£58,225 in bus lane fines each month

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by axelb, Sep 20, 2007.

1. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berkshire/7004391.stm

Reading council are making £58,225 in bus lane fines each month,

which I have no problem with:

It's a bus lane. When I used to drive to work I would be annoyed with the drivers (usually BMW type) whizzing down the bus lane to skip the 20min queue I was sat in along with the other patient drivers.

I'm happy to know that the council is making money out of these inconsiderate pain in the butt drivers who are confused as to why you are not letting them in the front of the queue after you law abidingly sat in it whilst they made their time a priority over yours, and cause more traffic baking up.

Maybe Nigel hasn't driven through Reading at rush hour... or at all.

or maybe to overtake 50+ vehicles waiting patiently you meff.

methinks Mr Humphries has used this lane and got a fine 1 time to many, maybe he should wait in line like the rest of us.

2. DaveSlater

DaveSlater Valued Member

that happened to me only i wasn't caught by a camera just a blind and stupid copper

i'm normally pretty considerate when it comes to driving and really only jump the last few yards of a bus lane when there's no other traffic in that lane allowing me to get a head start at the lights

if there's a big que i'll sit there quite happily like the rest

this time a car was turning right just at the start of the lane so in order to avoid braking i undertook causing me to catch the 1st couple of yards of the bus lane before moving back to the correct lane

my luck being what it is of course meant that this was the day the police had chosen to mount a campaign against driving in the bus lane

they'd quite clearly seen what i'd done and why but denied all knowledge of it and no amount of protesting would stop them from issuing a fixed penalty fine it was either that or go to court and risk points on my license

jobsworths will be the downfall of mankind i tell ye!

3. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

We got sent a fine for driving in the bus lane. They even sent us a video which clearly showed us passing across the lane to get to our friend's drive. We had to threaten legal action to get the case dropped. :bang:

4. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

I'm not sure that "I did it to avoid braking" is generally an acceptable defense for traffic violations.

5. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Didn't think so. Shame... ;)

6. DaveSlater

DaveSlater Valued Member

my point being that any reasonable human being would have acknowledged the fact that i immediately went back to the correct lane

as it happens the bus lane starts after the junction and so the point where i was actually going around the car i wasn't in violation of it

it was only by then trying smoothly (ie without driving dangerously) move into the correct lane that i drove over the first couple of yards

had i been pretending i was a rally driver i might have been able to get back into the right lane without hitting the bus lane

this and the fact that in all the time i was protesting to the police not one bus used the lane fell on deaf ears!

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

lol, so you only broke the law a little bit? Assuming you were driving with due care and attention you would have realised that you would have to infringe on the bus lane in order to complete your manoeuvre safely, thus willfully breaking the law.