1st Kyu (Brown) Grading Demo Vid

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Ajo, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Ajo

Ajo Jujitsu Fiend

Just been given a copy of a recorded grading session from the other week, if anyones interested.

Not the best quality throws/techniques as I had just been uke for 8 other people beforehand, and the guy im using here has a few kilo's and inches on me. Shouldnt be making excuses i know, generally i dont have a problem training with bigger guys.

Any questions fire away

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKQyBAtP-5Q&feature=g-upl"]JiuJitsu - 1st Kyu - YouTube[/ame]

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Next time smack your partner for being such a poor uke.

There's no point in you trying to show what you've got if your uke is acting like that.

Hope you did ok though. :)

3. Ajo

Ajo Jujitsu Fiend

well i passed it, so onto learning my black now. I'll let him off this time as he was dying of flu. I would have smacked him if i caught something! I have some better looking examples on disc but the club doesnt like spreading videos without peoples consent for obvious reasons.

4. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

First of all, thanks for sharing. To put it into context, how long have you been training in your style, and at what grade are you then licensed to teach?

I'm not sure if you were looking for comments on the video, so I hope you don't mind if I offer a little critique as an instructor of a modern jujutsu style.

1. Range

A nice range of techniques was shown here, from some fairly basic moves to some reasonably flashy ones. You didn't look like you had much trouble remembering the form of the techniques, though many of them could use a lot more practice before I'd say you have them mastered (same with everyone though!)

2. Attacks

Quite frankly, these were awful. At no point were you in any danger of being hurt even if you completely missed the block and actively stepped into the punch. Many of the attacks were actually aimed past you, not at you.

If this had happened in my style, the attacker would have failed his grading and you'd have had better attacks from someone, probably an instructor.

I think many of the other issues I'll point out come from this problem, which is likely down to the way your instructor runs his class rather than being the fault of the students.

3. Blocks

I think the poor attacks have led to somewhat lazy blocking. There's no attempt to move off the centreline when parrying, nor am I convinced that the existing blocking stance is strong enough to perform a block strong enough to actually stop a committed punch in its tracks.

Best bet is to put on gloves and a helmet (with a faceguard) and actually try the same blocks against full contact attacks, both straight punches, slight hooks and full-on haymakers. This will almost certainly benefit everyone, though you'll need to be careful at first, as even with helmet and gloves you can still concuss someone if it all goes wrong. As such, attackers should be prepared to pull the strikes until you're all sure you can actually defend effectively.

4. Opponent's Stance and Balance

None of the attacks showed an opponent stepping into a realistic fighting stance when throwing their punches. Most of them just stood still after throwing their half-hearted punches and allowed themselves to be moved to the floor with minimal effort.

Most collapsed mid-way through your throwing manoeuvres, offering you no opportunity to show the full range of your throwing ability. I saw several attempts at what looked like an ashi-guruma, but in all cases the opponent was already falling without requiring the leg (I use this throw as a combination technique with koshi-guruma, for example, as it allows the leg of a resisting opponent to be removed without varying the grip or the upper body rotation).

The single biggest issue here is that every throw will work on someone simply standing there, while many will only work given specific setups if an opponent is acting like they're actually in a fight.

5. Throwing Stance

Similar to 3, I think the poor stance and balance of your opponents has led to the throws getting a little lazy. In many cases I saw a number of postural or footwork problems that would make it very hard to throw a non-compliant opponent. In particular, I think your legs were very straight and your back very bent in a number of throwing attempts, which my own students find out won't work on big heavy guys like me if I don't want to move!

I'd be very interested to see a video where the opponent adopted something akin to a fighting stance of their own while attacking, as this should correct a number of their problems and will give you an opportunity to show how you can uproot someone from a more stable stance.

I should note that this is the level of criticism I'd give a mid-level student going for their next grading, though it would normally be spaced out over a number of 2-hour training sessions rather than delivered all at once, so I apologise if this comes across as overly negative.

Dunc likes this.
  5. Ajo

Ajo Jujitsu Fiend

Thanks for the reply, some excellent tips i will definately work on. I wasnt looking for tips per se, but its always welcome!

I have been training for 4 years, once or twice a week. One thing i have always struggled with was my stance. Being very unflexible i find it tough to keep my back straight and bend my legs, but its definately soemthing in the back of my kind when im training.

As for the attacking, i would say it was partly lazyness/part illness which was the cause.tl this guy is actually a doorman/security guard so he knows his stuff.

The way the grading goes in our school is that only the defender (me) gets graded on the techniques. The other guy gets his own turn later. Generally we are encouraged to share our favourite techniques as soon as we feel comfortable to, with higher grades doing it more often. Usuallly shodan and above take turns in teaching roles.

Id love to get some gloves on and have some full pressure testing situations, but not eveyone feels the same way!

Ill take all your comments on board, basically i agree with the lot of it!
    Just thought id put the vid out there, if anyone was interested in jujitsu at least it gives them a small idea, without looking at all the flashy looking vids online.

6. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Good stuff, I always enjoy seeing takedowns, especially from other styles. I might try some of these out at the dojo :)

Also, out of curiosity, have you tried these takedowns on any non martial artists? I find, and this is counter intuitive, that many martial artist (knowing they will go down anyway) go down easily so that they can land on their own terms, it's good to practice takedowns on someone who's only defense is to resist, as its a whole different ball game. Your uke seems to go easy, not saying you couldn't take a resisting opponent, it's just good to practice on one as often as possible. It's easy to fall into bad habits.

Again though, good stuff!

