, but what one needs.

Or those caught stealing, kidnapping or murdering. Their wives and mothers will truthfully testify that these conscienceless criminals are really good people, doing these only to feed their families, etc. How does one deal with that? How can one punish that? How the dang heck can one prevent that? How does one enforce the law when the law is unjustly presented as being unjust and abusive (kahit hindi naman).

In both cases, they all know that cheating, stealing, kidnapping, murdering, etc. is wrong, but, oh, please understand the circumstances and make an exception just once! Sheeeesh!

And I could go on.

Sorry po. Just venting frustration; sorry for the off-topic. It is becoming a bad habit, posting off-topics.

Sorry po, Master35, but I didn't help much in making suggestions, as I am not an LEO. But I was once a teacher who needed to keep in order a bunch of youths who all cannot understand why they cannot be made an exception to any rule, undoing all efforts of idealistic teachers and administrators and instead corrupting them. Ay, naku. 'Eto na naman po ako! Patawad talaga!

6. master35

master35 New Member

no problem sir gryphon. :cool: