300 Workout (open challenge)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cuchulain82, May 4, 2007.

1. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

Anyone whose read my posts for the past few weeks could probably deduce that I've been visiting gymjones recently for new workout ideas. I found the site originally because I was reading about the movie 300. The actors in that movie were in great shape and I assumed they used HGH. I did a little research and if gymjones is to be believed, the actors looked so good because they worked their tails off.

Anyway, at that site, the "300" workout is posted. It wasn't something the actors did every day. It was a workout that stood as a challenge, a bit of a crucible for guys to attempt if they so chose. Here's the 300 article.

This is the workout:

I did the workout today. I didn't have a place to do box jumps, so I substituted bodyweight squats instead.

The fastest time posted at their site was 18 mins, 11 secs. Today my time (with the squats, which probably kept the time down) was 24 mins, 31 secs.

I challenge everyone/anyone else to give it a shot, and then post your time. Enjoy! :D

2. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

The type of training they used for preparation for the movie, is that what people call Crossfit? Does it improve endurance, strenght, and muscle size at the same time?

3. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

To some degree yes. But it would be more endurance than size.

4. JaxMMA

So wouldn't this type of training be more beneficial to fighters and martial artists than just regular weightlifting?

5. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

The focus of the training was fat loss.

6. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

that and looking ripped and getting a six pac

7. Cuchulain82

It's similar to crossfit style training. Crossfit is a website and organization. They do advocate a similar type of training.

-New Learner is correct- a lot of emphasis is placed on endurance. But that is something that I, at least, have been trying to improve. Especially power over time, which I guess is endurance, but I think of as being able to do the 25th pullup with almost as much ease as the first one.

-har har and Verx are right as well. Something that I think the article downplays is the diet these guys were on. It had to have been strict to shred them out the way they did- lotsa protein, moderate carb, good fats, etc.

Anyway, I just wanted other people to give the workout a shot. It is hard, but not terrible. And it is quick.

8. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

If you want to improve maximum strength output, strength training is still the way to focus on that.

But like Cuchulain said, the CrossFit style workouts let you perform high intensity movements over and over with good sustained power output the whole time.

So in that sense it's perfect for fighters, since you want to be able to go strong the entire time.

9. JaxMMA

Alright, thx for the answers.

OP: Sorry for hijjacking your thread. :D

10. Cuchulain82

Part of the reason I've been training like this recently is because I needed a change. I was lifting really heavy for the past 4-6 months or so. All winter I just ate what I wanted and picked up the heaviest weight I could. Now it's time for a change.

With that said... is no one going to try out this workout?! :eek: Is anyone willing to post a time...?

11. Blevunly

Blevunly Valued Member

I don't have anywhere to do pull ups and no kettle bells. So for the clean and press i'll do double the weight and use a barbell and for pull ups I was thinking bent over rows as that's the closests thing I can think of. How much weight do you think would be a good substituion for the pull ups on the bent over rows?

12. Blevunly

Blevunly Valued Member

Well I used 135lbs (around 63kg) for the bent over rows (I weigh 155lbs around 70kg) and I got past the box jumps (I used stairs) when I realized I didn't have room for the floor wipers I was also tired and very displeased with my performance. So I will work on these exercises and try this again soon. BTW my time was between 17 and 18 minutes for the things I completed.

13. Cuchulain82

Nice run! Don't worry too much about the logistics of why you couldn't get specific exercises done. Just try to do the workout to completion. Exercises like floor wipers shouldn't be too difficult regarding space, so I'm sure you'll find a way.

Thanks for posting! :D

14. ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion Valued Member

I gave it a try, with a few things different. Instead of the box jumps I just did jump squats (trying to clear at least 24"), I started to do the floor wipers but the concrete hurt my bum :p, so I did hanging leg raises (I counted one rep as lifting your legs to the right and left once, is that right?). I also dont have KBs so I used a BB with 30kg(66lbs), I also suck at cleans (hurts my shoulder) so after 25reps I started to just do push presses.

My results: 29.57 :cry:

I suck lol, I've been really lazy with endurance work for ages, think I might do something like this every week to see any improvements.

15. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

TBH the guys in 300 were not exactly hulks of muscle, that physique is achievable by anyone given a good diet and workout structure.

that workout will run you into the ground, your best taking a solid 3 day split over something that is little more than a fad/gimic.

re-read the post: as a once off 'change' to liven things up it could be fun :D

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  16. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

To be fair, he does make this disclaimer:
    The impression I got was it was put up as a challenge, along the lines of "Take a break from your regular training and measure your level of fitness against this."

17. Cuchulain82

That's a good characterization of the workout. I'm curious about how many people will do the workout, and at what time? I'm about 6'1", 235 lbs. I'm psyched I finished in under 25 mins. I do not know if I could get it below 22 or even 20 mins, but I hope to try the workout every 4-8 weeks and see where I'm at.

I just thought some of us who usually talk the talk in the H&F forum should walk the walk as well. :D

18. DAMADAD

DAMADAD Valued Member

The "300" workout was obviously tailored for these particular group actors. If you look at the schedule that gymjones posts on their site you'll see more clearly their intense workout regime. I think the "300" workout is just a fun thing to do, a benchmarker. But in no way a substitute for "your" regular workout or theirs. Putting something together from GJ other workouts they post would be more interesting and beneficial IMO. They focus heavily on "core" strength. Which I think is very good for the martial artist and/or fighter, mountain climber etc...I am currently using this workout of barbell complexes from The 7 Conditioning Secrets of Highly Successful Combat Athletes but I would like to incorporate more of the GJ workouts in my own.

I have definately noticed greater overall strength and stamina throughout my body from the barbell complexes workout. I don't look cut but I am far stronger than most for my bodyweight. As an example, I got into a play fight with a buddy who though smaller than myself has greater arm/upper body strength then me. I was able to easily overcome him through greater core strength when the fight went to the ground.

19. Cuchulain82

So... do the workout. What's your benchmarker?

20. DAMADAD

DAMADAD Valued Member

Well thats it I don't think the "300" is really a workout, but a benchmarker. I don't see why you put those to statements together, they are unrelated. I was referring to the barbell complex workout I use right now. I honestly can't complete the "300" workout.

But I can complete this one:
    With 45lb Olympic bar ( you can add more weight if you like to start or overtime, but starting with 45lbs is recommended)
    1) Deadlift x7 reps
    2) Hang Clean x7 reps
    3) Front Squat x7 reps
    4) Front Press x7 reps
    5) Bent Over Barbell Row x7 reps
    6) Romanian Deadlift x7 reps
    No stopping inbetween reps w/ 60-90 sec rest inbetween sets
    So far I can complete 6 sets

Note: I should add that "I think" I am as strong as those of the same body weight, but honestly I don't know. I have only those that I have sparred with in class to compare too. I so far see that I am straonger or as strong as them. So I errantly was overconfident in my statement.

Last edited: May 9, 2007