2nd interclub videos (with liver kick!)

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Southpaw535, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

So some of you may (although hopefully don't) remember this thread

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112950

from my first K1 interclub and the butt kicking it contained. I took part in my second one today and as usual with my comps I wanted to share it with the MAP crowd and get some critique, as well as show people that its ok to post up videos of you training where you're not the next Bruce Lee and you lose. MAP won't flame you for it.

Anyway, I haven't watched them yet because I'm typing this while they upload to save time, but from what I remember it was an improvement over the last one. I actually landed a couple jabs this time! My coach was happy I'd improved and even the mma coach took the time to say it was good. I tried to clinch more this time since as a grappler I'm a lot more comfortable there and it kinda worked. Sort of. In my head I did say I was going to use more headwork, feints and circling but none of those things happened. I did get told off by my cornerman and my coach (who was reffing so couldn't give me loads of advice) because I still have some issue with throwing combos at someone's face. I prefer to have thme hit me first for some reason. I don't feel so bad I guess :p

The only excuse I will make for these is that I trained a grand total of two sessions in the space between the last interclub and this one, and I had a private last week trying to deal with striking defence and slipping and whatnot. The foot injury I picked up in the last one only really healed, and its still not 100%, a couple weeks ago and I couldn't kick or move around on it so I couldn't make the classes. Sucks, but it is what it is and although I mention it as an excuse for not improving as much as I could have in the last few months, it didn't cause me any problems today and I'm not going to blame everything on that.

The 3 big things I remember is the guy kneeing my very hard in the clinch, getting front kicked in the jaw and almost being sent through the ropes, and taking what I'm told was a spinning back kick to the liver. That really hurt and a mate told me he pulled it at the last second too so credit to that guy. Extra credit to him, he had another fight before I left that was at a higher contact level and those two went to war. I saw his opponent after and half of his face was swollen to hell around his eye. Lovely bloke though he was very respectful afterwards which was nice.

Anyway, videos! Oh, you'll also have to listen to my mum and step dad. Sorry about that.

edit: Forgot to add I'm the sexy, sexy beast in the black and yellow shorts with blue gloves

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFhuprMCoAw&feature=youtube"]K1 Interclub 2 Round 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkpDDqGXMyA&feature=youtube"]K1 Interclub 2 Round 2 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBDjeGAYYPI&feature=youtube"]K1 Interclub 2 Round 3 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

You need a holiday in north Wales lefty.

3. Southpaw535

That I do

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

You're a LOT calmer then in the first video! You looked more comfortable/composed taking shots while defending and when you got hit, especially in the start.

A big thing I noticed is you're being chased down the majority of time in the 2nd and 3rd video. There isn't anything wrong with that if you're trying to build your style around working the person while moving but you would benefit by taking it to them a little harder every once in a while. Counter punching and throwing a quick combo when you're being attacked will also be beneficial.

Overall you have a significant amount of improvement from the first video. That's what matters most!

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Was there a level of contact? Like, medium level contact? And do they hook you up with somebody with releent experience? I've never been to an interclub, so I dunno how it works. If you could invite me to the next one though, I'd love to go! Just give me like, two months warning!

6. Southpaw535

Thanks mate. That's something that still bugs me. Since I wasn't quite so bad in the first I wonder if it was just because I was tired going into the second and third.

There were 5 levels ranging from "first interclub" to "I'm a fighter" basically. Mine was a level 1/2 because I did an interclub before, so should be level 3, but because it was so bad I asked to be kept at level 2 and my instructor agreed it was the best choice. At level 1 you're having more of a light spar. Gareth let us go a bit harder at times because both were comfortable with it but once he started backing me up and landing a lot of hits he'd tell him to bring it back down. At level 5 if you both start trying to knock each other out he'll step back and let you go.

There is a sub grappling interclub on the 24th next month if you or any of your guys could get down for it. Its mma too but I'm not sure the guy running it would be willing to match you. He's pretty strict with who he lets into it.

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Sounds like fun, is there a charge?

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

dat liver kick :D

i agree with what ero said, too. only comment i have is that if you DO base your style about moving around, try to pull a machida and learn to move out of your opponent's attack range. moving away from an opponent while still being inside his kicking range is not particularly a good idea, so either stay and learn to get stuff done there or get out and then dart back in.

9. Southpaw535

10 pounds. 15 if you pay on the day because so many people book then pull out and screw with matchmaking. There's a link on facebook I'll send you if you're interested

10. Southpaw535

I was told in my private to picture a circle drawn with my opponents kicking reach and to either get in or outside that circle. I forgot all about that and stayed right on it :p

I like the idea of staying outside but the effort required to jump in, strike and then jump out of range is a bit much for my current fitness level

11. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

yeah, it's annoying as hell. i've spent most of my MA training time secretly wanting to do bad things to people who tell me to dart in and out of attack range, because there's always a sometimes appallingly large span of time when i'm not in attack range but my opponent is, and i have to pass through that both when disengaging and when going back in. but learning to exit does keep your face un-punched and your liver un-kicked for a little extra while until you figure out how to work the infighting.

12. Ero-Sennin

This sounds a little weird to me for it to be taught as a "fight this way" piece of advice. What you're describing is a specific style of fighting that involves a high level of fitness, quick striking, and a lot of moving around. It's common to see in people who usually have the reach advantage in a fight.

Although I don't process a "circle" for striking range it sounds like a decent way to explain the subject. You don't have to dart in and out constantly to make use of it. A good way to regain stamina in the ring is move back, just out of striking range and RELAX. Put your arms down, shake them loose. There is no reason keeping a full guard (which is taxing as the round goes on) if your opponent is too far away to hit you. Whenever you are in striking range your guard should be up. If it's not, then it should be part of a plan to bait your opponent for a counter. Being able to gauge distance and knowing when to relax and when to defend is extremely important to regain stamina and set up different counters and attacks so I wouldn't write it off because you don't feel you're fit enough. However, if you don't plan on being an "in and out" fighter I would start trying to adapt this "circle" thing to the style you want to develop and figure out the best time to do it/not do it.

I wrote about this a bit in my "Boxing Journey" thread in post #23. While it is about boxing, the tactics involved is certainly applicable to other combative sports as well.http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113882&page=2

13. Southpaw535

It wasn't a definite "you need to fight like this" piece of advice. We only had an hour and I asked to be helped with my defence so he went through about 4 different ways of dealing with strikes (jumping in and out, leaning/slipping, taking the hit and blocking, and closing in to clinch) that was just the one I remembered best.

I dropped my hands when I thought I was out of range and took a front kick to the face for my troubles :p No seriously, thanks for the advice and the thread link. Lots to work on this week!

14. Ero-Sennin

I'm sure there is a totally different way of thinking about and applying the method when kicks are involved. I'm not really qualified to give any advice on kicks, but "staying aware" and "move out of the way when you see it coming" definitely comes to mind :p. It's all a lot easier said then done though! You still showed a lot of improvement from the first vid. to this one which is great. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it and will be telling me the best methods to deal with kicks soon enough.

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I think all the advice on range is really sound, you just need experience to understand it better. I wouldn't want to say much more as it's not a ruleset I'm experienced in.

A general point is to try and avoid dropping your hands to his kicks. A quick opponent will be in and punching in that second when your hands drop, and you're not going to take much of the sting out of a good kick with them anyway. I don't think you were trying to catch/redirect? Looked more like a reflex reaction and one I've paid for many times :D

Props for posting SP and you do look a lot more comfortable.

Mitch

16. hext

hext Valued Member

thanks for the post Southpaw..

as you said in the OP, an improvement on the first match (so a victory none the less)