.303 British

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by hardball, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

Have got a mate who has picked one up as his first hunting rifle. Only been out with him once with it, but he didn't do too well. Probably just needed some TLC. Have heard stories about people breaking their face with the bolt springing back at them, I'm guessing this isn't normal, and there's some trick to avoiding it? Hasn't happened to my mate though.

Just a hunter myself, hunt pigs with dogs and a .44 magnum rifle, and deer with a 7mm-08, a pretty versatile rifle. My best is a 320m, was stoked with myself, but I'm well aware it's basically spitting distance for a sniper! I'm hoping to get something like a tikka t3 .270 next, for a bit more reach.

Just in case there're any more sport shooters out there...

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Does it have the same recoil as a K98 Mauser?

3. hardball

hardball Valued Member

You probably can get one at a gun show for around $200.00 or $300.00 or somewhere in between.

4. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Never shot a k98 but the 303 kick is not that bad because of the heavy wood stock.

5. hardball

hardball Valued Member

30.30 winchester has more recoil than the .303 british

6. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Never experienced that even after over a thousand rounds. Sounds like a broken gun which can be very dangerous.

7. 47MartialMan

Seen those at gun shows. People pass these up as the sales are of "assault" style

Some say the M1Garrand is the same because of the stock

I have a lever action 30/30....recoil is moderate IMHO

8. hardball

hardball Valued Member

It takes a special kind of person to want a .303 british. Sort of like a history buff. M1 Garrand is a .30.06 round which is pretty close to the size of a .303 but the .303 is slightly longer. Well if you consider the 30.30 to have a moderate recoil then you will probably like the .303 as light recoil.

9. 47MartialMan

Well, the current trend for some time is upon automatic firearms, especially those of high capacity.

Not too many "newer generation" desires the "old school stuff"

I even like the Mosin Nagant

10. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

I hear you. My tastes are pretty old school. The first rifle I bought on my own was a Carcano . I didn't think it was that great, but later I had a Mauser and a 303 (both great IMHO).

11. 47MartialMan

Carcano ...wasn't there a Japanese version of this?

12. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

There was an Arisaka rifle that was maybe made by the same factory for the Japanese. I think that is the case - don't know much about them.

13. 47MartialMan

I wouldn't be surprise. The Japanese had cloned many weapons back then. They only had one decent gun designer back then, and his designs nor the manufacturing methods were up to par. Very few of their firearms were worthy

14. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I'm a 33-year-old with a 1911 and a BPS (pump-action twelve-gauge), and if I were to get a rifle, I think an M1A (civilian version of the M14) is way cooler than the AR-15 platform. We're out there.

I've always thought the Enfield was a cool rifle, but like anything that doesn't use a common ammunition size, I'd worry about the cost and availability of ammo. And if I were to get a WWII rifle, I'd personally start with an M1 Garand, but that's a very subjective/sentimental matter.

15. 47MartialMan

M1A and M1 Garand are both nice

As for the AR platform, well it is a lightweight and spray a lot of ammo.
    Kinda fun when one doesn't have to change a mag too often
    The .22LR versions is great plinkering and inexpensive ammo

16. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I feel about the AR platform exactly how I feel about Glock pistols: I respect their utility and practicality, but I don't find them appealing from a purely subjective perspective, and as a civilian in a non-war-zone, I have the luxury of worrying about whether I like a firearm from a subjective perspective.

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Would LOVE to own an M1, but they ain't cheap up here!

18. 47MartialMan

They are not "cheap" anywhere :(

"Subjective Perspective?"

Please explain

Thanks

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

My next will probably be an SKS - there are some nice modded ones for the $500 mark, or an "as is" for about $200

20. 47MartialMan

Yeah. At some "gun shows", they give this away as a "door prize"