6-month black belts - what the hell?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by shotokanwarrior, Dec 6, 2003.

1. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Noooo - I'll do it for £400 - I'll even do you a real nice certificate :p

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Why am I not suprised by that link? I bet he sells LOADS of them too.

The MA world is in a sad state :(

4. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Wow so with my Karate Black Belt which i got in Six Months,
    along with my Krav Maga 'Fear no Man' teachers Certificate
    which I bought for 2000 UKP and now with my Dan grade in Taekwondo for 1.55 USD, I must be a Grandmaster by now.
    In fact i'm off to be a Soke soon.

What shall I call my new style?
    ChopSokido?
    Or WhaJuMaCallitJitsu?

First Lesson will be the Wallet steal and Subscription Grappling.

5. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

How about Ebaykan?

Its just another example of how the desire for belts/glory, often overtakes the principle of blood sweat and tears to get your belts. Personally, I'd rather be a good 5th kyu than a poor 1st Dan

6. blaksun

blaksun Banned Banned

Ninjutsu black sash belts can be ordered through the mail, so they don't necessarily mean anything in this world of con-men,,,unless the dude turns invisible...

7. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

8. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

Hmm I would like one of thouse certificates hanging on my wall just for a good laugh.

9. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

10. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

KGirl - is that your martial art?

We will shortly be offering the "Martial Arts Planet Approved blackbelt certificate". Just 1000 posts and a small (£200) donation to qualify.

For an extra £50, we'll even throw in a signed photo of the Moderator or Administrator of your choice. :D

11. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Do Not Mock the Power of Llap Goch!
    I can kill you with one Toenail from twenty feet.

Shotokan Warrior, you do know that I was joking right....

Only a thousand posts and 200 quid for A Map-Fu chit?
    That's not bad, what colour's the certificate?

Can you do them in Mauve with Yellow Script?
    And can I get my photo taken in my Silk Gi with the Gingham Trim?

12. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Is it my art? IS IT MY ART? I'm the goddamned Grandmaster*!! Bow down before me and marvel at my McDojo Prowess :D

£50? Wow, and I've been giving them to people on Yahoo all this time for nothing! :(

*PM Sokklab or Morphus for geniune Llap Goch Gradmaster Certificates, and enclose £2.67p via Paypal. Don't delay, buy today and get delivery in time for Christmas

13. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Uh, make it £350, and I'll authenticate it as well :)

Beat that and turn a profit *snigger* Dave ;)

14. Dinesh

Dinesh New Member

ahah@most of this thread.
    The thing is most schools are more driven by MONEY rather than turning out quality students and instructors.It's human nature.
    We want money even if it jepordizes our integrity.
    I've seen a few Mcdojos' over the years,and alot of the students skill show ,if u know what i mean.
    Money can get u anything in this world,but is it worth it?
    the 6month thing I've never heard of before.But it is fact that people are certified very quickly in some organizations.But what happens if they go belly up?YOu land up a couple o bucks short(actually it's usually about 100 USD),a peice of paper with someones signature that probably doesn't mean diddly squat.

15. shotokanwarrior

same here. i would rather be a kick ass martial artist and not have ANY grade than be a rubbish black belt.

16. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

-I actually know of a famous nation-wide TKD chain that is infamous for doing this, though there norm is more like one year to black and 18 mos. to be an instructor. I won't name them since there are schools and instructors within said organization that hold themselves and their students to higher standards, but it still amazes me that with a national organization, they would allow ANY of there schools to get away with this, let alone a good percentage, if not the majority.
    -In fairness, I will mention that BLACK BELT HALL OF FAME member and former world heayweight kickboxing champion Joe Lewis earned his first degree black belt in just over six months in Okinawa.(it should be noted that the USMC decided that his MA training should be a major part of his job over there an he reportedly trained an average of 8 hrs/day, 6-7 days/ wk.) Shortly thereafter, he moved back to the US and took both the forms and fighting grandchampionship at his first tournament (a major nat'l event beating out some of the best competitors of the era). He went on to become a champion in both point sparring and the pioneering champion of full-contact and kickboxing. His training partner, Bruce Lee referred to him in print as "the greatest fighter of all time (Bruce included). I'm sure that some of the McDojos will point to this example saying "well, if Lewis could do it, Why not us?". Funy how none of their people (including masters) have NEVER been evenly remotely in the league of anyone even close to Lewis' skill or ability (major understatement).

17. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

-One more point, if I may. Though there are an abundance of people who will sell out for money in the arts (unfortunately), this is the dumbest reason to compromise your integrity. Other than a select few who are millioares from the arts, this profession is NOT the most lucrative financial venture out there. Even those who do take home a seven figure income from teaching are individuals who would make FAR more income if they chose to take their talents into other fields. They stay with the arts based on their love of the arts and the changes they make in peoples lives'
    -Beyond that, our product IS the quality of our students, espescially the advanced ones (if your school uses a belt system, particularly the black belts). If an instructor or organizaton sells or gives these away without a high standard, then from a long-term business viewpoint, he/she is just shooting themselves in the foot. What value would a diploma from Harvard or Oxford have if you could buy one with only six months of study if the price was right? How much of this could these institutions survive before their value was gone?

18. Chris.B

Chris.B New Member

Some schools around here will let you get your belt in around 2 years, if you do some insane Joe Lewis thing and train like crazy. But the minimum is 2 years it dosn't matter how good you are they won't make it shorter. Well unless your like Jet Li, but it usualy takes people around 4-6

19. incubus

incubus Valued Member

I think you got your message bro!

20. shotokanwarrior

holy ****. That is such sacrilege!