5 Key Aspects of Fiction Writing

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by slb, Apr 1, 2013.

1. slb

slb New Member

What is your opinion on the five key aspects on fiction writing? Plot? Character? Setting?

2. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Are we doing you homework for you young man? Well, first of all, MAP has a writer's corner, who knew? Not I. Secondly, the key to being a strong fiction writer, I believe, looks something like the following:

1. Human angle. Most important is finding the humanity of your story and knowing people. If there isn't a strong human connection for the reader the care about, the rest is lost.

2. Find your voice and own it. For a new writer the easiest way is probably sticking to what you know and writing from a monologue similar to the one you use in your daily life when thinking.

3. Learn the be concise. If it's extraneous, lose it, sentence by painstaking sentence. People have busy lives and there is TV to compete with now. This is, thankfully, not Victorian England still.

4. Everything else is frosting on the Frodo cake.

Good luck. :)

3. slb

slb New Member

No John not homework for me. I have my own list I made up for a seminar I gave last year to a writers' retreat and at a library where I was with my Sisters in Crime group. I am interested in others' views in order to expand and refine my own.

Thanks!