A civilized way to prevent a fight

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by YouKnowWho, Jun 20, 2014.

1. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

In the following clip, if you can control your opponent and if he can't break your grips, he may not want to fight you any more. That will be a very civilized way to prevent a fight before anybody get hurt.

In case your opponent still want to fight you, since you have used one arm to control both of his arms, you will have one free arm to punch at his face. So you have not rule out the possibility to continue your fight if your opponent wants to.

Your thought?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjG4p-erzuo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjG4p-erzuo[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

The only problem with maintaining a grip is that it's an obvious control measure, which can switch an aggressor on, rather than deter him.

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

This can be looked at from 2 different angles.

Angle 1 - If you respond too

- weak, your opponent may think that he can push you around. This may give him more confidence to fight you.
    - strong, your opponent may feels that you are not easy to deal with. He may lose confidence to fight you.

Angle 2 - If you respond too

- weak, your opponent may think that you don't want to fight him. He may stop to bother you.
    - strong, your opponent may think that you want to fight him. He may want to take the violence to the next level.

IMO, if people are

- smart, they will calculate their own risk.
    - not, you just have to do whatever that you need to do.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  4. pecks

pecks Valued Member

I think that would annoy me more than anything else. I'd be thinking about using my legs.

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Nah, I don't see this calming down anybody. If you are going to act first, you need to make it decisive. If the other guy is bigger than you it's going to be really hard to maintain wrist control for any length of time.

6. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Headbutt? :D

7. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

I was thinking the same thing, Headbutting is practically a Martial Art in the UK....

8. Heikki Mustola

Heikki Mustola Valued Member

This Brazilian knows how to humiliate man to the point that he only wants to leave, not fight. Look at this beautiful slap and the fake.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PEt_daznck"]Brazilian Has Best Pimp Slap Ever - YouTube[/ame]

9. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Brazilian? It sounded like Spanish to me, not Portuguese. Though I suppose it could have been a Brazilian who speaks Spanish.

As for the technique outlined in the video above, I suppose it might calm down some and avoid further violence, but I'm inclined to agree with Simon that tying up and controlling someone's limbs might actually up the fear/anger/adrenaline and cause them to get more aggressive.

10. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I just don't think at that close of a range I'm going to try to hold a grip on someone. I'm more focused on hitting and moving/getting away afterward.

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

We were talking about stopping someone to fight last night, along with perfect technique. "A well placed, well executed leg kick can really take ye fight out of someone, and it also impairs their ability to chase you".

Or words to that effect.

12. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

For me, that kind of grip control looks a little too clumsy (for my tastes anyway).

I'd also be far more inclined to be angrier with someone who tried to hold me like that and more likely to escalate the hostility.

Also, if you want to punch someone in the face from that position, don't you have to let go with one hand? Which would leave them free to grab/slap/scratch/punch/do something to you back?

13. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I was actually going to mention that. It's one thing that I really like the idea of. The fact that you wouldn't have to try to go for a KO or just knock them down in general makes things a lot less dangerous for them. Leg kicks severely hurt and that alone would take a lot of steam off anybody.

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I can see that annoying my 5 year old but the average drunk is gonna kick off and start getting a bit punchy if you did that while they were aggressive.

15. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I had used the arms jam strategy to prevent a fight before. It works for me. I just put my idea out there to be tested. Thanks for all your guy's valuable input.

How about this strategy? The idea is you try to stop a fight and nobody gets hurt.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVCxpS8dPGs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVCxpS8dPGs[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  16. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

:confused:What am I missing or not seeing correctly?

It looks to me like both arms are used in this video to control the opponents arms. Ending with one hand grabbing one arm, while the other hand is grabbing the other one.

I am baffled.

17. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Your left hand is not needed at that moment. His left arm is jamming his own right arm (this is the effect that you want to create). His left arm may not jam his own right arm very long, it will still give you enough time to punch his face with your left hand before he can pull his right arm loose.

If you pull his left arm to jam his right "upper" arm, it will be even harder for him to pull his right arm free. The only problem is when you do that, since your right hand is on your left side, it will be harder for you to use your right arm to get a head lock on him from that position. Your own hands position depends on what move you intend to do if the fight continue.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014