3 section staff

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Ncon, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Ncon

Ncon New Member

I'm about to buy a 3 section staff, but I wanted some opinions from anyone who currently uses one. I've heard that sectional weapons are a bit more difficult to learn, compared with other weapons like swords and Bo staffs I mean. So, the question is, would it be better to start off training with a straight Bo, or should I just begin training with the 3 sectional?

2. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Just start out with a soft one ;)

Cause you will get wacked in the back of the head at some point.

Do you have any experience with weapons?

Do you have a weapons instructor?

If either or both of those questions gets answered "no" I suggest you fix that first.

3. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

I have good experience with nunchaku and 6' staff, and I have been unable to use the 3 sectional staff effevtively on the occasions I have tried. You are much better off finding an insructor who can teach you what to do with it.

4. PantherFist

PantherFist Valued Member

If I was you I would first get very competent with the 6 foot staff first, learn all the different spins and twrils etc. These spins and twrils can then be taken across to the 3 sectional staff which are basicly the same if the 3 section staff is used at high speed.

I would also highly recommend a helmet and shin gaurds as accidents will occur. You should also think about getting your hands on a foam or padded 3 sectional staff before going onto the real thing.