26 Styles???

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by tel, Nov 4, 2006.

1. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

so all your ranting is from ....... reading and not actual experience?
    BS like what your spouting is what gives jkd a bad rap

2. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

You act like you know him, when in reality it seems like you have just read his books. Your age says 20 years old, which can only mean your experience goes so far. I don't actually really get what the point of your posts are though, it just seems like rambling and Bruce worshipping to me. What are you actually getting at?

Bruce Lee was not an invincible god, and Dan Inosanto is one of the planets best MA instructors who, as someone else mentioned, teaches Jun Fan separately from other arts/styles. Many people agree that if Bruce Lee was alive today, JKD would be very similar to MMA. This is why Dan Inosanto teaches like he does, but he also teaches classic Jun Fan.

When you have been in a few fights, you will realise that there is no best fighting system based on science, as fighting is not a strictly scientific thing. You seem to have missed the whole point of the Tao of JKD, and that is to develop a good, efficient base and evolve from there.

3. Rmatic09

Rmatic09 New Member

Not BS, just facts.

4. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

sorry, but most things you have said are not fact!! ted wong is jkd, ted trained with bruce more than anyone. i have spoken to a ojkd instructor who was THERE!! and he said that ted was nothing more than a pad holder. his words

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  5. Tim McFatridge

Tim McFatridge Valued Member

Rmatic, I will try to paragraph this time. Some times I get going and do not pay attention to how I am writing.

Thats thing Rmatic, Dan was still training with Bruce at the time of his death. Ted was not the only person training with him. What about Taky Kimura, James Lee and Dan Inosanto? They were all three running his three different schools and teaching most of the classes for Bruce. Bruce would stop by and would show them some "new" material he had been working on and would train it with them.

I think most people do understand the differences between "OJKD" and "JKDC", I also believe that many people like you do not accept the differences. If you are from the "JKDC" (I personally dislike these terms) camp and you have a instructor that is worth his weight then will have a very clear and firm understanding of Jun Fan. You can not understand the philosophies (concepts) without first knowing and understanding the Jun Fan.

Dan does not claim trapping to be the core of JKD. He teaches economy of motion, footwork to evade and bridge the gap and efficiency in fighting. He still teaches the five ways of attack...
    1. ABC
    2. ABD
    3. SDA
    4. PIA
    5. HIA

You are correct "Many people who trained with Bruce took pieces of what he taught." Then why do you seem to think that Ted Wong has all the answers? He simply has a piece of the JKD puzzle. This is why I encourage people to train with all the Original Bruce Lee students they can while they can.

I am 36 and do not do flying sidekicks- so I would not expect anyone else to do them either that is my age or older anyways.

Please stop using the terms "Original" and "Concepts" as this only fuels the fire of confusion that is out there and helps create more politics.

Are you saying that Bruce Lee never studied, researched or trained in Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu, Judo, Boxing or any other arts like that? If so then yo uare wrong. He did research Muay Thai and liked how they used the knees and elbows but thought their kicks were to telegraphed. He did train with Judo Gene LeBell and added some of his material to JKD. He also trained with Professor Wally Jay and added some small circle Jiu Jitsu to JKD as well.

Don't worry about calling it a style I know what you mean. After all JKD was recognized as a new style created by Bruce Lee by the World Black Belt Hall of Fame back in the 1970's.

Flowing is essential to JKD and it is great to have that ability to flow in and out of ranges.

My only advice to you Rmatic is that in the future when you come in here and post to try and be conscious of your attitude and the way your post come across.

After all we are all brothers....if you do JKD then you are my brother and we should treat each other like that.

Peace my brothers

6. Rmatic09

Rmatic09 New Member

Well said,and points taken. I may have come across rather .....blunt, it's frustrating to say the least when alot of posters have no knowledge on the facts or history of Bruce Lee. Some may say I have no knowledge on here, while I would disagree, it would be a pointless battle.

Bruce's death was a tragedy to say the least, and has left thousands rather lost while they interpret his teachings as they see fit. I just feel that Bruce had a plan, and a set foundation right before his death and many Concept camps have lost sight of them;They have strayed off this path, to teach what they consider to be "JKD", where as I disagree with alot of what they pass off as Bruce's teachings.

