3 Section Staff: Fact or Fiction?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by LightingSais, Feb 19, 2006.

1. LightingSais

LightingSais New Member

my friend just recently bought a 3 section staff and i am not sure but it does not seem to be a real weapon. he does nunchuka and manriki gusari and he was looking for a new flexible weapon. i tried it and it seems like its as useful as a bladed sai. anyone know for sure if this is a real weapon or not?

2. Zevi

Zevi Valued Member

Yes... it is, it's found in several chinese systems but is rather difficult to pick up and use.
    It's impracticle and ridiculously difficult to use, but it is real. Sigh... those silly chinese...
    Also, a three section nunchaku can be found in okinawan arts, possibly a descendent of the chinese weaopon.

3. tellner

tellner Valued Member

My father's old Ju Jutsu teacher had a weapon he picked up in or after WWII. He said it was Chinese. It consisted of three ~12 inch rods connected by a couple links of chain with a steel **** on one end and a leather hand-loop on the other. Nasty thing.

4. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Pfft.. for someone that does boxing and TKD I can see that.

Honestly.. how is it impractical? Its traditionally 7'2... Folds into 1/3 its normal size. You can use the end sections much in the same way you would escrima sticks. The middle section makes for a great blocking section. if you hold the middle section and know how to use your waist, both sections can parry/block and strike in the same rotation, then snap back and bring them back across your opponent into a waiting stance.. Or, you hold one section by the end and lash it about using its full length, or you can grab the center section along with it and parry with the short stick hand and lash with the free end. Think about it.. Its a flexible oversized staff. Yeah.. those silly chinese.. They only had a specialized battlefield weapon for just about every need imaginable. :rolleyes:

Oh.. and you can utilize some very nice trapping techniques with it as well. Try that with nunchaku.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  5. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

I think it's a cool weapon, but as others said it looks extremely difficult to handle.

6. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Yes, it is a real weapon. It's used in both Chinese and a few Japanese systems, IIRC. Although difficult to use, it is a real weapon which has been used in MA for a while.

7. Zevi

Zevi Valued Member

Yes...it does several jobs, but it does none of those jobs as well as the tools that are actualy used to do those jobs.
    I can most certainly use this fork to eat soup... but I'd rather use a spoon.

Also... battle field weapon? To use this weapon in large scale combat would be the fall of any army.

8. SimonM

SimonM New Member

The three section staff is a real weapon. It's also very difficult to learn. I know because I got a basic tutorial in it's usage once at NBDMA and ended up with black and blue knuckles.

9. TheDarkJester

Go back, and read my post again. Then, once again for good measure. apparently your reading skills need a touch up :)

10. Zevi

Zevi Valued Member

Darn't... you're right... I didn't find a thing about soup in your post ._.
    My read-fu is teh suxxor.

11. TheDarkJester

You're forgiven. This time. Now go to your room and think about what I've done!

12. warakawa

warakawa New Member

for those who doubt the weapon, you should go and watch jet li's shaolin temple!!!

13. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

because a movie is accurate representation of a weapon, or any MA's effectiveness? :rolleyes:

14. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

If you can find the film The Scorpion King there's a very nice sequence with a 3 section staff in it.

15. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

TheDarkJester - nice write-up on application techniques, I'm checking how much I can do :D

For LightingSais - at least your thread title got less laughter and mockery than:

:D :D :D

Might be some nice follow-on reading from your own thread ;)

16. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

you silly rabbits - trix are for kids

everyone knows the three sectional staff is the original Chinese pimp cane.

:p

17. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

3 section staff looks removed mad
    watch Jet Li's fearless, good fight scene with that in it

and yes of course it's a real weapon...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2006
  18. Shien

Shien New Member

The three sectional staff is sure a real weapon...
    and the most difficult weapon that I had even seen ... hahaha

19. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

20. Face Block

Face Block New Member

nice video of the three sectioned staff
    I have sant-setsku kon nunchaku its a lot shorter than the three sectioned staff and I know from swinging them around for a bit that you should learn the some kind of staff first as it wont swing around and hit you in the face. :)

Is it a real weapon? Thanks for that I needed a good laugh.