52x writer too damn slow

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Cain, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Cain

Cain New Member

I just got my hands on 2 toys somewhat luckily, one is a dvd reader and cd writer combo, one's a lg 52 32 52 writer and the other's a liton cd writer+dvd reader combo with the same writing speeds but......the problem is that they are writing just too slow I set the speed as 52x/48x in nero/alcohol and even the cd I am writing supports the speed but it writes at a speed like less than 1 mb, and in alcohol the actual speed shows up at 3x - 4x, hat's a ton of speed I am missing :(

I got the liton about a month after the lg one but still both writers have the same problem so it is'nt a hardware problem I guess unless I have to bug my mboard settings.......but.......any reason why the speeds that crappy? and how do I fix this thing up without having me finish my whole books while waiting :rolleyes:

Thanx,

|Cain|

Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  2. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

using nero, my lite-on cd re-writer (32x 10x,40x) and a 32x cdr, i get a maximum of 24x autodetection and a coaster if i burn at 32x.

these things happen, unfortunately i can't help you on this one. good luck with it.

3. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

all I can think of is a problem with your (IDE?) cables, or how they are setup. Have you got the master / slave jumpers set correctly, and what have you got on each IDE slot? IDE channells run at the speed of the slowest device, so if you have a slower IDE drive on the same channel as the CD drive, this could slow it down. (Probably not by the factor you are talking about though!)

4. com160

com160 New Member

also try to put the cdr as the last device on the cable for some reason some prefer that.
    can the cds you are using be written too at that speed check the box, or get a cd you know can take 52x, some cheaper ones wont and the you'll end up with a load of coasters.

5. Cain

Cain New Member

The jmpers seem fine the cds I am sure can take 52x since the same brands seem to run quite fast in my fried's pc, both the writers are on the secondary thingy with one set as master and the other as slave, the cable is the only thing in common......I think I got the culprit, thanx a bunch and a whack on ma head for not thinking it before ;)

I'll keep ya updated on this

|Cain|

6. hongkongfuey

I'll send you an invoice - usual address? ;)

7. Cain

Cain New Member

LOL! :D

I am kinda stumped, changing the cables seems to have the same speed.......maybe I gotta try it on different OS's or something.........

|Cain|

8. jokerlaughsatu

jokerlaughsatu New Member

is your hdd performing ok? a burner cant write faster than the information is supplied to it

9. Cain

Cain New Member

HDD seems just about fine at a speed of about 10-20 mbps [yeah, I actually copied something to check :rolleyes:]

|Cain|

10. jokerlaughsatu

in your situation i usually give it a good solid whack

11. com160

com160 New Member

if in doubt, give it a clout!

12. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

Your CD writer has to be on a different cable from wherever it is getting its information.

That is - if it is getting info from your main hard drive or a 2nd cd drive then the writer must be connected to the motherboard on another cable from these as the cable cannot handle the amount of data.

I have 2 dvd drives and 2 hard drives. The main hard drive and my 2nd dvd are on one cable, my mian cd/dvd writer is connected to my 2nd hard drive (which is hardly ever used).

13. hongkongfuey

have you tried changing the jumper settings to 'cable select'? I've seen cases where this works when primary / secondary setups do not.

14. Cain

Cain New Member

err......it's fixed, I was too stumped taking the writer to my friends' house, trying it there etc and they used to write fine, well, I installed it back and it had the same problem, neverthless I decided to forget it and install winxp instead, went in the BIOS to change my boot device, noticed something......and I should probably have mentioned and checked this before.........but my totally dumb self.........such a dufus.......I never had never declared my writers in the BIOS!!! x(

I set it to auto, restarted, wrote a cd and BAM! a 40x cd wrote in just 5 mins!

Thanx a bunch for the help!

|Cain|

15. jokerlaughsatu

you know what would be even easier? get a mac

16. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Why? Is it raining?

17. Cain

Cain New Member

LOL Yoda!!!!! :D

I'd rather play a game like counterstraike than get a mac :D

|Cain|

18. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

I had the impression that the intallation took care of the BIOS for you. That could be because most BIOS' are in auto by default though, I don't know.