A bit of science to chew on: juggling to improve sparring performance.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by DJHalliB, Sep 22, 2005.

1. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

Learnig to juggle stimulates anatomical changes in the brain causing the area that handles anticipating movement to grow by a substantial amount.

In theory, this would make all movement-predicting to be more accurate and faster including spotting kicks/punches and reacting to them sooner for sparring.

It could also be a task-specific modification implying that martial arts sparring also affects the same change.

A link for a very short version of it: http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaP...2/abs/427311a_r.html&dynoptions=doi1112873055

Lets hear some thoughts then.

2. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

Well, you can do knee raises to strengthen your hip flexors for sparring. Or you can practice your kicks. If they need no extra work that'll be suffice.

I see it the same way for this, juggling could be a good way for people that can juggle to mix up their routine. But for most that can't juggle and also are happy just sparring... You can't get more specific for practicing sparring then sparring.

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Boy I can believe that. I taught myself juggling like 25 years ago and its helped my hand eye coordination immensely. Never could get juggling clubs tho...

4. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

It doesnt seem like you get the point ninja. I'm not talking about specific sparring training, or muscular strengthening. I'm talking about inducing anatomical changes in your brain (changes that sparring does not induce) to enhance hand-eye coordination and the prediction of movement patterns and the possible carry-over to sparring.

I'm not saying that its a better use of ones time to practice juggling rather then sparring to be good in sparring. Its a theoretical discussion rather than "yes or no" factoidal discussion.

Also, if you can already juggle then maintaining the skill is sufficient in this context, so its not advice for people that can already juggle to "mix up their routine".

Nobody else willing to offer thoughts? Kwajman seems to have experience with it.

5. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

The hand-eye coordination benefits is obvious.

What a great idea!

6. Wynnston

Wynnston Member

I taught myself to juggle about ten-eleven years ago but didn't progress beyond the basics of three spherical objects. I haved fenced before and since then but not noticed a significant change in performance whilst sparring. In my case I think it's because my fencing and juggling training has been rather intermittent so it's difficult to make a valid before and after comparison. I think the sustained concentration required to juggle properly is a key aspect of any benefits of doing it.

I've just started competitive fencing again and haven't been doing too great so far so I'll try some juggling as well :D

7. Hedgehog Ninja

Hedgehog Ninja New Member

Hey Wynnston,

I'm a competitive fencer too - just made it onto the Cadet squad in fact - what weapon do you do? :)

8. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

It would seem so, what is the point? Does changing the anatomical structure of your brain help your MA? With the principal of specificity the changes in Synaptic pathways, helping with 'muscle memory' in a way that juggling wouldn't do in the same way. I just don't see why juggling, whether it changes your brain or not, why it would be great for MA training. It'd be fun, I'll admit that. But learning to spar, and with the changes in your brain that will come from that compared to the changes in your brain with juggling, I'd prefer to concentrate on the sparring.

It was my thought I gave, I didn't say 'no'. I said it wouldn't be the most specific thing you could do, it would be a fun alternative.

9. Wynnston

Wynnston Member

Good lad - Mainly foil but I have been known to wave epee's at people. I've just started back in the British opens at foil and I'm currently getting caned. However, that will improve - or I'll stamp my feet and :cry:

10. Vayne

Vayne New Member

Juggling help to improve the er...left side of the brain? (could be right - whichever is the side that controls the subconscience and stuff). I'd say it'll improve some aspect of your sparring...think i might give it a go myself (sounds cool! :cool:)

Hey and nice Dimmu Borgir pic NinjaMonkey ;)

/Vayne