300 Workout (open challenge)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cuchulain82, May 4, 2007.

1. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

I think you're selling yourself short. Anyone (well, anyone who is remotely in shape at least) can complete it. But it might be humbling to see that it took one guy from the movies 18 mins to do the same thing you couldn't do in less than 45 or 50 mins.

There's something good about finding out that your fitness isn't where you want it to be. It's sobering. I had what I consider to be a good time on the 300, but I recently posted about another workout that damn near killed me (I called it the hardest workout I've ever done ). It's good to know where you need to work to improve.

I can't argue with that workout, except to question how many times a week you can do it. I personally couldn't do that workout more than twice a week, max, just because there are 4 different compound lifts. My hamstrings would be shot.

If you want to jazz it up a little bit, try doing it against the clock. Turning on a stopwatch has increased the intensity of my workouts termendously.

Maybe you erred, maybe not. I think I'm stronger than most people. I'm not stronger than everyone. Don't sweat that stuff too much- if you're winning fights and controlling your opponents, that is as good proof as there is imho.

2. DAMADAD

DAMADAD Valued Member

Thanks for the encouragement! I appreciate it and I agree with you. I forgot to add that the weight for that exercise is a 45lb Olympic bar( I edited my previous post to reflect this). I only do it twice a week every other month. In between that workout I do body weight exercises and my general MA training. I am not sure if it would be overtraining to try it twice a week for a few months straight, but I think it would be... My weakest areas are pushups and pullups. Pullups being one of the GymJones trademark exercises.

3. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

When it says "one-count" next to the floor wipers, what does that mean?

The only thing I should need to substitute is a normal clean and press for the KB, because I don't have any kettleballs at my gym. I'm not quite sure how much weight I should use though.

If I have time today, I'm going to try this at my gym. I think I'll try the clean and press with a barbell at 55lbs. If I don't do it today I'll do it very soon. I'll let you know Cuch as soon as I finish it.

4. DAMADAD

DAMADAD Valued Member

Good question IDK

Maybe substitute DBs for KBs? Be careful though.

5. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

I was wondering how those guys got such good physiques. I put it down to steroids, but obviously not.
    Good for them

6. Cuchulain82

Ummm... to tell the truth, I'm not sure. Here's what I know- you can see a picture of floor-wipers at the site. (I couldn't find a picture just now). Basically I layed on the ground with 135# over my chest (like I was going to bench, arms perpendicular to the floor) and touched my feet and head to one side, then the other. It was like a really heavy oblique crunch or something. I counted each touch as 1 rep.

Neither do I. I used a 55 lb db. It's basically the same thing.

Try to use a dumbell if you can- it will be more similar and probably a little more forgiving.

7. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

Okay Cuch, I took your challenge, and let me say... it kicked my ass.

First off, I underestimated the 300. I work at the rock wall at my local YMCA, and I had a group of students had the wall reserved privately from 1-3pm today. They all pooped out at about 2:30, so I decided to climb for about 30 minutes. I tried a new route I had made a couple days ago that was wicked technical, and very difficult. Basically, I was semi-burnt out before I even started the 300.

I took a 15 minute break, then went upstairs to the free-weight floor and started setting up. I set up the 24" box, the 135# barbell, and an empty barbell, all in close proximity to the pullup bar.

I chalked up my hands (Just brought my climbing chalk upstairs with me) and set to work, with my girlfriend timing and counting for me.

By far the hardest thing for me was the first 25 pullups. I squeeked out about 12 before I hit failure. After that I was struggling to get 1 or 2 at a time. It's not so much that I'm bad at pullups, it's more that climbing really fries your grip and your back muscles, so I was at a disadvantage to begin with (I know, I'm just full of excuses today).

It took me 5 whole minutes just to get 25 legitimate pullups. I had to scrap about 7 reps because I didn't quite get my chin far enough above the bar.

Then I pulled off the 50 deadlift reps. They were quite a bit easier, but I was so taxed from struggling through the pullups and my grip was so fried by now that after the first 25 I could barely hold the bar and I was breathing very heavily. I got through them all within just a couple minutes though, then fell to my knees heaving to get some air.

Moved onto the pushups, and blasted through the first 20 until I collapsed; my arms had turned to mush. Continued to squeek out reps about 5 at a time, usually collapsing on my 5th rep, resting a few seconds, and blasting through a few more.

The box jumps were much like the deadlifts, I was able to get through the first half pretty easy and then all of a sudden I hit a wall and felt like I was going to collapse. They were quite a bit easier to get through than the pushups, I was able to do about ten at a time. My legs never turned to jelly, I just got really winded from having to repeat such an explosive movement over and over and over again, and I had to keep stopping and bending over gasping for air.

I was very surprised with the floor wipers. I'd never done them before, and like you did Cuch I counted each touch as 1 rep (I assumed that's what the meant by one-count), and surprisingly I got through them all in 2 sets. Did the first half, let the bar down while I laid on the ground panting and yelling at my girlfriend to go grab a stretching mat for me to lay on since the hard rubber floor was really hurting my shoulder blades, then got through the second half without stopping again, though it was brutal.

Finally I struggled through the clean and presses, I just used an unweighted 45lb olympic bar, with a narrow grip, touching it to the ground between every rep. At this point that bar felt immensely heavy, and my arms were totally dead. I struggled through all 50 reps about 7-10 reps at a time.

