300 spartans warrior body

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by JaxMMA, Jun 7, 2007.

1. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

Well of course not. Strict diet and hours of exercise before shooting in front of the green screen. But still, they didn't look like a bunch of body builders with shaved chest and bikinis nor did they look like Sammo Hung.

2. Achilles

Achilles Valued Member

Actually they were.

3. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Am I the only one that noticed the makeup to make the muscles look more defined in 300?

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

You must not be watching the same 300 as the rest of us then.
    They looked hilarious. Strutting around chickenwinged and shouting 'SPARTA!!!'
    They could have achieved the same thing by going to an amatuerbody building contest and handing out scripts. :p On top of that they were all as hairless as the latest crop of metrosexual Calvin Klein ads.

5. JaxMMA

I'm sure I 've seen the same movie as everyone else :)
    But they did not look anything like this:
    [​IMG]
    IMO they are the closest thing to represent spartan warriors in any hollywood movie so far. Sure they were shouting SPARTA and such, but it's all part of the movie. They did as they were told.

6. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Something like steroids?

No...they are: Harden The Freak Up pills.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2007
  7. slipthejab

err... you do realize that Ronnie is at the top of heap right? You did read and understand what I posted right? You do realize that Ronnie is Mr. O right? You do realize that he's not even remotely close to an amatuer bodybuilder right?

I suggest if you think that Spartans actually looked like the beefcake in 300... then you really need to start looking at the bigger picture. You're trying to compare the accuracy of their look against Hollywood. That doesn't make any sense... Hollywood is all about suspended reality.

Again - take a look at my earlier comments in this thread and others on 300. Spartans wouldn't have been waxed down smooth and nubile. Ever seen a nude Greek or Persian? :p

They ain't exactly on the smooth and nubile side.

They also wouldn't have had that sort of mass. Think about it... that sort of mass comes primarily from weight room workouts to build that sort of mass... not exactly the day to day life of Spartans or extended warfare that would have required a completely different form of muscular endurance.

8. JaxMMA

First off all I know Ronnie Coleman, I've met him in person couple of times and I know he's not an amateur.
    Second I do agree with you. Spartan warriors might have not looked like that in the past. But do you know how they did look like? Any proof?
    Who would you suggest to represent spartan warriors in the movie? It's hollywood...they have to make it look good and interesting, even if it means waxing chest.
    Many of you here say this and that about 300 movie. You find all the little things you don't like, but still you all went to see it. It's a movie...take it for what it is.

My original question was about obtaining that kind of look they had in the movie...not whether they actually looked like that 2000-3000 years ago.

BTW: I've seen a nude greek girl :) And she was smooth :D

9. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

Firstly, Greek girls have hairy arms.

On the topic of 300, i think its a bit unfair on the actors to say it was all makeup, FX or whatever, because from the sounds of it they trained really hard. Just read http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php?id=35 originally posted here by Cuchulain.

Also, other than the hairlessness, im not convinced they couldn't have looked like that. If you look at artworks from that period, warriors are usually depicted along those lines. Obviously they probably all didnt look like that, but if fighting/working out is their full time job they are bound to be pretty big.

Also, bear in mind it was not just a movie, but a comic book movie, so they are bound to exaggerate.

10. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

No!

11. Hiroji

This is the only Greek body im aiming for :p

Attached Files:

12. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Knowing you, H....you'd miss!!!! :p :love:

13. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

geez...the key is photoshop... i thought everybody knew that..

14. Hiroji

Nah, shed turn me down because im too good looking for her and it would make her insecure... :p :D

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  15. Hiroji

It’s actually getting worrying that some people can no longer tell what is real and what isn’t.

16. slipthejab

Good for you.:)

I think it's not all that hard to surmise how they would have looked... between now and then humans haven't changed all that much. I think you could look around at any job today that requires a good amount of physical labor and you'd be getting pretty close to how Spartans looked.

Take your average road laborer or construction laborer... the ones we have here in Hong Kong are tough as nails... they do the dirtiest hardest jobs day in day out - the physical world is their world. They have a physicality about them that would be very similar to a professional soldier of antiquity. Soldiers of old spent a massive amount of time marching... so they're most likely going to be sinewy and have great muscular endurance.

I think your average soldier in the days of antiquity is going to look far closer to a modern day laborer (think construction/fisherman/steelworker) than it is to what's represented in the film.

No they don't... that's a cop out. That's like saying that if it were realistic that no one would go to watch it. That's a rubbish argument. I understand that it was based on a comic book (I've followed Frank Miller for many years) but I find it silly that so many people now are jumping on board and saying 'Yes that's what Spartan's actually looked like' :D

Err... so. Your point being? It'd be hard to for us to comment on us if we hadn't seen it. So your point is neither here nor there. I have no problem for taking it as a movie... but I do have a problem when people start saying that the warriors of antiquity look like muscle bound beef cake that has more in common with Calvin Klein homo-eroticism than it does with warriors of era's past.

Fair enough. Yes you could obtain that look if you spent enough time in the gym and ate and slept right.

:D

17. JaxMMA

I think we are getting to the same page :)

As you said soldiers of old spent lot of time marching which would contribute to muscle endurance. I'm sure they did some other training such as sword/spear fighting, wresteling, and bodybuilding exercises. Now, to present that in a movie, director is not going to use bunch of road workers. The point of the movie is to make the spartan warriors look tough, strong, ripped...even if they didn't actually look ripped like that during the sparta-days.

18. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Too much clothing

19. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

I've seen a nude greek girl And she was smooth

One in a million then. Most Greek girls I've met could buckle a train track.

20. JaxMMA

You were at the wrong place probably :)