2nd Dan

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by incubus, Dec 18, 2013.

1. incubus

incubus Valued Member

I have attained my black belt some years back and am now interested in getting my 2nd dan. What is normally expected from students to sit for a 2nd dan exam?

Is it like a normal grading?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Doesn't your club have a syllabus to work from?

3. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

"Dan" is for Japanese systems, isnt it?

Anyway, this is wholly dependent on your style (which you don’t mention), your organisation and your teacher/instructor. You should probably be asking them. ;)

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

What style of Kung fu is it?

5. incubus

incubus Valued Member

Dragon Kung fu.

am in a weird position where have no communication with my instructor ...!

So am trying to see whether it is possible to attain this in any other way

6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

if you have no communication with him, how do you learn the style?

and is that northern or southern dragon?

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Google Ashida Kim, he'll sort you out. :)

8. thauma

thauma Valued Member

Hmm, you train in a style, so isn't it up to the grown-ups in that style to nominate you, and then the process begins according to your style...... grading, written paper, or let you print your own from the internet.

From my perspective, if it isn't awarded due to recognition of your abilities and contribution to the organisation / style / association etc then it is worthless. The specifics are obviously local to your particular MA.

9. ned

ned Valued Member

Have you had a lay off from training and no longer train in the same school?
    Dont expect any other school to necessarily recognise your grade,better to
    "empty your cup",especially if its a different style,and prove your worth first.
    Edit.I notice in your other thread(grading dilemma) you mention katas which is a bit confusing ?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Was it Shaolin-Do that used Japanese terminology but referred to itself as kung fu? Or are there other styles doing that?

I don't really understand how you could be preparing for a grading without being in communication with your instructor. When was the last time you met, face-to-face, with your teacher?

11. incubus

incubus Valued Member

So,let me explain. I have opened another club in another part of the country and teaching same style, but club is run solely by myself.

That is the situation. I follow the same syllabus, but due to personal commitments in the past I could not increase my personal training.Now am in a position to go for the next step..... that is why I am asking this

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Then it has to be throught your teacher (or his teacher alternatively)

I have never heard of your style, and 2nd Dan is - as has already been pointed out - not a rank in any legit kung fu school.

13. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Sorry, but if you can't continue your personal training, you aren't advancing or in a position for the next step.

You have to continue to train to advance. My Sifu is one of the most advance level practioners in our worldwide federation. He achieved maximum rank in our organization a few years ago. He STILL goes up for review in front of our Grandmaster periodically. And- he still personally advances his training under his teacher.

If you are a degree in an organization, you need your higher ranking people to advance you. Otherwise it has no value.