I'm ashamed to say I didn't actually finish. When I got to the last 25 pullups, I knew that if I was going to do them all I would be there all day. I tried for the 1st one and it took SOO much out of me that I just stopped and called it a day, at 24 minutes and 51 seconds.

I'm going to try it again in a few weeks, and next time I'm going to give it proper respect and make sure I'm 100% fresh for it.

You gotta try it with real box jumps Cuch, those are so brutal!

8. Cuchulain82

:D That sentence makes my night! Don't you just love it when you do something and are forced to admit mentally that... 'man, I suck at this.' Good times!

Bad idea jeans.

Oh man... the hits just keep coming. Okay, no more running commentary. Just a few things:

-I thought the first round of pullups weren't bad, but I wouldn't have worked a rock wall for a half-hour first. Yikes.
    -I blew through the deadlifts- I did a set of 25, stopped, did a set of 15, stopped, then did two sets of 5. My grip was shot by the end.
    -Re: Boxjumps. I also tore through the squats, and I think that helped my time because I've never done box jumps with any regularity.

The floor wipers were what did me in, and that surprised me. It took me four or five sets to get them done, largely because my shoulders were spent. I just couldn't get any more than 8 or 10 reps without the bar shaking, me worrying about dumping the weight, etc.

Next time try a dumbell- it is very close to a kb and allows for alternating hands. I was tired at this point as well, but it wasn't too bad because I actually train dumbell clean and press fairly regularly.

Nice time! If it were 31 seconds faster, I'd be really mad. Next time don't climb- I'll bet you drop a significant amount of time (that is, if you finish *cough*cough* ;) )

9. flaming

flaming Valued Member

10. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

what is a floor wiper.please explain

11. Cuchulain82

As requested, here's a video!

The video does a better job showing than I could explaining.

12. Cuchulain82

Did it again

As promised, I did the 300 again. I'm not sure how interested anyone else is, but I thought one more post was okay. A few details:

-This time I did proper box jumps, not squats. As Soc said, they are a lot harder. In fact, I found them the most taxing
    -The pullups remaing awful
    -The floorwipers were easier for me this time.

Cuch 300, part deux, time: 23:27 (mins:secs)

-I was really concerned with beating my last time of 24:31. The box jumps took a lot longer squats, so I was finishing out my workout and misread the time. I thought I'd finished in 24:27, but I looked again and realized I was a minute off. A nice mistake.
    -It was harder this time- a lot harder- because of the box jumps.

So, anyone else wants to post, please do.

13. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

i did it!!!!

it was hard but not really as hard i i expected.

my time 20.45

i did it alone so i think i could go alot harder.(i get lazy if i dont have my trainers/buddies telling me what a peice of ---- i am)

the next day i had a bit of soreness in my shoulders too.

i cant remeber my exact rep scheme but iwill try to come close.

20 pull ups rest then 5 more
    20,20.5 for the deadlift...at this point i thought wow this is going to be impossible.was getting kinda wooped

durring the pushups i went in sets of 10 and got most of my wind back.(if you want a kick butt time this is probable the way to go..small sets)

next was the box jumps 25,25......this part was more aerobic feel to it really out of breath but not that huge lactice acid build up.

floor wipers...these were hard...plus i had to disregared my small set principal cause i figured i would be wasting a lot of time getting the bar in place so i did them all at once..kinda burned out but i knew the end was near.

40 lbs dumble clean and jerk had to take the place of the kettlebell. i bumped it up 5 lbs sice i know a kettle bell is harder to use. this seemed easy to me

now back to pull ups i did 10 10 10 i looked at the time and realized i was under 20 minutes so i wanted to get a real good time..... then i figured go for broke and finsh this mess ...oops.. no can do... i only got out 15 reps and it took another 30 seconds just to get the final 5 reps (more a problem of grip than anything else)

14. Kralk

Kralk Valued Member

lets not forget that all of there defintion will have been enhanced using makeup.

15. Cuchulain82

What's your time?

16. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

ok, I just gave this a blast. I don't have any weights here, so I've been using an old jiu jitsu belt and a ten stone punch bag which is 140 lbs for the deads and floor wipers. I used a small platform for the deads to keep as much ROM as I could. The clean and press was done with an old monitor which weighs 15 kg. Everything else was as it should be.

25 Pulls: 5,5,5,5,5
    50 Deads: 10,10,10,10,10
    50 Pushups: 10,10,10,10,10
    50 Box Jumps: 10,10,10,10,10
    50 Floor Wipers: 10,10,10,10,10
    50 Clean and Press: 10,10,10,10,10
    25 Pulls: 5,5,3,3,3,3,3

Total time: 24:30

It was well under half an hour so I was pretty happy, plus I only do the pulls and deads regularly so most of it was new exercises which was great :D

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  17. Zandorv1037

Zandorv1037 Valued Member

:eek: wow. Just wow. I could never do that.

18. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

yes you could...you would be suprised at what you can do...thats half the battle. if you cnat do it just take little chunks at a time...each time trying to do more or better. sometimes you will other times you wont .....but consistancy and intensity is the key.......workout everyday and you will be a new man...or broad in your case in...in a few years

19. Zandorv1037

Zandorv1037 Valued Member

Thanks ^_^. I'll keep that in mind... maybe I'll try this one day ;)

20. Cuchulain82

Did it again

I did it one more time, after a long time of not doing it. My time:

24 mins, 40 secs.

It felt decidedly different this time than the first time- I was better at some things (the deadlifts) and worse at others (box jumps).