7. mebsd

mebsd Valued Member

as the other mentioned, the curriculum for 1st kyu is ok, but I will also add some free sparing and maybe some ground locks/escapes, as well.

and my first impression was that you had the examination for yellow/orange belt, no offense. My point is that from 3rd kyu you should do your techniques under more pressure, under more realistic attack, ...

8. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Actually, all of the Uke's looked pretty similar in their attacks, not a lot of realism or energy in them.

It can lead you into sloppy practice because you will walk into danger zones that you aren't aware of as they don't bother (or know how to) highlight them. A lot of the entries were:

Block, Step and Enter, Throw

That middle step will wipe you out every time if you entered in the way you did in the vid. I get there was no threat so no need to cover, but thats going to be the problem with that sort of training.

Test, and up the pressure with your peers and senpai to focus on these, make sure that they are giving you any presents, enter using guard, elbows, hands up etc.

9. mattt

mattt Valued Member

And good on you for putting up a vid, ballsy.

10. mattt

mattt Valued Member

You mean, have you ever tried them out against people in the pub, who also aren't martial artists?

11. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Good for you for putting up a video and inviting comments.

So here's mine (judo perspective for what it's worth).

Your partner is doing a good job at making you look bad.

Having said that you could have forced him to actually be thrown by the appropriate use of kuzushi (unbalancing. Your ippon seoi nage's especially were weak because you tried to fit yourself into the pocket where your partner stepped. In future force his arm up and pull him towards you and onto his toes, then actually throw him.

How much randori does you club do? I mean proper full speed/full resistance training? Stuff like the lack of kuzushi and some lazy foot positions are usually due to not having to use the techniques all the time to actually throw someone. I could be wrong though.

Otherwise, keep training. I'm not that far ahead of you grade wise in judo terms but you need to make your throws more dynamic imho. Well done on passing the test however.

12. Ajo

Ajo Jujitsu Fiend

I see where you are coming from here, so dont take this the wrong way, but i think you were referring to the throws we call the Winding Throw (inside and outside) the inside version of which does look similar to ippon seoi nage. I find the winding throws the hardest of all the 1st Kyu, which is to essentially use their momentum and wrap yourself under their arm, and over the go....in theory. I admit i dont make it look good here!

Thanks for all the responses, keep them coming! So far i guess my main aim is to work on my initial counter, footwork and balance... easy! :liar:

13. righty

righty Valued Member

Another comment here regarding how crap your uke was. And it looks like he had a dark belt on too. Honestly if he was that sick to do that poorly then he would have been better off not doing it. Because it's making you look worse. It's not just unrealistic if someone tries to lightly tap you instead of punch you but also makes your job more difficult as you create all the kuzushi yourself when normally you will be given at least a bit by a committed attack.

I would much rather see a slow attack but with realistic positioning and posture than a sloppy attack that may be faster but won't do any damage if it connects.

That being said congratulations. I'm presuming you passed even though you didn't explicitly state it.

14. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Lol, not exactly, people at the pub don't take kindly to being chucked in their heads. I mean any friends who would be interested in picking up a few tricks or are willing to donate themselves.

15. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

He was a terrible uke. All that uncommitted "sort of" punching stuff.

Your partner does you a disservice if he doesn't really try to punch (or attack) you.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  16. Haakon

Haakon Valued Member

I agree with Aegis assessment, and sadly think that it would apply to the tests at the school I train at too. Something that bothers me more all the time.

Keeping your back straight isn't always a bad thing, when people bend over their balance usually goes with it and makes it easier for their opponent to throw them, or take them down with when thrown.

I would put more focus and intensity in your own strikes too, such as those around 1:40. You lean back a lot on your side kicks as well, being a jijjutsu school you may not work on them as much, certainly not like a TKD or HKD school does, but if you're going to use them you should learn them well, especially by 1st kyu.

One other thing, just to be super picky and it's a pet peeve of mine, when you're kicking at 1:58 you let you back hand flail around (it's a very common problem) you should keep it in close and forward so you can use it to block or grab as needed.

Techniques often don't work well and look poor when there isn't any intent in the attack, when the attack isn't committed there isn't that much need for defense.

Congratulations on your test, and kudos for putting up the video, it takes more guts and nerve to do that than to take the test!!

17. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

The video was well edited!

At 00:28 you totally gave up your back! That's not your fault, it's actually the technique, but still.

18. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

You passed with that?

Get your hips in for throws, I don't want to sound harsh but your technique is dreadful. Your Ukes are just sliding off you, you arn't throwing them.

These are yellow belt mistakes seriously, you're not off balancing your opponent when he strikes either. Your ukes strikes are dismally slow and thrown off to the side of you and thrown with no power or conviction at all, your techniques are not as intense and refined as I would except for someone taking their brown belt grading.

Do you live in the Wirral?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  19. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Have to agree with many of the comments already posted. The uke was rubbish and the examiners should have replaced him to properly test your technique.

I would look to work on your throws and have better body contact especially the hip throws ....there was too much of gap between tori and uke which allows for counters or poor Technique

.you seem to have a good understanding of the mechanics and syllabus now go and train hard to make them "FLOW". In other words try not to be static when throwing...the uke should move, or you should move best bet is you both move blending with the uke s energy.

Thank you for posting and those critiquing please remember you were a beginner once .....and no-one is expert .....

Smurf:Angel:

20. Ajo

Ajo Jujitsu Fiend

thanks for all the comments, the more i read and rewatch the video the more i totally agree, even if it is hard to take in that my technique is not as good as i thought...

gonna train very hard now i have freed up some time in my schedule. Any specific points in order to work on the throws? i understand i need to be closer and smoother, but i mean in terms of exercises/movements to consider which may help?

stay tuned for a new improved video in the future!......