24hrs rest.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by FortuneFaded, Jan 27, 2005.

1. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

I realise a person needs to rest after working out specially when doing resistance training, you wont gain muscle without resting, what i've bin told is to give a days break between workouts (mines generally a mix of cardio and resistance work for bout 1hr 15 mins), so a days rest, 24 hours?

So is this, go on monday, leave tuesday out, go on wednesday, miss thursday, go fri, miss sat, go sun.

Or, go monday 6pm-7pm wait 24hours, go tuesday 6pm-7pm the following day?

kinda confused, coz i want to maxmise my workouts, i was thinking go monday using resitance mahcines and doing cardio then tuesday, stay at home and just do sit ups, pushups, dips, planks and other situps and not use resistance machine or freeweights...

Any ideas or comments?

thanks!

2. Maverick

Maverick New Member

It depends what work you're doing.

I wouldn't do heavy weightlifting (of the same muscle group) or HIIT without 2 days inbetween (72 hours - 3 days really) ie. monday - thursday - sunday

But jogging and light workouts, wouldn't have a problem with 48 hours or even 24.

It's tempting to train a lot but good rest is essential.

Don't forget that each person will have slightly different required rest times. And good nutrition during the rest period is definitely a factor.

In your case, if you're doing cardio and light resistance work, leaving a day inbetween (remember this is 48 hours) sounds ok to me. But only you can measure how good it suits your body.

3. Forest Bill

Forest Bill New Member

Use free weights instead of resistance machines.

4. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Training 3 times a week is the best bet. You muscles will need time to heal, and if you keep pushing them, you will never get enough rest, and in affect, wont get stronger.

My mate used to train every day except sunday. He was weak and tired all the time. When he change it to 3 days a week he was stronger and gained muscle mass alot quicker.

5. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

Some people like myself don't really have a choice (although my friend says he can drive me to the gym if we train together).

6. NaughtyKnight

Do that, just make sure that it has these.
    1. Power rack (for presses and squats)
    2. Chin up bar
    3. Dip bar
    4. Weight belts (to be used with dips and chinups)

Im in the process of looking for another gym also.

7. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Resistance machines are not terrible innefective just not as good as free irons

8. MattN

MattN Valued Member

I guess you could try to deadlift them but they aren't good for much else. :cool:

9. NaughtyKnight

I hate all machines. They were made to make exercises easier, and I am a strong believer that all working out should be hard and painful, not nice and easy.

Hit the free weights, compound exercise. You cant go wrong with this.

10. Funky Phantom

Funky Phantom Valued Member

They don't work the variety of stabiliser muscles that free weights do.

I suppose using machines is better than no training at all, but you could probably save up and get yourself a barbell, chin-up bar, bench and power rack (not necessarily all in one go) at your own house for a reasonable price.

11. NaughtyKnight

im looking in to buying a power rack. Wish I could build one like Adam. They cost $800 aus.

chinup bar is a good idea, just make sure you get a weight belt.

12. Funky Phantom

You don't need one immediately, but in the long run you certainly will.

I got a chin-up bar about a week ago and its made me realise what a trully pathetic specimine I am. I can barely do one good chin-up and I ache for days afterwards. My bench arrived a few days ago though and my olympic barbell should be in the post, so soon I'll be big and strong. :p

13. NaughtyKnight

Chin ups show you how much of a man you really are. I havent dont them for a while now. Im aiming to get back in to it in about 2 weeks.

My aim is to put on 20 kg of muscle in 8 weeks, by using.
    1.Dips
    2.Chinups
    3.Squats
    4.Deadlifts
    5.Curls

14. Funky Phantom

By that standard, I'm somewhere down the 'Richard Simmons' end on the manliness scale at the moment! :D

If you're looking to put on that much muscle make sure you eat like a beast (especially your protein) and sleep a lot (you already knew this, but just to remind you).

As for your choice of exercises, I don't think Curls really belong there, especially when you could be doing stuff like Bench Press, Military Press and so on, but on other threads you've seemed pretty sure about the Curls so I'm guessing I'm not going to be able to persuade you to give them a miss...

15. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

You wont add 20 kg of muscle in 8 weeks. You have to gain 2.5kg of muscle per WEEK!!!!.

Even 20lbs in 8 weeks seems impossible.

16. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Yeah, that sounds pretty unrealistic. I skyrocketed when I first started training with weights but even then it was only about 12lbs in a month, then started to slow down quickly.

17. NaughtyKnight

LOL, I can dream guys. I have seen it done so its my goal to do it.

Anything is possible, the biggest thing is sleep, lost of quality animal products and going hard like i've never gone before.

I'll let you guys know when i start, Ill give you a week by week rundown.

18. Funky Phantom

Good luck Knight! :D

You definitely know that you're doing and even though 20kg does sound like a tall order, you should certainly make some good headway towards that goal in 8 weeks, even if you don't reach it. :)

19. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Well, I've never seen it done (at least drug-free) and I've been coached in weight training by a former Mr UK. However, let us know how you get on. I'm sure you'll make substantial progress and having a goal by itself will lead you to progress faster. Have you checked out any of the weight training or body building books ('Brawn' and the like)?

Good luck!

20. NaughtyKnight

:D , wow guys I actually thought I was gonna get flamed hard. Thanks for the good wishes.

I have a good idea on what Im going to be doing. I have got my diet pretty much sorted after reading a hell of alot of books, and speaking to a few doctors and the like.

Im looking around for a good gym at the momemnt, my old one was crap, it didnt have dip bars :)cry: i know). Im looking for one with a quailty set of:

1. Chinup Bar
    2. Dip bar
    3. Power rack
    4. Weight belts
    5. Grip Machine

When I organise myself a wee bit more, I'll start and keep you guys up to date. I want a medal if I do it. :D