400m running/sprinting

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by JaxMMA, Feb 27, 2011.

1. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

I'm thinking about throwing in a session of 400m running once a week (posibly on weekend) into my current routine for cardio. Goal is to start off with 2x400m.

What I'm having a hard time understanding is: do you take off full speed and try to run is if you were being chased by a puma or do you run at a little slower pace from your max speed?

Thanks in advance

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

There's a good 400m routine on T Nation as I remember, might be worth a look?

Mitch

3. JaxMMA

Any idea who's the author of the article? It would help narrow down the search

4. Mitch

I think this was the one, got to go but I'll have another look later :)

Mitch

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Nice article Mitch - thanks!

Ross Enamait recommends doing 400m intervals at a pace close to a sprint, but not so fast that you can't complete the distance. He also says to try to pick up the pace in the last 75-100m. I suspect you'll have to find your exact pace through a bit of experimentation.

6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

not being funny but why do you want to throw them in?

7. JaxMMA

Thanks for the article. I remember reading this one a while ago.

Good tip. I'll have to find out...it's been a while since I've ran 400m in highschool :)

I've been doing slow paced cardio for a couple of months now and for the next few months I won't be able to do it as often due to schedule.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  8. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

KE was a fan of the 400m maybe ask him too?

9. JaxMMA

Hm, not sure who that is...

10. Mitch

Knight Errant on MAP

Mitch

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

fair enough but why have you chosen 400m sprints, over say 100 200 800m, threshold work or even tempo work?

Just curious as to why the 400 meters, how you answer that would really change how someone would suggest running pace to you

12. JaxMMA

Ah, thanks.

No particular reason, really, I just thought that 400m was the "standard"...
    Also, in Thibs article: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/running_man
    he talks about 400m.