A bit of advice?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by benkei, Feb 17, 2005.

1. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Hi guys, I'm a jujutsu/judo practitioner, and I want to improve my punching speed and power. Going to a boxing gym once a week would be great, but I'm training 5 days a week as it is, and with work and uni, it's just not going to happen. Is there anything I can do besides practicing on a bag, and maybe the focus mitts? I have access to a bag pretty much 5 days a week, and I can have someone hold the focus pads maybe twice a week. I really want to get a decent jab going, and then maybe move into a few simple combinations(maybe you could recommend some?)
    Any help/advice is appreciated.

2. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Working on a bag and focus mitts will help; but they'll never replace a coach. Without coaching, you'll undoubtly develope bad technique which can sometimes be very difficult to un-learn.

As for jabbing; a good method of working the jab is to use a floor to ceiling ball (if you have access to one). It really helps with getting distance and timing. You can also work the jab on the heavy bag, always being mobile and moving around the bag, jabbing it off.

Some simple combinations to start off with would obviously be the good old jab, cross. Jab, cross, hook; Cross hook. Try to keep them simple... you normally find the simple ones are the ones which work best. - and always keep them smooth, the rhythm is not 1-2-3 but 123; in a continuous, smooth movement.

I'd seriously recommend you give Stickfighter alook; they've some excellent information, combinations on various techniques which will certianally help you. :)

Hope this helps!

3. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Thanks for the help yuki, I decided to try and shift my schedule around a bit and I'm going to try 1 boxing session a week. It's 2.5 hours, so I'm sure it'll be a good workout and leave me with stuff to work on the rest of the week.

4. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Going to a boxing session is definatly recommended over hitting a bag at home! :) 2.5 hours is an excellent length as well, give you plenty of time to work on bags, footwork, sparring, pads :)

5. Pyro

Pyro New Member

Agreed. Definately work a session into the week.

6. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

The jab is a great technique; it's can prove especially useful for your takedowns or shooting learned in Jujitsu/Judo; you use the jab as a decoy to hide your shoot for the legs.

7. Black Thistle

Black Thistle New Member

Its good that you want to pay attention to such an important aspect of fighting. Most MA I've came across wouldn't last 2 seconds in the ring because of their poor boxing skills. Even the elite guys out there, none of them really impress me with their hands but I understand as this is MMA or whatever MA your doing, you have other things to think about I.E ground game etc...still.

Punching power is talent, of course you can teach a guy how to develop his punch/ application, delivery of punch, balance...all contributory factors to punching, but what seperates the wheat from the chaff is talent. Otherwise, we'd all be Nigel Benn wouldn't we ;)

Oh yes, and also the above advice :D