3 Knockdwn Rule

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Simon, Jun 8, 2014.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Ha! I've done the same. Years ago when a friend bought an illegal gypsy BKB DVD from eBay.

My favourite signature move was "chuck him in the hedge", something you just can't do in the Octagon :p

There are some loooong old fights in the BKB scene. After the first minute or two their hands hurt so much they're reluctant to throw hard shots at the head, in the ones I've seen.

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Well hell, I want to see palm boxing then. :p

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I wasn't trying to attack you, I was saying that I wasn't sure what point you were trying to make and was having to guess.
    Again, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make by posting that?

Are you saying that the 3 knockdown rule isn't a thing? Are you saying that the Referee stopping the contest due to a fighter being outclassed isn't a thing?

If I'm being an idiot, show me why. Teach me something if I'm wrong.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You've seen "Knuckle" I assume? great movie!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flEgKSvlGWk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flEgKSvlGWk[/ame]

I also own a rather grainy copy of "Bare Fist The Sport that would not die" narrated by Geoff T and "The Guvnor"

5. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

watched it one night on Netflix... it was entertaining, but a sad undertone.. quite sad actually as it became (much like today's boxing) more about money and pride rather than just 2 guys who could have it out and then be fine with each other afterward. I also found it interesting that no matter how many fights these families had... nothing was ever settled.

6. Hannibal

The Travelling community is one that has many, many layers of family feuds and criminality throughout it...it would be like the WWE if it weren't so tragic and unpleasant

7. Saved_in_Blood

I'm posting the rules because you seem to not know them. Boxing is one of those sports where there are a few set rules that each ref will enforce. The problem is that it depends on the ref as to how much of other rules he/she will allow. With as much boxing as I have watched which are hundreds of fights I do not recall many where in 3 knockdowns in a round where they have stopped the fight. Refs are picked often times based on their having been the third man in the ring for said fighter often. If not, they are brought up to speed on how a particular fighter fights... this guy may be tough, but needs to be saved from himself, this guy is slick, but tends to bend the rules, etc. Therefore you see many times the same ref in certain boxers fights. I'm quite sure that the ref in the case of Saturday night was well aware that one fighter was not known for having great balance, but was not often hurt to the point where he needed to be watched closely... which was what I saw and I've followed both guys over the course of several years.

Now, on the rule area, the 3 knockdown rule really is a joke either way. If the ref sees a guy in trouble, unable to defend himself... or just out on his feet, that ref should stop that fight IMMEDIATELY no matter what the circumstances are or if it's 1 knockdown or 10. If the ref doesn't have enough sense to step in, he shouldn't even be a ref to begin with. That's how guys wind up permanently damaged.

8. Saved_in_Blood

I was always told that my family history was of Welsh/English decent some Irish on my Father's side as well. My cousin claims we are Scotts Irish... but I'm not very good with all of that stuff so I have no idea to be quite honest. Maybe I should be feuding with someone? I feel left out.

9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Irish =/= Traveller. It's a mistake you'll only make once.

10. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

They fight bare knuckle in Burma. :)

My mate plans to go out and fight over there when he's had his knee surgery. Crazy guy asked me if I wanted to go too. :D

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

lol, sorry. Didn't realise I came off sounding like a jackass til I read my own words back to myself. :)

12. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Lol, you didn't at all. I was just pack peddling a bit just in case I came off as an ass.

Anyways.

. . . . 'Merikuh.

13. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

You know when you add your sig to that post, crisco crisco, it comes very close to violating the TOS you greasy palm boxer. :)

14. Saved_in_Blood

bareknuckle fighting was seen as assault and that is supposedly why it was done away with since there were so many more facial injuries, hand injuries, etc. However... the gloves are good and bad in that they protect the hands, but the fighter does take more punishment.

Thinking about it now from strictly a fans point of view, I could see why it would be less interesting. Fights would be over a lot faster, or could be at least. That would take away from the drama, and no one is going to pay 65.00 for a fight that lasts 1 round or less.

15. Saved_in_Blood

You know... I'd rather go back to arguing with holy instead of seeing where this conversation might lead.

16. Hannibal

BKB fights last a lot longer actually

17. Saved_in_Blood

Fights don't last long with 4 oz gloves. Do you think it's because guys are more tentative to throw?

18. Hannibal

Yes that's always been my take - unless someone lands "flush" early it is rare to see a clean KO.

The punching style is slightly different too with the front hand probing or "pawing" far more so the bigger punches can land safer

19. Saved_in_Blood

I would also imagine that the added size of the glove that of course it would land harder more that's hitting you.

I ask myself many times in street defense if my knuckles would hold up. Broke my right hand pinky knuckle years ago, but it's weak and swells even hitting a heavy bag through my gloves.

20. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Don't forget that with gloves you are basically wearing shields on your hands. Look at current boxing covers, they depend on the gloves for protection. They also depend on the fact that the other guy is throwing with big puffy gloves on as well making it easier for the cover to work.

I really couldn't see someone using a peek a boo or philly shell in BKB.