2 miles every day or 3.5 miles 3 times a week

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Slavist, May 16, 2006.

1. Slavist

Slavist New Member

Hello! I just started a running routine and I was wondering which one is better for losing weight and cardio health? Is it better to run 2 miles every day or 3.5 miles three times a week. I am 6.1, 182 pounds and I really want to get rid of some extremely stubborn belly fat, which is partly due to genetics. I also want to improve my endurance.

Thanks for your recs!

2. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

i'd do the 3.5 miles 3 times a week, just because you have 4 days for your body to rest. you always want rest days, or else your body would fall apart.

3. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

To increase endurance, I would just add sprints to my 3 days. Wazzabi has it right. If you are to do marathons, gradually build to more days and distance! :Angel:

4. ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion Valued Member

Sprints>long distance

5. Slurms McKenzie

Slurms McKenzie New Member

I'd say the 3.5 miles. Plenty of rest is a good thing. But maybe that's cos I'm lazy :D

6. ItalianStallion

Yeh, you must be lazy to suggest that :p Doing that once a week wont to much. As I said do intervals instead of this long distance pansy crap :woo: , intervals will burn off more calories, therefore=more weight loss.

7. special43543

special43543 Special Member

Running long(er) distances will help get me into better shape and tone my body a little bit? I heard this, I can imagine why swimming would do this, but never imaged why running would.

And yes, I know I used the forbidden "t" word but I don't care :p

8. ItalianStallion

I dont understand your logic, why would swimming 'tone' you and not running. 'Toned' as you put it refers to the definition of your muscles, therefore:
    'Tone'=Muscles+Low fat
    And that means, to be 'toned' you have to lose fat. And you do that by sprinting.

*washes out mouth with listerine*