24 Steps Tai Chi Chuan

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by cluebird, Aug 30, 2007.

1. cluebird

cluebird For various reasons --

Does anyone know the differences between health benefits of the original, long, Tai Chi Chuan, and the 24 step one?

2. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

*looks to JK and the can of worms that cluebird opened* :D

3. fatb0y

fatb0y Valued Member

The Original Tai Chi Chuan - which one would that be then?

:D

4. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

If you practice hard, it doesn't matter what style of Taiji you practice; Chen Yang, Wu, 24 step, 42 step, 108 step... It's all the same. What is important is the effort you put in.

Train hard, and you will reap the rewards, no matter what form you learn.

Also, there is no "original" long form. I would assume you are referring to the "traditional" Yang style long form. My above answer still applies.

5. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

The only thing that matters is the quality and quantity of practice.

practising a short form a few times can be just as good as practicing a long form once.

6. middleway

middleway Valued Member

the first TJ form i learnt was the 24 step ... its a nice little for if you stick some decent mechanics in there

cheers

Chris

7. cluebird

Sounds like what I've heard before, but I wonder if there's been any dispute in China or elsewhere that one side things the 48 or 108 step form is more useful. My bet is that someone has said that, claiming that the long form is more effective, and the short one is watered-down.

8. cluebird

Thanks everyone who answered my question.

9. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

There most likely has been such a divide.

But as I, and others have said, it doesn't matter what form you practice, but how often and how diligently you practice.

10. Taijiman

Taijiman Valued Member

Probably the biggest difference I can think of (other than length/number of techniques) is the 24 form uses a rocking step when moving from bo stance to bo stance, where the Yang Cheng Fu style rotates the front foot and steps forward like many other martial arts. It's basically for health purposes so noobies don't injure their knees. Other than that there's some slight differences in the postures, some being more open or closed than the standard Yang style versions. Yang style isn't my main thing though.

11. cluebird

Thanks again.

12. middleway

middleway Valued Member

remember though that forms are training methods and blueprints. There is no reason you cant learn the old yang mechanics of peng, lu, ji and an ... the way of moving the body and the principles and put it into modern forms ... just dont make it correct from the eyes of the wu shu judges .... make if correct in relation to sound mechanics and principles.

cheers
    Chris