3 Ways Facebook Plans to Exploit Users

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Fu_Bag, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

For all the Facebook Users out there, what do you think about this?

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/3-ways-facebook-ipo-exploit-users-172215377.html

Several people responding to the article stated they'd either already closed their account, or they were going to go do so immediately. Is Facebook really worth it?

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

It's been fairly obvious since the very beginning that this sort of thing was going on. We all know it's evil and vaguely fascist. The problem is, we can't quit!

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Nothing different to what google does and fb has been doing it for years. If you didn't know then you're a tiny bit naiive.

4. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

That's cool. Just trying to understand the reasoning behind the passion. What is it that's so attractive that outweighs the cons?

I'm definitely aware of those issues. What are your opinions on the value of Facebook with the surrounding issues on the table?

5. Southpaw535

I have no social life and facebook makes me feel like I have some sort of connection to the world instead of being a waste of resources. Nah, it makes no odds to me. I knew it was happening when I signed up and considering google does it my details are going to be sold regardless. Might as well enjoy it.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Meh. It's not like people don't have a choice. I have a Facebook page. I do almost nothing with it. But it's there. People can find me through it if they're inclined. Including advertisers. But it's still up to me to consume or not. Seems counterintuitive, though, to both value Facebook and simultaneously be shocked and offended that they'd want something in return for providing this gigantic service.

I'm not suggesting that's you, by the way. Just speaking generally.

7. Southpaw535

If they want to sell your likes and stuff that's one thing since they're publically viewable. I'm certain fb got in poop before though for selling off details that are supposed to be protected by their privacy policy. That goes deeper than wanting a return for making something popular

8. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I'm not sure we understand it ourselves. It's some kind of psychological addiction, I think.

9. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

I can see the points about them getting paid for providing a service. Personally, I don't really see the value in Facebook. There are so many forums out there that it's easy to just share your e-mail address, cell phone number, or instant messaging information with people you click with.

10. Southpaw535

The best thing I've got with it is it allows me to keep in touch with mates who are leaving to uni. We could talk over msn or something but fb allows all of us to post so it kind of keeps the group going. Also people from old schools. And old girlfriends that you can look up and then cry inside when you realise they're with some really fit bloke.

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Almost everybody I know uses Facebook. So from that point of view it's worth it. Every company that gathers your personal data and builds a profile on you does that for a reason. Selling on personal information to advertisers is nothing new. So Facebook are really just following an already established business model.

Where Facebook begins to annoy me is all the messing about and tweaking they do to security and privacy settings. Not to mention the layout. I am at a point now where I prefer to use Google+ rather than Facebook. Almost none of my friends or family use Google+. But there's more content there that I'm interested in. And that's what really matters to me. I get what I want.

If you want to keep something privet. Keep it off-line.

12. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Incidentally Facebook are now going to include adds in their smartphone apps.

13. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I'm not worried, if there is one thing the EU has down to an art, it's smacking down companies that cross the privacy line.

14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Person created something that people/society believes they need. An item that they like and has now made gazillions out of it.

Fair play. In the end we dont have to use FB. Everyone can leave out of their own freewill.

15. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Otr laugh because they dumped you for a social loser. Karma! :hat:

as for Fb, Don't care. I know its become like a business as well as a connect with peeps site. Meh.

16. Southpaw535

The girls I like won't pick the social loser that's the problem :p

17. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I guess I must have missed the part where people actually payed for Facebook or were forced to use it. :confused:

18. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

You could buy shares and make some of the money back that they never really took from you in the first place.

19. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Exactly - I use fb a lot, virtually every day - but my wife does not even have an account - it's called personal choice.

Besides fb is big enough now that bitching about it is C00L - SIGH !!!