And Tel, to say that Ted Wong was nothing more than a pad holder truly demonstrates your ignorance. I'm sure Bruce would have disagreed. But I digress, i would have loved to be nothing more than a pad holder for Bruce, as working directly with a genius 1 on 1, there is no greater learning experience than that.

7. tel

my ignorance? as i said that come from a 1st generation student who was there, his words not mine.
    whatever you knowledge on this subject half the stuff you have written is wrong

8. Rmatic09

Rmatic09 New Member

If you say so.

9. tel

thats what he told me, hey i wasn't there, just passinf on what he said.
    i don't really care if you like ted wong. i think there are people better, but thats my view, so does it matter?

10. ophiucus

ophiucus Guest

Hi there, I guess the politics of JKD is never going to go away.
    I've trained in both OJKD and JKDC.

For me, the differnence was that in the JKDC school, progression took a lot longer e.g. training the attributes and incorporated a lot of techniques which instead of simplyfying the learnng process, all they did was give people a million useless tools that none of them were proficient in - the exact opposite of what Bruce wanted whether we are talking about JKDC or not.

In the OJKD school (2nd gen instructor) we were taught that Bruce Lee's personal fighting system (we don't generally use terminology so much at our school) consisted primarily of two arts - western boxing and fencing with a bit of modified wing chun thrown in. The question of whether u need to learn wing chun or not as a base system was answered clearly by my instructor who simply says that you do not - you only need to learn JKD.

We did a little bit of Judo, and am told that Bruce included a little bit of Judo in his JKD.

However, what I am told from 1st generation is that Bruce wasn't doing trapping with his student's near the end - reportedly he took his best student's who were good enough to do evasions into his back garden and practiced evasions and attacks. He wasn't doing any trapping with these students.

My instructor has told me that trapping can be made to work, but it isn't the most EFFICIENT way to fight. I fully agree with this, because JKD is supposed to be CLINICAL and trapping isn't exactly clinical in a real street fight.

The simplest way to apply JKD is to simply hit without trapping, or even to evade and hit at the same time - there's no fancy complications and once you have the structure then you can add your own stuff to it, but if student's can't even get the basic tools to work out on the street then adding more techniuqes isn't going to help them is it?

11. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

bruce lee did'nt trap because he did'nt have to, when he attacked it was so fast that there was'nt anything to trap, so he just hit. your ultimate goal is to be able to do that but how many have the attributes he had? hell yes if you can hit without trapping then hit but learning the basics gives you somwhere to progress from.

12. ophiucus

ophiucus Guest

Yes, I can relate to what you are getting at. The fact is that that using evasions and just hitting straight thru without doing any trapping is extremely difficult to do - I'm pretty amateur at it, but Im pretty sure if you practive every day then you'll get better.

Yes, my instructor has actually said that he does consider that trapping can be made to work - he firmly believes this, although he makes it clear that he doesn't think it is particularly efficienct.

On the other hand Ted Wong, according to my instructor doesn't believe in trapping full stop. Apparently the only reason Ted Teaches trapping is for 'traditional' reasons or for general interest.

13. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

i agree with you totally with if you can evade/slip and hit simutaneously great.in an altercation one may never even trap but knowing the basics will help with obstructions. my understanding is that a trap is just a way of removing anything that comes in your path of attack, trap-hit,hit,hit

14. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Gary..... :D There is a hit before and after every trap.....trapping is the bi-prodcut of hitting.......The trap is secondary, while the hit is primary.... :)

It just blows my mind how everyone's an expert in JKD and this isn't toward you Gary.... :)

15. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

Simplicity sir,
    say you throw a jab,it's blocked, then trap/hit, would'nt that be trap/hit not hit/trap/hit?

thanks in advance

16. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Wasn't you trying to hit first, before they tried to block it?......If so, then its a hit-trap-hit......Also, when you develop your energy training to a high skill level, you'll dissovle their block in the first place and your hand will not even be their for them to block because it will be hitting......something to think about...Well thats what I leanred from a lot of the JKD Elders (1st Generation) and in my own research.

If you can make it up from Ohio sometime, you are welcome, I could show you "How I Be IT"... :)

John McNabney

17. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Then where did the kicks come from?

18. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Most likely from Kali.

19. tel

no, they come from chinese arts, mostly from the north, northern style kicks where simply, mostly stomach down, southern kicks tended to be flashier,it seems to me, he left them kicks to his movies.

20. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

sir,
    thanks for the clearification.
    hopefully, someday this summer