3 Knockdwn Rule

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Simon, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Really? The philly shell defense is based on using the shoulder to block. With gloves or without, it's pretty hard to hurt somebody's shoulder by punching it. Peeak a boo is about being a hard target more than blocking with the hands.

2. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Yeah, in BKB the arms are valid targets. BKB matches were usually long, arms and shoulders are soft targets and after 40 or 50 minutes of being punched in the shoulder or forearms you will be in bad shape. Think leg kicks in MT.

Look at the boxing stances used in the old BKB books. It wasn't because they weren't smart enough to figure out modern stances, it was because they worked best.

The primary targets in BKB were the solar plexus and the nose.

3. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Either way... good luck ever getting that accepted in today's sports... everything has to be PC now.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

They shouldn't have a "style" of refereeing, all rules should be done with equal amounts of conviction, and not neglected at the whim of the official. I understand that they can decide things like how long a clinch can go on for, but that should be the extent of they're power. The fact that a referee has to be agreed on from both parties I find ridiculous, and a referee can't be ofte same nationality as the boxers? Seriously?

5. Saved_in_Blood

Dude, I'm totally with you on this... the fact is that some refs will give some fighters more time before calling a fight... some of them let fouls go with just a little warning and no points taken, etc. etc. I agree it is absolutely ridiculous. That's just the way it is though.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I think it needs an overhaul :p

7. Saved_in_Blood

To be fair to MMA, their refs are much more on top of the condition of the fighters than a lot of boxing refs. Then again, how much of that has to do with corruption, being to old, or overall just incompetent. I would rather see an early stoppage than one that is to late of course.

and yes... overall I think a lot of things in boxing need a major overhaul.

8. puma

puma Valued Member

I think MMA is a bit simpler to stop than boxing. Obviously they can tap out, but if a guy is on the floor getting his head punched in and he can't fight back, then it is fairly obvious what the ref should do. The gloves are smaller too. Boxing is harder to tell sometimes.

9. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

maybe 3 8-counts = TKO.

Or if the fighter is back on his feet within couple of seconds, then it's not classed as a knockdown, this should allow some room for loss of balance etc.

10. Saved_in_Blood

I believe all of them are standing 8 counts now unless it's counted as a slip.

11. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

So if the boxer slips, and decides to take a breather and take a standing 8, then that should be counted as a knockdown under a 3 knockdown rule.

If the fighter slips, there's no issue getting straight back up and continuing, meaning that the 3 knockdown rule isn't being affected by being hit when off balance etc?

12. Saved_in_Blood

well, if you slip, but get hit it is up to the referee to decide if that punch contributed to the fighter going down, he may call it a knockdown and he may not. If he/she just happens to slip then the ref usually just makes sure that he didn't incur any sort of leg, knee, etc injury during a fall and may ask are you ok... in which case if he/she is then he just resumes the fight. I am guessing that is what you were asking?