Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Towely, Mar 11, 2007.

1. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

OK Bear public apology coming up SORRY about the snafu over the tickets.

The makotokai.

regards koyo

2. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

Saw it again last night.

I think he means the 'immortals'

Attached Files:

3. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

That's correct, the ninja zombies.

How any one can fail to find something enjoyable in "300" is beyond me. It's a classic and quite possibly generation defining like "Star Wars". ;)

4. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Just one gripe. There were no changing rooms!!!! :)

Koyo

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

It is a quality film - within the genre of "rubbish action films" it's brilliant.

6. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Exactly! The film was never about historical accuracy, it was about adapting a comic book onto the big screen.

Having said this, the film did leave me feeling a little annoyed with the blatant hatred of the disabled and deformed it had going on. As the film progressed I was left feeling more than a little uncomfortable by that.

7. inokichi

inokichi Murse

Unfortunately, that is a pretty good representation of Spartan society. Children who were deformed were left on the slopes of Mt Taygetos to die.
    It was quite annoying that they tacked on the Braveheart-esque stuff about freedom and justice, because Sparta was about as totalitarian and unpleasant a society as you can possibly imagine.

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

In all fairness, they actually made him look like a gigantic, 8-ft-tall bitch.

And I kinda liked that. I'm no historian. And I won't dispute for one instant that it wouldn't hold up to historical scrutiny. But the whole asexual god king thing worked for me. I thought he made a good adversary.

I really enjoyed the movie. (But then, I really liked Troy too. Sorry Slip.) As I said, I'm no historian. And I know my historian pal isn't even planning on seeing 300, as he'll undoubtedly resent it.

But it's good, stylistic fun. I enjoyed the fight choreography, the visual imagery, and yes, the chest-thumping, over-the-top manliness.

I'll go on record (again) as saying that I don't like the liberal use of the term "warrior" that we see so often here. But, by the gods, in its proper context, I'm a sucker for a good (or even not-so-good) look at a warrior culture.

Stuart

9. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

The disparity you highlight though is part of what makes the hatred of disfigurement cause me discomfort. The Spartan culture was:

1. Homosexual (Typically)
    2. Totalitarian
    3. Prejudiced against the deformed

Two of those things where completely reversed to fit with modern western views (Well Frank Millers views anyway) But one of them remained and was practically portrayed as being on a level with the reversal of the other two. If you where going to rewrite history to make the Spartans more heroic, why was the message of "ugly = bad" left there so clearly.

Having said this, I could be reading to much into the film, it is after all basically a popcorn movie.

10. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

because you'd be amazingly disgusted how prevelant that idea is today.
    although, within the film. it did highlight that they were about perfection. and because leonitus was kind to efialtis, it portrayed him as just alittle more human.

11. inokichi

inokichi Murse

Exactly. Just look at most hollywood films. Most hero/heroine characters in action films are played by really good-looking actors/actresses, as opposed to the bad guys who you could pick out of a crowd because they overtly look evil.

But as you've said, it IS an action film, which are generally always completely black and white. They aren't watched for subtle plotlines/character development, but more for scenes like Leonidas hurling a spear into 2 people and then slicing off another guy's leg in slow-motion. Which was awesome :woo:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  12. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

That's COMPLETELY false. Good action films do have plot and character development. Look at films like the Die Hard or the Indiana Jones movies just to name a few. Those have three dimensional characters and tight plotlines, not to mention quality acting. Being an action film doesn't preclude a movie from being cohesive and quality.

13. inokichi

inokichi Murse

Well, it's not so much that action films and the art of good storytelling are mutually exclusive, but more that a lot of action films don't exactly have stunning storylines because that's not really what people watch them for. I don't think people watched films like Ong Bak because they really wanted to see Ting get the head back.

Yes, I agree that there are lots of good action films with excellent plots and character development but it's not really what the genre is renowned for.

14. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Ong bak good god that was terrible, he looks like a little boy that would blow over in a stiff breeze.

15. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Die Hard, best Christmas film ever!

:D

16. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Not sure about that. "Gremlins" is right up there.

17. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

How can you go past a movie where you chuck a creature in a blender or a microwave and turn it on :D

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  18. merlinmsk

merlinmsk Yeah....

Well, I would say that 300 ranks up there with Gladiator, but it doesn't surpass it.

(Let the lynching begin)

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm not really convinced that it was. At least on the surface of things, the hunchback was rejected by Leonidas not because of his appearance, but because of his inability to lift his shield high enough to maintain formation. Granted, there's a subtext there I suppose. But on the surface, it was more a statement about the whole being greater than the individual and that difference wasn't a question of aesthetics, but functionality.

That doesn't make it more palatable, mind you. No disagreement there. But while his captain reacts negatively to the hunchback's appearance, Leonidas gives him an audition that he fails.

Besides, seems to me that more effort was made to emphasize the "beauty" of the main villain Xerxes than the Spartans. Yeah, they're buff. But Xerxes was clearly intended to be beautiful in contrast to their roughness.

Stuart

20. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Actually, Sparta and most of ancient Greece was homosocial, not homosexual. There is a difference. Ancient Greek culture was actually not very tolerant of homosexuals despite the prevalence of the homosocial convention known as paederasty.