3 sectional staff talk..

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Hapkido Student, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Hapkido Student

Hapkido Student New Member

Ok well i just ordered a 3 sectional staff and from what I've seen in video's it doesn't look easy at all. Not even close to easy. I am very dedicated when it come's to weapon's. I decided to get a nice martial art's weapon that will be very difficult to learn. I like the challenge and I do not give up easily. My question is, for people who have trained with the 3 sectional staff....please rate the difficulty of it ....1-10...10 is being the hardest. Please explain why. Thanks to all in advance. Also would anyone mind sharing some past expirience's with me...Or even if anyone could get me a link to a video or a good website showing technique''s ....Thank you all in advance. I also purchased the tonfa. If anyone here has any information or past expirience with it, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

8 if you have no grasp on staff fundamentals or flexible weapons experience.
    6 if you do.

http://www.wushucentral.com/ has a good deal of videos of top atheletes going off with them among other things.

My best advice to you is this. whenever you are in a reverse backspin in front of your body, keep your elbows close together and your hips turned to make yourself a lower profile when learning to spin it.. . Trust me on this. I've made the mistake of not doing that twice, and on both occasions the bottom section smacked my left thigh, and the other section came out of its proper motion and *SMACK* right on the crown of my noggin. Needless to say I was a bit stunned for a good minute or two, then went back to it. Mine is burned rattan.. Whats yours made of?

I can't do the "helicopter" motion above my head, then bend over and pass it over my back.. for some reason I can't grasp the motion effectively. And I'm very experienced with anything flexible so I'm a bit roadblocked with it.

My best advice is this. 3 Sectional is a school of hard knocks. Much respect is required to use in a forms or sparring usage. But for having what some people describe as "Nuclear Numbchucks" ... It makes for a neat party trick :)

3. Hapkido Student

Excellent reply. Thanks. I really appreciate it. I ordered two pair's, one for training (Foam), and the other for when im more expirienced (burned rattan) Nice. Here's another website i think everyone should check out. P.S scroll all the way to the bottom for the video's. http://www.canadashaolin.com/video.asp . You should check that out. So far I have no expirience with the bo staff. I have almost mastered the nunchaku's. So I might have a wee better luck then if i had no expirience. Once I get going with the 3 sectional I'll post my expirience's. That's another reason I want to master it, Because it's very highly respected as an art form. It's in my opinion (one) of the hardest martial art's weapon's to master, But once mastered you're virtually unstopable. :). Nice reply. Thanks for posting your exprience's, web site information, opinion, technique advice. Thank you.

4. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Hi, HS, study 3 sectional in praying mantis.

Start slow, basic handling drills and strikes. Next do the line drills. Then get a form down. Pratice everything slowly at first (harder with 3 sectional), then speed it up. As stated, flexible weapons can bite you (but so can all weapons).

Live with the weapon. If you truly want to know a weapon, carry it about with you, let it become part of you.

If you live where this is illegal, then carry it around the home. Doing laundry, working in the yard, making dinner, what have you.

Have patience, you'll do great!

5. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

In all seriousness, if this is not a padded trainer, get a helmet. Especially if you you don't have the experience the others have listed. It's a beautiful and punishing weapon. And in most cases, the most effective use of it is to hand it to your opponent to try and use.

- Matt

6. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

speaking from experience also get shin pads and a cup. trust me, groin protection is your friend when using one of these, padded or not!

7. Hapkido Student

:)

Nice.. Thanks Man i really appreciate it. I will do everything you said. BaiKaiGuy...Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeee....I'll order some of those right now. I've noticed with my Nunchaku that once you lose them behidn you, or you hesitate on a move. WATCH OUT!!!! lol I've been smacked so many time's with those...I started off with the foam than a while later went to wood and now I am at metal. I made one mistake with it and I almost broke my elbow. BaiKaiGuy thanks man i will really invest in some. Thanks to all of you who have posted I appreciate it. Im going to get a helmet as well like Matt stated. :-D...Nice how you said it's easier to hand it to your opponent and let them try to use it..I like that lol.

8. Hapkido Student

Thanks man I just looked up the mantis style and Im going to train in that style. It'll take alot of hard work but I love hard work It keep's me going.
    Thanks for the encouragement..When you said have patience, you'll do great. I appreciate it. And as you said, carry it everywere, that's what i do with all my weapon's lol. I carry them outside to the park everywere(unless illegal of course) I made a terrible mistake one day when i first got my nunchaku...I walked outside and i swung them around for a little bit....Not to long later a police officer approached me and told me to take it in the house( Thank god I knew this officer or i could of been facing 1 year in jail) I appreciate it that the officer was nice enough to warn me about this. Ever since then, I always trained IN my house..lol So I do reccomend finding out your local law's before purchasing and or taking your weapon's outside. By the way..What was amazing is that he busted out a few trick's with the nunchaku as well ( he was excellent with them)...Once again thanks everyone and I am patiently waiting to hear more stories. :)

9. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Three Section Staff and Tonfa.... a man after my own heart. Those two are definitely my favorite to work with (and very good for showing off and impressing your friends).
    Another good drill for training, have a friend take up another weapon (or just his empty hands) and just play around with different modes of attack and defense. See strikes and blocks are effective, ways the weapon can be used for locking and disarming... think of it as field-research with your weapn. Essentially, create your own (crude) two person sparring sets.

10. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

If you've never used it before I'd recommend getting one of those with foam padding. When you first start you will inevitably hit yourself many times.

11. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

I would disagree on the simple fact if he starts out with rattan, its not as painful as say.. Hardwood or those aluminum 3 sect/staff conversion bo. And I always found that getting hit shows you what NOT to do... but I'm a bit bullheaded when it comes to training.

12. Hapkido Student

Niceeee. Thanks man I appreciate it. Hmm that's what I plan to do with my friend. He has a bokken. Im going to spar with him in no contact and practice my tonfa and 3 sectional technique's. And onyomi I do have the foam padded one to train with.( Every time i get hit with it I stop and think about what I did wrong and how serious that injury would have been if it was real.)i Take the foam training seriously like it would be real :) Thanks for everyone's input I appreciate it. TheDarkJester You have a very good point as well. It would be very helpfull to train with the rattan one because it give's you some weight. An example of this is when i went from foam to wood then to metal nunchaku ( there was a HUGE weight difference) It effected everything to a certain degree but not to severe.) The weight also build'd up your wrist muscle's to help you when you progress. Thanks again for the input everyone I REALLY appreciate it.When I get it (hopefully it come's tomorow )I'll post some first day training video with it. Then I'll post some expirienced useage with it. That's what I did with my nunchaku. Im going to make the dvd and upload it pretty soon :)