7th Dan.

Discussion in 'Celebrations!' started by JohnnyX, Jan 6, 2005.

1. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

I found out tonight that the Head Instructor of our Shukokai Karate Association has just been awarded his 7th Dan by the EKGB.

Congratulations to Sensei Tommy Kwan.

2. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

Congratulations :) that's great news :)

and how do you mean awarded? there was no test?

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

he probably passed the test, and since he passed, they awarded him his 7th dan, or maybe he was being tested during the whole time he was 6th dan and when he was considered ready he was given his 7th dan.

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

As I understand it, after 4th or 5th Dan, you are awarded further Dans by your Governing Body based on the number of years you have been 'studying' and also your contribution to the 'art'.

I may be wrong though - I haven't got to that part of the experience yet. :D

5. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

I heard that it is done that way in certain styles/schools, that's why i was asking.

6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

He'd been a 6th Dan for 10 years, so it's deserved.

Better than being a 1st Dan one day and then a 10th Dan and Soke of you own newly invented style the next day I suppose.

7. rigsville

rigsville Shukokai Karate

Johnny, thanks for the info.

Congratulations to Sensei Tommy Kwan - he is a well known, respected and popular Shukokai instructor.

8. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

:eek: How do you know him? :eek:

:D

9. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Big congrats to him as well. It always feels great to see someone you respect getting recognized for something they deserve!

10. rigsville

rigsville Shukokai Karate

I don't know him personally- I've heard his name mentioned quite a few times in interviews etc.

11. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Ah, I see. :)

12. shukokai2000

shukokai2000 New Member

I was on a recent course with sensei kwan. With yamada sensei, and kamohara sensei. ................. A1 Great