5 Brazilian-Jujutsu Techniques for Females Who Fight Back

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Melanie, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

I found it very interesting that it was said Royce's arsenal was limited. You do what works, and in Jiu-Jitsu you react to what the opponent does. It was Royce who controlled those fights taking his opponents to the ground and obtaining the positioning that he wanted. aside from a few fights, that's how it went. The one fight you could say was limited (if for some reason you deemed it as such) was his fight with Severn. But even that, with an 80 pound heavier man riding him for that huge amount of time, he took no damage and was in little danger and then ended up winning. So I am not sure it should be called limited. He won, and won with very little damage. Jiu-Jitsu isn't full of Hollywood kicks with people souring through the air at mach 19. It is real and tried-and-true. I wish it was that simple, I would be a black belt by now.
    As for that article, that looks like some stuff from the RAPESAFE series from the Gracie Academy. That stuff is great and alllllll women should take it.

2. slc

slc Banned Banned

Exactly, if you could win every fight with one jab you'd do it! :D

3. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

LOL @ Darzeka's comments on Royce being 'unimaginative'.

There is a saying 'I'd rather have one technique to fight with, than to have 10 techniques that fight me'.

Royce is the embodiment of that saying. It is fight strategy executed to a T. Take guy down, control, when he gives something up go for the armlock/choke. Simple, but works effectively.

Also, in BJJ different guys fight differently. Royce is more of a counter-fighter. Guys like Mino will attempt sub after sub. Rickson tends to go for simple things but executes them so well that the other guy can do nothing to stop it.

This is what Bruce Lee was talking about, 'aliveness', and how every fighter that trains in this manner develops his own 'personality', rather than everyone fighting in the same manner.

4. stump

stump Supersub

<<<The only real change in BJJ than many other variations of JJ is that they tend to go to ground more than just about any other style. >>> said by Jim

Would have to disagree with this statement slightly. The main difference between Trad JJ and BJJ is that BJJ is far willing to test itself in various situations to see what really works when under pressure

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I slightly disagree also:D

There are many schools of JJ that pressure test but all slightly different. Some schools I've trained at are very much into full on knockdown (this really hurts! ;) ), could this be considered as more street practical than BJJ? Rather than following them down, they leg it.

Now somebody will turn around and tell me that we have to practice groundwork for realism! All I'm saying is that the emphasis on specific pts in training is different, find what works for you but don't ignore any specific areana!

Col

6. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

trad JJ could really be ANYTHING. There is no 'standard' JJJ school.

I've seen some excellent trad jj schools. Sure, they teach the aikido type two man kata, but they also do a lot of sparring, some a lot of groundwork. Pretty damn good.

At the same time, I've seen a lot of conmen. Guys that claim to teach stuff like 'aiki jujitsu' etc, and all the fools following him. Needless to say, ppl like that don't endorse sparring in their curriculum, lest they be found out.

I've also seen just plain out crap schools. No sparring, but even their two man kata are plain shoddy.

It's a mixed bag really.

7. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

HELLO

Royce weighd in at 175 in the UFC
    He was Fighting guys who had almost 70 pounds on him.
    He showed the world that a small person can beat a larger person.

Royce Prved his worth & desirves Respect.